News   Oct 04, 2024
 242     0 
News   Oct 03, 2024
 759     0 
News   Oct 03, 2024
 414     1 

Why I support the TTC (sort of).

No one said their service is perfect. But come on now...he's 4 for 4, and I'm 3 for about 800 (this year). And the 3 weren't rude to me personally, they were rude to other riders.
Have you considered the following possibilities: he's being targetted by their staff, he's hypersensitive, he's extremely unlucky, or he's asking for it in some way.

This is a classic case of "if I don't experience it" it simply doesn't exist. Which is not fair. Hey if he's 4 for 4 then that's his experience. you're 3 for abotu 800. I'm probably 20 or more for 800. We all have different experiences but it seems as though the ones who have had more negative experiences are being attacked.

I've seen a lack of professionalism from a lot of TTC staff. I also understand that they take a whole bunch of shit too....but that doesn't discount the fact that some workers are just complete dicks.

This is a classic case of "if I don't experience it" it simply doesn't exist. Which is not fair. Hey if he's 4 for 4 then that's his experience. you're 3 for abotu 800. I'm probably 20 or more for 800. We all have different experiences but it seems as though the ones who have had more negative experiences are being attacked.

I've seen a lack of professionalism from a lot of TTC staff. I also understand that they take a whole bunch of shit too....but that doesn't discount the fact that some workers are just complete dicks.
Sure ... stuff happens. I'm probably about 10 per 800 this year ... about half-way between the two of you ... though most of the stuff I've seen have been interactions between staff and other passengers.

Some workers are complete dicks ... and some passengers are complete dicks. Though with far more passengers than workers on the average vehicle ...

I think though, if someone is getting an issue every time they ride ... then there is far more to the story than simple rude TTC staff ... and simply saying that some people will say TTC staff can do no wrong is ignorant.

It really is the rider's' responsiblity to make sure they know the route before boarding - responding to route inquires is a courtesy, nothing more.

You're not getting it.

doug:

Actually I do, as someone who has to sit on the bus and wait for some driver to explain in detail to clueless riders - often for multiple times - how to get from A to B while the bus is being held up. It has nothing to do with politeness and all to do with the impact it has on the performance of the driver - i.e. his ability to maintain a schedule. That is an aspect of customer service too, you know - and I would place that damn higher than the driver's ability to give out directions.

Now, if you are talking about inquires about a redirected bus or routing issues that can only be provided by the bus driver, then it's a different story.

AoD

Last edited:
Actually I do, as someone who has to sit on the bus and wait for some driver to explain in detail to a clueless rider how to get from A to B while the bus is being held up.

Alvin,

Did I quote you? When the sign says Dundas west, and the car is travelling east...what should I assume? I'm just a clueless rider paying a fare, not a mind reader....where would you suggest the car is going in that example?
Why should I be sh*t on for asknig a simple, legitimate question?

doug:

I've put a condition to my statement. And to further that, no one should be sh*t on even if the question asked doesn't deserve an answer.

AoD

I like this thread.

And I agree 150% with JayBee on the 1st page.

I'm not a fan of the TTC... I ride it at least 6 days a week and I dread the experience each and every time.
The fare increase almost every couple years
The delays on an almost daily basis
The trains that don't have AC
The trains that go out service in the middle of your trip (randomly)
The dirty buses/trains/stations/street cars
The antiquated tokens and tickets
The fact that I have to buy a monthly pass at the end of every month (how about a 30 day pass when ever I need one)
The fact that you can use Debit/Credit Cards ONLY at Yonge/Bloor or Dundas stations (I mean come on really.... its 2010!!) AND you can only use Debit/Credit Cards at mentioned stations to purchase a monthly pass... NOTHING ELSE!!!
The token machines that don't except $5 bills

Unfortunately it's the only system Toronto has and this is not to say there isn't anything good about the TTC... because I'd hate to be stuck in traffic on the 401 on a daily basis. And despite some reports there are some pleasant TTC drivers/collectors.
The system needs a lot of fixes/changes and I doubt it will happen any time soon.

Back