News   Jul 05, 2024
 776     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1K     12 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 495     0 

Why has there been no serious deamalgamation campaign?

I wished you had gone on with that answer and explained further. Genuinely interested to hear what the differences between Peel and Metro were. Growing up in Peel, it was always explained to me that Metro and Peel were equivalent levels of government with very similar responsibilities. How different we're he roles of the tiers?

I don't know about Peel, but I recall Metro had some of the big-ticket items:
- Police
- TTC
- Garbage disposal (not collection)
- Highways
- Some parks - Toronto islands
- etc

A City under Metro had the rest:
- Bylaws, zoning
- garbage collection
- roads, snow removal
- parks and rec
- libraries
- health unit
- etc etc

I recall the rough breakdown was about 40% taxes went to the City, 60% to Metro. That corresponds to the big-ticket, cross-region services being run by Metro. Not sure how this measures up in terms of autonomy.

(Well, that breakdown doesn't include education. The school boards actually collected more money than Metro+City on the tax bill in my experience.)

I wished you had gone on with that answer and explained further. Genuinely interested to hear what the differences between Peel and Metro were. Growing up in Peel, it was always explained to me that Metro and Peel were equivalent levels of government with very similar responsibilities. How different we're he roles of the tiers?

The regional municipalities (upper tiers) of the 905 fall between the role of a "Metro" and a "County" upper tier, but much closer to a County. It has to do with how much of a role the upper tier plays, and this is based on the services required by the area in question as a whole, vs the local services of its constituent lower tiers. It also has to do with the required effect and future of the upper tier area in question.

A "municipality" is the smallest political delineation (if you don't count "wards" within a city). So, having a municipality within a municipality doesn't make much sense. In the case of Metro, its smaller bits (the boroughs) were quasi, sub-municipalites, where some of its functions resembled an independent municipality, and a lot of it didn't (liquid through the entire Metro experiment). Metro treated the whole area as one city, which was divided in Wards, as you would see in most "normal" single tier municipality.

Metro was created as a compromise between old Toronto, who didn't want outright annexation (and who had stopped doing so in 1918), and the outlying areas that did in the beginning of the post-war era. "Old" Toronto was only about 28 sq miles at the time, and far too small to act as a independent city to the urbanization attached to it, that required the same "city" services and behaved as if it were one city in every way other than legal status.

The area chosen to create Metro (the same boundaries as we have now) was intended to become one independent "city proper" of a manageable size. Any of the still semi-rural areas in the outlying parts were known to soon change, no longer requiring rural services (normally, you would never try to mix rural and urban needs or services under the same level of government) . The point was to implement gradual or organic annexation rather than the usual instant annexation which was the norm, with the eventual intent of one unified urban "city".

And for the most part, this is exactly what happened, and for the most part, quite successfully. By the time 1998 had rolled around, the vast majority (about 3/4) of the city services were functioning through the upper tier, meaning Metro was behaving as a single city as planned. The remaining lower tier gave us a level of locally-geared services we still enjoyed and wanted to keep. Keeping a two-tiered municipal government when it is dominated by the upper tier is an expensive way to do it, but it was a luxury we were willing to pay for. Harris felt differently, and here we are.

Actually, things started to fall apart 10 years before that, as in 1988, the province made a change that required the upper tier to be separately elected, creating the divisiveness. In the beginning, those who sat on the upper tier, also sat on their respective lower tiers as well, forcing both tiers to equally consider local and Metro-wide needs.

In the case Of Peel, the province saw the 905 areas had also become something beyond the town/village/rural County set up and needed to address these unique needs by creating yet another type of regional municipality. But in this case, it is one dominated by the lower tier, rather than the upper tier. The intent was never to create a "city" out of any of these 905 regional municipalities, but to address the needs of a suburban-rural area, with increasing urban behaviour in small parts of it.

Peel is a bit strange. It does contain Miss & Brampton, which are indeed "cities" in their own right, albeit purely of the post-war suburban design. Even with what we are seeing at MCC, too much of these two cities are of poor urban design to ever function as Toronto does (with its much lower percentage of poorly planned urban design that can actually be "fixed").

The odd man out in Peel is of course Caledon. Caledon is purely rural/village, and will always remain so. Sure, it will get some subdivisions built, but it will never be Mississauga. Because of the vast difference between Caledon and it's Peel partners of Miss & Brampton, it will never require the level of services supplied by the upper tier, past or present. This is why Caledon should be removed from Peel. Harris turned the whole area into the "City of Caledon". That's fine, but that entire area as an upper tier would basically function as a "County" would, because that's what it's land use resembles.

Harris made changes that had nothing to do with making this process better for the areas involved...he just looked at cost-cutting, and transferring things off the provincial books in the hopes of making himself look good. He failed on both counts...the "Common Sense Revolution" left both the province as a whole, and its municipalities worse for wear.

In the case Of Peel, the province saw the 905 areas had also become something beyond the town/village/rural County set up and needed to address these unique needs by creating yet another type of regional municipality. But in this case, it is one dominated by the lower tier, rather than the upper tier. The intent was never to create a "city" out of any of these 905 regional municipalities, but to address the needs of a suburban-rural area, with increasing urban behaviour in small parts of it.

