News   Jul 05, 2024
 2.9K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.9K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 683     0 

Why does Toronto always dominate the best cities list???

To imagine Toronto is better than any place immigrants came from on all aspects is completely wrong. I do often talk about Toronto being not good enough in this and that, but that doesn't mean I deny its strength in other areas. As I emphasize a lot, Toronto's strongest aspects are good life-work balance, moderate size and less busy life, as well as walkability. Housing is affordable too if you look outside North America.

What you seem to not realise is that your vision of Toronto's strengths is clouded by the fact you are thoroughly ignorant of local culture.

If you come from a deeply materialistic background then Toronto's strengths are indeed those you mention. If you value freedom, a quest for the truth, psychosocial well-being, and sensorial experiences, there's much more to Toronto than that.

There's more people 'doing what they love' in this city than in most cities I have visited. That's the main reason why I really like it here.

And I feel, also, that kkgg7's using his ethnic/immigrant status as a smokescreen--because in fact, ethnicity isn't the primary "divide" here. It's cultural--"cultural" in the Ford vs SmitherPants way. His "ignorance of local culture" is, perhaps unbeknownst to him, an ignorance of (or hostility/indifference toward) capital-C Culture--period. And as the Ford mandate (among other things) proves, it's shared by a lot of non-immigrants as well.

And he'd probably be just as ignorant/hostile/indifferent to it in his homeland, much as the more culturally-minded tourists/visitors from his homeland would be sensitive to it here.

Oh how I love reading the odd Sun piece. The article itself was uninteresting, but the readers comments are always entertaining. I love the two who think Toronto's immigrants don't vote the "right way". ha ha ha

Agreed. The one and only reason I visit the Sun daily is to read the comments. The ignorance of the Ford loving Toronto Sun readers never fails to amuse me.

It's not so much amusing as sad and scary and often infuriating. But I guess it all comes down to the weird and wonderful mosaic that is our town!

It's not so much amusing as sad and scary and often infuriating. But I guess it all comes down to the weird and wonderful mosaic that is our town!

Some of the Sun's comments are very scary to say the least. Some of the people in the comments want immigrants deported if they don't accept our culture by playing hockey. Are these people mad!

A typical Toronto Sun comment:

One of the G20 goons slipped on some ice and got run over by a snowplow. That joyrider is facing 1st degree. If this co-parent, or teacher for the nostalgic, was a cop we'd have martial law until these egg tossers were facing attempt.
If you let me teach your kids to be gay this stuff would not happen. They would be enjoying a funky sleep over at this sexy co-parent's home instead of running wild in the streets.
Hug a wind mill folks, I feel your pain ; P

I still can't figure out what this guy is rambling on about. Any guesses?

The saddest part is that this comment is more intelligent then most of the stuff on the Sun.

Oh how I love reading the odd Sun piece. The article itself was uninteresting, but the readers comments are always entertaining. I love the two who think Toronto's immigrants don't vote the "right way". ha ha ha

Yet as per my point, the immigrants *did* vote for Ford. It's the "Christian Lander Whiteys" who voted otherwise.

Re:kkgg7 and adma

Does kkgg hammer it away a lot yes. But that's not trolling. Maybe he wants to see Toronto do better. I find agreeing with him a lot of the time. Adma too. Although he needs to cut down on the cheap shots, ridiculous, he makes good points. Not everything is roses and sun right now. And yes a working transit system should could for something. As for crime. We live in the one of safest countries around. The US has a gun cultutre. So I don't see the point. If all you is Toronto is safe, I'll move to Geneva or Copenhagen right now. Because they are safer than anything in NA. Toronto has the best diversity, People(in some cases) food. Nightlife needs a BIG improvement. Toronto needs as much criticism as praise. Which I why I think TheTigerMaster is one of the best posters here. Because he knows that.

I'll respond to the kkgg7/adma war later.

For Now, I leave you with.
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/03/13/torontos-out-of-sync-with-canada

Is Toronto out of sync?

I agree with the article. As for the comments, I personally seek out intelligent conversation...

As mentioned CFL football is huge all across the country, including here (Winnipeg). When the Cup comes here the hospitality suites are abuzz with party goers, especially the Halifax Schooners suite. It is nuts! The entire city gets into it in a big way.

I don't understand why Toronto ignores the CFL the way it does. The game itself is superior to the NFL game although the talent is surely at a lower level. You have a great stadium for both warm weather and cold and a huge market. Why don't people get fired up about it?

I've got tickets for the game and I'll be there in my Bomber jersey Thursday-Monday. We're going to try and take in all activities offered and have a whale of a time.

Last edited:
I find the article more of an invention of a story, rather than a real story.

Saying Toronto is out of touch with the rest of the country because we have a lower per capita love for football, is like saying New York is out of touch with the USA, because they aren't into NASCAR. And disqualifying Montreal to make the story more legit is just too convenient.

Not only is Toronto just not as into pro sports on a per capita basis (not unusual for large global cities), we just have more choice, and spread it out. You can't claim we aren't into "Canadian" sports, or how would you explain hockey and lacrosse?

Maybe we're just not that into football....get over it Sun readers.

Re:kkgg7 and adma

Does kkgg hammer it away a lot yes. But that's not trolling. Maybe he wants to see Toronto do better. I find agreeing with him a lot of the time. Adma too. Although he needs to cut down on the cheap shots, ridiculous, he makes good points. Not everything is roses and sun right now. And yes a working transit system should could for something. As for crime. We live in the one of safest countries around. The US has a gun cultutre. So I don't see the point. If all you is Toronto is safe, I'll move to Geneva or Copenhagen right now. Because they are safer than anything in NA. Toronto has the best diversity, People(in some cases) food. Nightlife needs a BIG improvement. Toronto needs as much criticism as praise. Which I why I think TheTigerMaster is one of the best posters here. Because he knows that.

But someone who probably can't appreciate delicate ethnic foods (think Arepa Cafe), the availability of parks and beaches, the craft beer movement, or the outrageous number of incredible lectures that are given in Toronto every year, just cannot pass on judgement on how it compares to other cities.

The shell that contains Toronto is mostly unimpressive, but it's full of world-class experiences to be had.

The criticism that kkgg gives reminds me of this girl who went to france and refused to have cheese 'cause she didn't like cheese.

A city's quality becomes clear when you truly immerse yourself in its culture. Toronto can keep you busy for a while and constantly surprise you if you do that. Many places can't.

I find the article more of an invention of a story, rather than a real story.

Saying Toronto is out of touch with the rest of the country because we have a lower per capita love for football, is like saying New York is out of touch with the USA, because they aren't into NASCAR. And disqualifying Montreal to make the story more legit is just too convenient.

Not only is Toronto just not as into pro sports on a per capita basis (not unusual for large global cities), we just have more choice, and spread it out. You can't claim we aren't into "Canadian" sports, or how would you explain hockey and lacrosse?

Maybe we're just not that into football....get over it Sun readers.
The GTA does GREAT for hockey, creating 30% of NHL draft prospects. Hockey is Canada's number one sport. the CFL is not. And its not like its only Toronto. CFL is not popular in Atlantic Canada either.

Back