News   Jul 05, 2024
 2.9K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.9K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 683     0 

Why does Toronto always dominate the best cities list???

But someone who probably can't appreciate delicate ethnic foods (think Arepa Cafe), the availability of parks and beaches, the craft beer movement, or the outrageous number of incredible lectures that are given in Toronto every year, just cannot pass on judgement on how it compares to other cities.

The shell that contains Toronto is mostly unimpressive, but it's full of world-class experiences to be had.

The criticism that kkgg gives reminds me of this girl who went to france and refused to have cheese 'cause she didn't like cheese.

A city's quality becomes clear when you truly immerse yourself in its culture. Toronto can keep you busy for a while and constantly surprise you if you do that. Many places can't.

See the thing is other than the beer movement (Toronto has it corned there.) These other cities have all those things. kkgg is harsh, but i feel it is out of love and not scorn. There are things we could do much better. Personally, I think Toronto sits back way too much, we need to be a go getter. I think business taxes are too high, but that's just me.

To begin with, that article was written by Steve Simmons. This guy is clueless when it comes to sports in general.
The only thing i agree with him is regarding the CFL and i can't explain why it's like that. I'm not an "american football" fan to begin with.

He ignores the success of Lacrosse and the fact that the other large Canadian cities have abandoned that sport.
Also, Baseball is seeing a resurgence in Ontario and BC as are the Blue Jays.
TFC fans have quickly made themselves know as one of the best football fans (if not the best) in NA.

Using examples such as the Brier and comparing it to the success of Regina, Winnipeg and Edmonton..........seriously?
I find it hard to believe that the Brier would be successful in Montreal (a cities that couldn't care less about the existence of curling) or Vancouver (a city where half the population probably doesn't know what curling is).

Large cities like Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver have many forms of entertainment so something like a Brier or a Grey Cup will not be as huge as it would be in Saskatchewan, Regina, Winnipeg or Halifax.

Last edited:
To begin with, that article was written by Steve Simmons. This guy is clueless when it comes to sports in general.
The only thing i agree with him is regarding the CFL and i can't explain why it's like that. I'm not an "american football" fan to begin with.

He ignores the success of Lacrosse and the fact that the other large Canadian cities have abandoned that sport.
Also, Baseball is seeing a resurgence in Ontario and BC as are the Blue Jays.
TFC fans have quickly made themselves know as one of the best football fans (if not the best) in NA.

Using examples such as the Brier and comparing it to the success of Regina, Winnipeg and Edmonton..........seriously?
I find it hard to believe that the Brier would be successful in Montreal (a cities that couldn't care less about the existence of curling) or Vancouver (a city where half the population probably doesn't know what curling is).

Large cities like Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver have many forms of entertainment so something like a Brier or a Grey Cup will not be as huge as it would be in Saskatchewan, Regina, Winnipeg or Halifax.

And let's not forget the last Grey Cup in Toronto in 2007 was sold out.

Thanos you do not need to defend CFL over. That is not a Toronto thing at all. Montreal lost their team twice for example. Moncton was not even sold out last year.

Lack of support for the CFL is a Eastern Canada thing not a Toronto thing. And like freshcut said, who cares. This is a city of 6.5 million people. We have other things to do.

Is it a liability if more Torontonians like cricket now than 40 years ago?

Yea...sports leagues that would be considered obscure elsewhere, are big ticket in Toronto...cricket, lacrosse, dragon boat racing, etc.

Thanos you do not need to defend CFL over. That is not a Toronto thing at all. Montreal lost their team twice for example. Moncton was not even sold out last year.

Lack of support for the CFL is a Eastern Canada thing not a Toronto thing. And like freshcut said, who cares. This is a city of 6.5 million people. We have other things to do.
Actually Montreal lost their team once. Ottawa lost their team twice.

And in the history of the NFL, somewhere close to 50 franchises became defunct. Guess they had other things to do.

I'm not defending the CFL. I really do not understand nor care for the sport. I did say that the only thing i agree with him is regarding the lack of support for the CFL in Toronto. I wasn't aware it was an eastern Canada thing.

As a film buff, I would not live anywhere else. We have such a wide variety of opportunities to see/experience film culture here that I don't think enough people appreciate. Venues like the Bloor (now reopened as a documentary-only theatre, one of the only ones of its kind in the world), the Toronto Underground Cinema for cult stuff, and Bell Lightbox for independent and more curated material we are extremely spoiled in this regard. The Film Festival, most people don't know, is one of the only festivals of its type on the planet that's open to the public. Think you can just walk into a screening at Cannes or Sundance? They're usually restricted to industry types only, so being able to see world premiere films months before the rest of the world, often with the cast and director present, is extremely unique. Even NYC doesn't have anything like this - I mean, there's Tribeca, but it's much much smaller and there's far fewer premieres there.

I mean, this is only one aspect but there are so many reasons to love this city. The people that complain about it, in my experience, are the ones that don't take advantage of or don't know about the incredible breadth of cultural happenings that occur in Toronto on a fairly regular basis.

As a film buff, I would not live anywhere else. We have such a wide variety of opportunities to see/experience film culture here that I don't think enough people appreciate. Venues like the Bloor (now reopened as a documentary-only theatre, one of the only ones of its kind in the world), the Toronto Underground Cinema for cult stuff, and Bell Lightbox for independent and more curated material we are extremely spoiled in this regard. The Film Festival, most people don't know, is one of the only festivals of its type on the planet that's open to the public. Think you can just walk into a screening at Cannes or Sundance? They're usually restricted to industry types only, so being able to see world premiere films months before the rest of the world, often with the cast and director present, is extremely unique. Even NYC doesn't have anything like this - I mean, there's Tribeca, but it's much much smaller and there's far fewer premieres there.

I mean, this is only one aspect but there are so many reasons to love this city. The people that complain about it, in my experience, are the ones that don't take advantage of or don't know about the incredible breadth of cultural happenings that occur in Toronto on a fairly regular basis.

NYC is great for making films. And old theaters. After that...nothing.

NYC is great for making films.

And barely even that anymore! Guess what city is typically used for a cheaper stand-in for New York in films these days? You guessed it, Toronto!

The film industry is exactly the type of business Toronto is and should be attracting. It's sustainable and a great boon to both tourism and revenue.

Back