I don't know how Peel splits the responsibilities with the cities, but note that the Mississauga tax rate shows the City portion at about 38% of the City+Region total, similar to what I experienced in Metro Toronto pre-amalgamation (40%).

http://www.peelregion.ca/finance/tax-handbook/section1.htm#2
http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/residents/taxrates

Hmm ... so it is. Must have missed that ... and Kingston too ... when I lived there Kingston was in Frontenac County ... I guess City of Kitchener in Region of Waterloo would be a better example these days.

Yeah there are a bunch of different strange arrangements out there like the "City" of Kawartha Lakes and County of Brant/Brantford

There are other options besides reversing amalgamation and the status quo. For example, the City could devolve more powers to the Community Councils so that local councillors have more control over their neck of the woods.

I don't know how Peel splits the responsibilities with the cities, but note that the Mississauga tax rate shows the City portion at about 38% of the City+Region total, similar to what I experienced in Metro Toronto pre-amalgamation (40%).

http://www.peelregion.ca/finance/tax-handbook/section1.htm#2
http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/residents/taxrates

Essentially....Peel looks after policing (although Caledon's policing is contracted out to OPP)....waste collection/disposal, social services (housing, etc) and a network of regional roads.

The Cities look after transit (although I suspect that will change....maybe when the Hurontario LRT comes along, who knows), their own roads, parks, recreation, fire and other things that are traditionally municipal affairs)

I may have missed some things but it does not sound all that different (to me) than what Metro was. The notion that some things are thought to better handled at a "regional" level as opposed to each municipality doing their own thing seems pretty consistant. How and why they were formed may be different but the concept seem pretty much the same.

I may have missed some things but it does not sound all that different (to me) than what Metro was.

How and why they were formed may be different but the concept seem pretty much the same.

The concept of an "upper tier" may be similar, but are quite different in function. There are different types of upper tiers...Counties, Regions and Districts (Muskoka)...and Metro, which was the first and only type of its kind, and of course, no longer exists.

So, in a sense you are correct, but to say Metro and a County are the same thing because they are both "upper tiers" would be very misleading. That's why I say Peel is a region that falls closer to a County than a "Metro".

After Metro was created to deal with the unique situation of Toronto, the Ontario government created "Regions" to handle a different type of urban growth around much smaller urban centres like Hamilton and Ottawa. The Regions of Hamilton-Wentworth and Ottawa Carleton were then switched to single tiers. Then there were fast growing new suburbs that were also turned into Regions. But Peel is never likely to be turned into a single tier "city".

The concept of an "upper tier" may be similar, but are quite different in function. There are different types of upper tiers...Counties, Regions and Districts (Muskoka)...and Metro, which was the first and only type of its kind, and of course, no longer exists.

So, in a sense you are correct, but to say Metro and a County are the same thing because they are both "upper tiers" would be very misleading. That's why I say Peel is a region that falls closer to a County than a "Metro".

After Metro was created to deal with the unique situation of Toronto, the Ontario government created "Regions" to handle a different type of urban growth around much smaller urban centres like Hamilton and Ottawa. The Regions of Hamilton-Wentworth and Ottawa Carleton were then switched to single tiers. Then there were fast growing new suburbs that were also turned into Regions. But Peel is never likely to be turned into a single tier "city".

Sorry if I gave the impression I was talking about counties. I know even less about them than I do about Metro ;). I was just trying to understand the differences between the Regional Municipality of Peel and the Municipality of Metropolitan Toronto.

The differences don't seem that significant (although the reasons they cam about might be different).

Does anyone remember the Golden Report (1996)? It dealt with all these issues and was subsequently ignored by Mike Harris when he got rid of all the local Toronto municipalities.

Historically every part of the Province of Ontario was either within a City, County or District. Counties were further subdivided into Towns and Townships. Cities were generally not part of County, for example Brantford was never under the administration of the County of Brant, even though it is completely surrounded by the County. All of the land that now makes up the City of Toronto was once part of the County of York. The southern tier of the county was slowly eroded away by the City of Toronto and other cities which took land from the county.

Metro Toronto was the first attempt to redefine the traditional county/township/city format by bringing a regional-level of government to a group of Cities. It allowed things such as police, fire, transit and highways to be coordinated at an appropriate regional level for the 1950’s, while still letting each city to get on with its local business. This was the prototype for all the Regional Municipalities (RM) that are now common throughout Ontario.

In 1995 Bob Rae’s Government produced the Golden Report, which recommended expanding the Regional Government of the GTA (e.g. one regional government for all of Toronto, York, Peel and Durham) and leave all the local cities as they are (e.g. Scarborough, Mississauga, Pickering, East York etc.). This would allow regional planning and services to be coordinated across the GTA at a level that was appropriate for the 1990’s and would still allow local municipalities to stay in touch at the grass roots level. The plan was not implemented before Bob Rae got turfed out of office in 1996 and Mike Harris, in a fit of partisan politics, chose to do the exact opposite of what Anne Golden had recommended. He kept all the various regional governments and got rid of the local governments in Toronto. As a result we neither have a workable regional system (which has resulted in the Province having to take on a regional planning role – Places to Grow, The Big Move), nor a responsive local government system in Toronto.

