News   Aug 28, 2024
 716     3 
News   Aug 28, 2024
 388     0 
News   Aug 28, 2024
 434     0 

Why I support the TTC (sort of).

I don't think I've been on a 30 year old bus this year. (not sure how old the H6's are)

i just started taking the GO-BUS last week , as i got a new 2nd job near union station , and let me say i will never go back to TTC ever again !!!!!! , what a difference !!!! , even though i have to pay $5.55 per one way its still worth it , they are so clean and the service is amazing

also what a time saver !!!! , a 1hr trip on TTC , takes me now 25-30mins on the GO-BUS

Or the daily/weekly/monthly pass, after calculating the frequency of use. If you only use the TTC once or twice a month, you should still get tokens since they are still good after price increases... at least until the tokens get replaced by Presto and/or smart card technology.

Not everyone has the option of shelling out a lump sum at once for tokens or passes.
I almost always pay cash fares. To get tokens I either have to walk to the subway station, or walk in the opposite direction. I'd rather just get on the bus in front of my house to the subway station and be done with it. The extra 25 cents isn't worth the walk.

I'm well aware what the cash fare is. My question was "Who pays $3 a trip?". No regular user should be paying that for a trip.

"abuse us"? Who did I abuse?
You abused us all with your foul language, and your thread highjacking. If you are as unpleasant human in person as you are here, it's no wonder that you think people "abuse" you.

If you look at my posts in this forum.
I believe that is what we are examining here ... you highjacked a positive thread about the TTC, you used obscene language, and you persist in trying to tell us these stories. Yes, I've encountered the occasional rudeness from someone who works for TTC. It's not that common, and certainly not as common or as extreme as rudeness I've observed in customers.

The fact of the matter is, a single fare is $3 which is at the high end of the spectrum when you look at transit fares around the world
A $3 flat fare for the entire system iis high end of the spectrum? In Montreal where a monthly pass is only $70 the cash fare is $2.75. In Vancouver, the 1-zone fare is $2.50, and to cover the size of Toronto you need the 2-zone fare that is $3.75. In Ottawa a cash fare is $3.25. Mississauga is $3. York Region is $3.25. The claim that are fares are on the high end of the spectrum is nothing short of absurd.

...and we're still using 20 year old buses and 30 year old trains.
Do you even live in Toronto? Do you use transit? When was the last time you saw a bus that was 20 years old? Look at the fleet roster, there are 113 buses older than 15 years. And almost 900 built in 2006 to 2010. With another almost 500 built from 2002 to 2005. Those older buses non/AC should all be gone within a year or so.

And trains? Most agencies use trains up to 40-years old. In London, they are just replacing the 1967 trains on the Victoria line, in use since the line opened. And they will be replacing trains from the early 1970s in 2013. Montreal's newest subway car was built in the 1976, and many date to 1963 ... and are expected to continue running until at least 2014 ... when they will be over 50 years old.

Toronto currently has 678 subway cars; only 170 are older than 24 years, the oldest being built in 1974/75 - the same vintage as Montreal's newest car. However Toronto is buying 420 new cars that will be delivered between 2010 and 2013. By 2013 are oldest car will be built in 1995. Some have criticized TTC that in 2013 they will replace the cars built in 1986-89 even though they are only 24-27 years old.

The system is old and outdated.
The buses are mostly quite new. The subway trains are newer than average, and in a couple of years will be all very new. This claim of yours is clearly wrong.

Given just how wrong you are on these items ... one can presume that your stories about being regularly abused by TTC personal is equally as wrong.

Not everyone has the option of shelling out a lump sum at once for tokens or passes.
I almost always pay cash fares. To get tokens I either have to walk to the subway station, or walk in the opposite direction. I'd rather just get on the bus in front of my house to the subway station and be done with it. The extra 25 cents isn't worth the walk.
Tokens are $2.50 - cash fares are $3. That's more than 25¢. As you are in subway stations, you can simply buy tokens there. You can buy them in many corner stores, and any Shoppers Drug Mart (or at least any one I've asked for tokens in). $25 for tokens is hardly a huge expenditure - especially if you are laying out $6 for a return trip.

Last edited:
Depends on your definition of regular, but sure they do.
Fair enough. No regular user should be paying that. By regular, I'd say someone who uses TTC enough that they are complaining about being abused by TTC staff on a weekly basis is pretty regular. Post corrected.

My last response to you since you're overly dramatic and this discussion is not going anywhere.

