News   Jul 30, 2024
 807     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.5K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 638     0 

Why does Toronto always dominate the best cities list???

Yeah, I get that snarky definition. Shame that it's such a narrow one. "Culture" is essentially a neutral word. It can take on positive or negative connotations, depending on your spin inclinations. I guess for some the word remains code for disgusting elitism. I prefer to see it in a much more substantial and integrated light.

http://www.realtor.ca/map.aspx?&vs=...false;chkWrk:false;chkFire:false;chkAll:false

Lots of choice of semi-detached homes in Leslieville/Little India for under $600k.

>> BTW, this makes the 100 millionth thing you've been wrong about on this board. Congrats! ;-)

if you read the context, I was talking about the impossibility of doing so from where I came from. My argument was Toronto is affordable because you CAN buy a single family house for 500-600K, which is partly the reason I myself among many others, decide to come and stay.

I have no intension to pick on anyone just because I don't agree with his views, unlike what you seem to be doing. Hope you enjoyed finding whatever you think I said wrong in the past, which probably made your life a lot happier.

To own a single family house with a private yard for as little as $500-600K anywhere near an large urban area can only happen in dreams.

kkgg7 -- Your bias against Toronto betrays you, my friend. You obviously consider Toronto a non-'large urban area', when, in fact, it's a big city. Seriously, it is.

My point -- and I did have one -- is that you're correct about housing in Toronto being reasonable versus the central districts of other large cities. And, therefore, you already live where you can have the dream of a single family house with a private yard close to downtown. I just find it amusing that it kills you to admit something about Toronto is fabulous. Which is why I keep picking on you: It amuses me that you live here (supposedly) and yet find it so unbelievably boring and such a painful experience.

Last edited:
It amuses me that you live here (supposedly) and yet find it so unbelievably boring and such a painful experience.

It's quite common for immigrants to project their guilt for leaving on their adopted home.

To each his own I suppose. I find Asian cities utterly dull. If shopping and eating are your raison d'etre, then they're passable. Again, it might just be it's a culture I don't wish to immerse myself in but truthfully a small nonentity, globally speaking, city like New Orleans offers me more culturally than any Asian city I've ever been in.

After all this talk, I have one thing to say to u all....I have lived in different places and came to this conclusion.......

There is NO perfect place.

Those who complain about this, will go there and will complain about there!!!

It's quite common for immigrants to project their guilt for leaving on their adopted home.

To some extent we are all immigrants. it is just a matter of which generation.
Immigrants usually have a more open eye about their new home, as they have something very different to compare to (unlike those who have never lived anywhere else for more than a year, and they usually express strong bias as if nowhere else is better).

To imagine Toronto is better than any place immigrants came from on all aspects is completely wrong. I do often talk about Toronto being not good enough in this and that, but that doesn't mean I deny its strength in other areas. As I emphasize a lot, Toronto's strongest aspects are good life-work balance, moderate size and less busy life, as well as walkability. Housing is affordable too if you look outside North America.

After all this talk, I have one thing to say to u all....I have lived in different places and came to this conclusion.......

There is NO perfect place.

Those who complain about this, will go there and will complain about there!!!

I agree.
Yet every city needs complainers. If all we hear is praise, then there is no improvement.

To each his own I suppose. I find Asian cities utterly dull. If shopping and eating are your raison d'etre, then they're passable. Again, it might just be it's a culture I don't wish to immerse myself in but truthfully a small nonentity, globally speaking, city like New Orleans offers me more culturally than any Asian city I've ever been in.

That's because you were never part of it. Shopping and eating are not the only entertainment. There are plenty of social and cultural events as well.

People on different continents have very different life style and preference. You can't say one is dull the other is rich. Let me give you an example, karaokay is tremendously popular in Asia, which many westerners find bizzar, but people do enjoy singing in groups and they have a lot of fun; on the other hand, I myself find the usual backyard BBQ social gathering extremely boring, and hiking, which many seems consider a very interesting hobby, almost excruciatingly boring. Drinking a beer on the deck in the summer? That almost sounds stupid to me. It is really a matter of perspective.

What is dull, whatever you don't enjoy is dull, and people do enjoy very different things.

Good point - different cultures dig different things, have distinct conventions regarding socializing and relaxing. OK!

But why is drinking a beer on the back deck in the summer "almost" stupid? Why not say it's flat-out stupid? Precisely what saves it from being flat-out stupid? I'd love to know - really!

Perhaps you personally don't drink - otherwise, why do you think the act of relaxing on one's own back deck during the most temperate months of the year could be considered even remotely stupid?

Um, I enjoy karaoke a lot and do it with groups of friends at least once a month.

Anyway, you can live almost anywhere but I do think visiting places is another thing all together. I was recently in Buenos Aires and frankly after about 3 days was bored and ready to move on. I've decided I have a 3 day max with most places and after that my ADD kicks in. For me what's important with places I visit or live is whether or not I have relationships with people and that makes all the difference in the world.

Toronto is certainly not the most exciting city in the world but living here and having a life that's integrated into the city makes a huge difference in how I perceive it.

I find a lot of newcomers automatically get drawn into insular communities of poor approximation to their homelands and basically shut themselves off from the city and the larger community (I've seen it with some American friends so I'm not singling out visible minorities). And if you're not integrated into the city, you really have zero stake in it. Contributions to the larger community don't end at offering ethnic food, drycleaners, taxi cab rides and criticism of the native populace.

Back