Metro Toronto was the first attempt to redefine the traditional county/township/city format by bringing a regional-level of government to a group of Cities.

No it wasn't. First of all, there was no "group of cities". And the goal was not to create a "group of cities". It was to create one city.

I was just trying to understand the differences between the Regional Municipality of Peel and the Municipality of Metropolitan Toronto.

The differences don't seem that significant (although the reasons they cam about might be different).

They are all upper tiers. The difference lies in the roles of upper and lower tiers, and the purpose of having them...the goal so to speak.

There's a very large and fundamental difference between Toronto and Peel. A county is another upper tier. The role of the upper tier Regional Municipality of Peel is more akin to the role of an upper tier County structure, than the role of the upper tier Metro structure.

There's little chance that Miss, Brampton and Caledon are ever to become one cohesive single tier "city proper". Although I'm surprised Harris didn't try it, during his reckless romp through Ontario. Even turning Hamilton-Wentworth into a single tier city was a stretch. Toronto was fine, as it was effectively operating as one already.

Insight about Ontario's Cities and Counties...and Metro Toronto...

Historically every part of the Province of Ontario was either within a City, County or District. Counties were further subdivided into Towns and Townships. Cities were generally not part of County, for example Brantford was never under the administration of the County of Brant, even though it is completely surrounded by the County. All of the land that now makes up the City of Toronto was once part of the County of York. The southern tier of the county was slowly eroded away by the City of Toronto and other cities which took land from the county.

Metro Toronto was the first attempt to redefine the traditional county/township/city format by bringing a regional-level of government to a group of Cities. It allowed things such as police, fire, transit and highways to be coordinated at an appropriate regional level for the 1950’s, while still letting each city to get on with its local business. This was the prototype for all the Regional Municipalities (RM) that are now common throughout Ontario.

In 1995 Bob Rae’s Government produced the Golden Report, which recommended expanding the Regional Government of the GTA (e.g. one regional government for all of Toronto, York, Peel and Durham) and leave all the local cities as they are (e.g. Scarborough, Mississauga, Pickering, East York etc.). This would allow regional planning and services to be coordinated across the GTA at a level that was appropriate for the 1990’s and would still allow local municipalities to stay in touch at the grass roots level. The plan was not implemented before Bob Rae got turfed out of office in 1996 and Mike Harris, in a fit of partisan politics, chose to do the exact opposite of what Anne Golden had recommended. He kept all the various regional governments and got rid of the local governments in Toronto. As a result we neither have a workable regional system (which has resulted in the Province having to take on a regional planning role – Places to Grow, The Big Move), nor a responsive local government system in Toronto.

Howl: Interesting insight about Ontario's Cities and Counties...
I find it interesting that Brantford-even though as mentioned is surrounded by Brant
County-is an independent City...This reminds me of the Commonwealth of Virginia
(that State's official name) in which there are independent cities that are not part
of counties even though in some instances it is totally surrounded by a County...

Some of the best examples are in the Washington,DC area:
Fairfax City-even though it is surrounded by Fairfax County-is a Independent City...
The Cities of Alexandria and Falls Church are Independent Cities...
Arlington County and the City of Arlington are co-existent...

Comparisons from Long Island Mike

Bringing back the six-borough Municipality of Metropolitan Toronto...

Everyone: I noticed much discontent with the current unified City of Toronto in
this topic and I will ask:

What would it take to bring back the six-borough Metro government?

Would it be thru a voter referendum which could be the fairest way
for Toronto to de-amalgimate?

Would it have support from a clear majority of
Toronto's residents?

Would there be a lot of red tape from the Province of Ontario and/or Canada's
Federal Government?

Do many feel that Toronto's government was better during the six-borough days?

This is a prime example of why I am a member of the Urban Toronto forum-reading and further learning about Toronto's government...the history alone was interesting...

Long Island Mike

What would it take to bring back the six-borough Metro government?

Would it be thru a voter referendum which could be the fairest way
for Toronto to de-amalgimate?

Would it have support from a clear majority of
Toronto's residents?

A referendum was held (non-binding). Opposition of amalgamation from the lower tiers ranged from 70 to 81 percent of voters (voter turnout for the referendum was 36%).

Opposition to the proposed amalgamation came from many other sources as well... local municipalities outside of Toronto (fearing increased polarization within the region)...the provincial opposition parties, citizen organizations, and from within the governing party itself.

Would there be a lot of red tape from the Province of Ontario and/or Canada's Federal Government?

Red tape = legislation.
We are a highly decentralized country...the federal government has no jurisdiction in such matters. The provinces have all the power. Municipalities are just a creation of the province, and whatever powers municipalities have are given and taken away by the province on their whim. All they have to fear....is the voters in the next election.

Back