I'm well aware what the cash fare is. My question was "Who pays $3 a trip?". No regular user should be paying that for a trip.

A lot of people pay $3 for a trip. Do some more research.

You abused us all with your foul language, and your thread highjacking. If you are as unpleasant human in person as you are here, it's no wonder that you think people "abuse" you.

Dude, are you 3? You're the only person here who felt "abused". Again, you're overly dramatic. I'm curious to see how you spin this

I believe that is what we are examining here ... you highjacked a positive thread about the TTC, you used obscene language, and you persist in trying to tell us these stories. Yes, I've encountered the occasional rudeness from someone who works for TTC. It's not that common, and certainly not as common or as extreme as rudeness I've observed in customers.

Again, stop being overly dramatic. I voiced my opinions and you had a hissy fit. This is a discussion board, get over it.

Do you even live in Toronto? Do you use transit? When was the last time you saw a bus that was 20 years old? Look at the fleet roster, there are 113 buses older than 15 years. And almost 900 built in 2006 to 2010. With another almost 500 built from 2002 to 2005. Those older buses non/AC should all be gone within a year or so.

I do use transit qite regularly. I've been on old buses along the Yorkland route, West Mall, Van Horne, etc... What are you saying here? You agree with me that there are still a good number of old buses being used.

And trains? Most agencies use trains up to 40-years old. In London, they are just replacing the 1967 trains on the Victoria line, in use since the line opened. And they will be replacing trains from the early 1970s in 2013. Montreal's newest subway car was built in the 1976, and many date to 1963 ... and are expected to continue running until at least 2014 ... when they will be over 50 years old.

Toronto currently has 678 subway cars; only 170 are older than 24 years, the oldest being built in 1974/75 - the same vintage as Montreal's newest car. However Toronto is buying 420 new cars that will be delivered between 2010 and 2013. By 2013 are oldest car will be built in 1995. Some have criticized TTC that in 2013 they will replace the cars built in 1986-89 even though they are only 24-27 years old.

The buses are mostly quite new. The subway trains are newer than average, and in a couple of years will be all very new. This claim of yours is clearly wrong.

source?

Given just how wrong you are on these items ... one can presume that your stories about being regularly abused by TTC personal is equally as wrong.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/ttc/article/797775

You're either a TTC worker or a shill, pick one.

My last response to you since you're overly dramatic and this discussion is not going anywhere.
You highjacked the thread to whine about the TTC; where do you expect it to go?

Yet you whine that this is higher than most others. I demonstrate that it is in line with most others. Why do you say that it is at the high end of the spectrum?

Dude, are you 3?
How does that even make sense? How can you think someone who is posting here for 3 years is 3? Dude ... are you human?

You're the only person here who felt "abused". Again, you're overly dramatic.
So now after abusing us with your foul language and thread high-jacking, your going to start making accusations. Perhaps if you should be apologising for your obscenities and exaggerations.

What do you mean ... I've never said stuff doesn't happen. I'm just saying that a single customer being abused on a regular basis is either complete bull, or doing something wrong. Most of us here use the TTC on a regular basis, and we are not seeing what you are telling us. Sure, stuff happens ... 2,000 complaints last year. Heck, I've made dozens myself ... though not one was about abusive drivers. Late drivers, lost drivers, confused drivers, short-turning drivers, non A/Ced drivers ... sure ... I probably should have filed a couple of complaints about abusive station attendants, in the last 5 years ... but I digress. The Star obtained the complaints filed with TTC. Not suprisingly, the complaints contain ... complaints. With 2,000 a year that's ... 6 a day. I'm surprised it's that low ... I've filed that many some days alone on missing buses, lack of A/C, etc.

You highjacked the thread to whine about the TTC; where do you expect it to go.

Yet you whine that this is higher than most others. I demonstrate that it is in line with most others.

Dude, are you 3?
How does that even make sense? How can you think someone who is posting here for 3 years is 3? Dude ... are you human?

Again, stop being overly dramatic. I voiced my opinions and you had a hissy fit. This is a discussion board, get over it.
You made completely false statements about the state of the TTC, that aren't supported by simple facts. You can't do that, and not expect a reaction. Is this how you get abused by drivers? Do you tell them they are having hissy fits? With that kind of behaviour, it's no wonder you think you are abused!

