News   Apr 26, 2024
 94     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 324     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 516     0 

Yonge Street, North York Streetscape Improvements

The traffic on the Bloor bike lanes is awful at most times of day. There is a feature on Google Maps (mobile version only) which shows the worst congested roads in Toronto and the number of minutes of delay on each one. Bloor is near the top of the list most days.

There are only a handful of bikes riding on Bloor at this time of year, compared to many more cars and massive numbers of pedestrians and TTC subway riders which vastly outnumber the cars.

The traffic on the Bloor bike lanes is awful at most times of day. There is a feature on Google Maps (mobile version only) which shows the worst congested roads in Toronto and the number of minutes of delay on each one. Bloor is near the top of the list most days.

There are only a handful of bikes riding on Bloor at this time of year, compared to many more cars and massive numbers of pedestrians and TTC subway riders which vastly outnumber the cars.

I flew along Bloor midday today, as it is possible to do almost every day not at rush hour.

Rush hour traffic was terrible along Bloor before the bike lanes, continues to be today, and likely will be forever in the future.

And it's simply untrue that there are only a handful of bikes using the bike lanes around this time of year.

0-for-3.

Councillor Fillon's motion to reinstate funding for Re-Imagining Yonge LOST 24-20. John Tory whipped the vote at the last moment in support of Shiner. The future of this project is now in doubt.

It has more to do with the Executive Committee approving the motion rather than Shiner filing it. He's only accountable to his ward after all, and his ward certainly does not include Yonge St...
well if his ward does not include yonge why is he so concerned with the notion of loosing parking lanes!

The section of Yonge between Highway 401 and Finch is extremely busy and traffic will get even worse if you narrow it from 3 lanes each way to 2, and get TTC bus 97, subway replacement shuttle buses and GO buses 19, 27, 32, 34, 67 and 96 severely delayed.

Look at the Bloor bike lanes - traffic got much worse when these were installed. This is especially true in the area around Avenue where the road narrows from 4 lanes east of Avenue to 2 lanes west of Avenue.
why can;t people tranfer to a subway on yonge? Obviously they do not mind the traffic

You can't transfer from Go Transit to the subway because, unlike every other transit system in the GTA, the TTC doesn't offer a co-fare.

You can't transfer from Go Transit to the subway because, unlike every other transit system in the GTA, the TTC doesn't offer a co-fare.

You have that exactly backward. You can't transfer from GO Transit to subway because GO Transit doesn't offer a TTC co-fare as they do for every other transit system in the GTA.

All those local transit systems get their full fare. GO takes the hit.

That's a lie. It's a negotiated agreement between Go Transit and the local transit agencies - the cost of the discount is split between the two. The TTC has historically refused to try and set up this arrangement, but they did agree on the $60 metropass sticker in 2015, and last July city council voted to "direct the City Manager to negotiate a co-fare system with Metrolinx, similar to that current in place for other GTA municipalities, for existing GO Transit routes currently operating in Toronto." (Agenda item 2016.EX16.1)

You have that exactly backward. You can't transfer from GO Transit to subway because GO Transit doesn't offer a TTC co-fare as they do for every other transit system in the GTA.

I could not find a funding agreement one way or the other on various websites. Do you have support for your assertion? I thought it was jointly funded.

thanks

Do you have support for your assertion? I thought it was jointly funded.

A reasonable question.

Page 3: http://www.mississauga.ca/file/COM/09CorpReportTransitFares2011.pdf

"GO fare Integration: ... whereby the City is reimbursed fully for the difference ($1.85 per ride) between the proposed adult ticket price of $2.50 and the cash fare of $0.65."

I don't follow other 905 transit agencies very closely so I made an assumption that if Mississauga gets full value for their co-fare trip that the others do as well. I'm also not aware of any renegotiations in this area since it was initially setup (that doesn't mean there haven't been any, just that I don't know of them).

Last edited:
Councillor Fillon's motion to reinstate funding for Re-Imagining Yonge LOST 24-20. John Tory whipped the vote at the last moment in support of Shiner. The future of this project is now in doubt.

Yup, gross.

Tired, trodden issues that have been repeatedly proven false:

Shiner, whose Ward 24 runs south to Finch, strongly disputes that. He — not Tory — spoke to a majority of councillors to get a pause on $4 million in design work on a project yet to go to council. Bikeways reducing vehicle lanes from three in each direction to two would worsen gridlock, flood side streets with overflow traffic and dangerously aim cyclists at a busy transit hub, he said.

“There are small businesses depending on the parking in front of them” that bike lanes would remove, he added in an interview. “Members of council don’t own the ward — this is a citywide issues, not a John Filion issue, and Yonge St. is really a highway.”

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...k-might-become-casualty-of-budget-debate.html

Every part of the latter half of that statement is literally insane. “There are small businesses depending on the parking in front of them” that bike lanes would remove, he added in an interview. “Members of council don’t own the ward — this is a citywide issues, not a John Filion issue, and Yonge St. is really a highway.”

A reasonable question.

Page 3: http://www.mississauga.ca/file/COM/09CorpReportTransitFares2011.pdf

"GO fare Integration: ... whereby the City is reimbursed fully for the difference ($1.85 per ride) between the proposed adult ticket price of $2.50 and the cash fare of $0.65."

I don't follow other 905 transit agencies very closely so I made an assumption that if Mississauga gets full value for their co-fare trip that the others do as well. I'm also not aware of any renegotiations in this area since it was initially setup (that doesn't mean there haven't been any, just that I don't know of them).

Awesome find. Thanks. I searched more recent stuff and couldn't find anything.

The most current information hides the GO subsidy well. I guess that's why GO brands it a "co-fare". So they can pass the revenue onto the municipality without showing it as revenue and an expense in GO's financial statements. And the municipalities do not have to show it as a subsidy in their's.

Sneaky accounting. I'm surprised the auditor has not questioned it.

I'm really surprised that GO has not started paid parking. Either via a transponder or via a swipe of Presto when you leave the parking lot. It would even out the traffic outside the parking lot and encourage more people to take transit. Maybe a $2 reduction in fares across the board and a $3 parking fee

Every part of the latter half of that statement is literally insane. “There are small businesses depending on the parking in front of them” that bike lanes would remove, he added in an interview. “Members of council don’t own the ward — this is a citywide issues, not a John Filion issue, and Yonge St. is really a highway.”
It brings back the question, does the street serve locals or the region. Neither side is wrong. The real benefit of Re-imagine Yonge to the locals will be the improved pedestrian realm. I doubt many locals are regular cyclists. The demographics here is different from Bloor West. If they live along Yonge in NYCC, they don't need a bike..
Yes I know many on UT who are from the area are/may be regular cyclists, but this is UT we are talking about.

Back