I do use transit qite regularly. I've been on old buses along the Yorkland route, West Mall, Van Horne, etc... What are you saying here? You agree with me that there are still a good number of old buses being used.
There are still older buses in use ... but the vast majority of the fleet is new. The older buses remain on the same routes, so that certain routes always have older buses - such as Bay. West Mall and Van Horne are both supposed to have low-floor wheelchair accessible buses. I'm not sure what you mean by Yorkland ... both the Pharmacy buses, and the Victoria Park buses should be low-floor as well. The oldest any of these buses should be 2002 ... except West Mall could be done with 1998 New Flyer stock from Queensway ... but it's still only 12-years old.

For the ages of all the equipment? It's all in the service reports they issue monthly ... the most recent is http://www3.ttc.ca/PDF/Transit_Planning/Service_Summary_2010_06_20.pdf - see the final page (page 70 which shows all the series of buses, the age, and the number in service, including the equipment on order. The information is dated May 10, 2010.

You're either a TTC worker or a shill, pick one.
What, because someone disagrees with you they are a TTC worker or a shill? No, I work for a private company, have never worked for TTC, the City, or worked on a contract from either the TTC or the city, in my life. I have no renumeration at all for pointing your the errors and improbabilities in what you write.

I just tire of hearing this myth that the TTC is crap, and service is so much better anywhere else.

You always get horror stories and they should be dealt with immediately and with a firm hand. That said, there are bad apples in every work place but because it's the TTC it gets the news. What about the other million passengers that are always greated with a hello and a thank you....................you never here about them.
Much of the problem has to do with the TTC and City Hall. The unions have got a strangle hold on the system and City Hall won't say bo. Running automated trains with drivers to ensure the doors close?
Also construction costs for rapid transit is abnormally high because the city won't put out to tender any jobs that are not done by unionized labour. I am a socially progressive person who supports a strong minimum wage but my god these are construction workers. Whether they are unionized or not they are well paid.
Also one of the reasons for the TTC's malaise and the patrons worn nerves is that even when they get money for rapid transit they don't know how to use it.
For all the bitching and moaning at McGuinty he's the best premier Torontonians have ever had. Despite the delays he is still GIVING the city $9 billion this decade for rapid/mass transit and not asking the city to cough up a dime. Most cities in the western world would give their left nut to have that kind of funding. That doesn't even include the billion he gave to replace the entire streetcar fleet. I don't blame the guy for getting mad at the city and Miller.
Then there is the issue of where the money goes. Nine billion dollars and all Toronto is getting is streetcars and all this in a city that, for some that only the maker knows, refuses to use it's rail corridors for mass/rapid transit. That money due to 100 metre stations only required and running down rail ROW could get Toronto atleast 50km of subway as opposed to light rail that no body wants.
Things are made worse by incompetent mayors like Miller or any of your forth coming idiots.
Smitherman who is probably the front runner whips together a map on Sunday afternoon with bizarre ideas for service and expansion of the subways where it isn't at all needed.
In many ways Toronto is in the fix they are in due to completely it's own making.

Also construction costs for rapid transit is abnormally high because the city won't put out to tender any jobs that are not done by unionized labour. I am a socially progressive person who supports a strong minimum wage but my god these are construction workers. Whether they are unionized or not they are well paid.

Wasn't the contractor of the amazing, already at capacity Canada Line sued for not paying their immigrant workers a fair wage? Hmm.. Funny how the Canada Line still came in at over 2 Billion for a system with nearly the capacity of surface LRT!

i just started taking the GO-BUS last week , as i got a new 2nd job near union station , and let me say i will never go back to TTC ever again !!!!!! , what a difference !!!! , even though i have to pay $5.55 per one way its still worth it , they are so clean and the service is amazing

also what a time saver !!!! , a 1hr trip on TTC , takes me now 25-30mins on the GO-BUS

GO is amazing. For us suburban folk, the TTC isn't really an option. It's a rare day that I have to resort to taking the TTC.

As you are in subway stations, you can simply buy tokens there. You can buy them in many corner stores, and any Shoppers Drug Mart (or at least any one I've asked for tokens in).
I know where to buy tokens, I choose not too.

$25 for tokens is hardly a huge expenditure - especially if you are laying out $6 for a return trip.
$6 isn't $25. It's barely a quarter of it.

Tokens are a really antiquated, although quaint, form of fare payment. I can't remember the last time I bought a token. When I have had to take the TTC, I've paid cash. Last time was probably New Year's though.

if you use TTC more than once a week and pay cash, you have no right to complain about the fare price.

Back