News   Jul 05, 2024
 2.9K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.9K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 683     0 

Why does Toronto always dominate the best cities list???

Look at it this way: if you're not terribly inclined t/w McDonald's at home (which'd describe me these days, save free/discounted coffee specials), there's negligible reason to "try it out" in Paris.

But Paris, for example, has absolutely horrible non-french food in general. Terrible.

Or more specifically, absolutely horrible North American-style food. But as elsewhere in Europe, that familiar-to-Toronto ritual of "ethnic eating" can be a sleeper, particularly if you're of a radical-Lepeniste state of mind and want to categorize merguez sausage vendors as "non-French"...

Aside from that, being of a perpetual-student frame of mind, if I want to eat anything non-French-esque in Paris, it'll be through buying goods at a discount grocery, not through restaurant fare.

Look at it this way: if you're not terribly inclined t/w McDonald's at home (which'd describe me these days, save free/discounted coffee specials), there's negligible reason to "try it out" in Paris.

Or more specifically, absolutely horrible North American-style food. But as elsewhere in Europe, that familiar-to-Toronto ritual of "ethnic eating" can be a sleeper, particularly if you're of a radical-Lepeniste state of mind and want to categorize merguez sausage vendors as "non-French"...

Aside from that, being of a perpetual-student frame of mind, if I want to eat anything non-French-esque in Paris, it'll be through buying goods at a discount grocery, not through restaurant fare.

I think the NA-style issue is a bit of a non-starter as well. I spent a summer in Paris many years ago (early '90s) and in our group were a number of Americans who spent an inordinate amount of time complaining about French food and ferreting out American style restos. Some -- particularly a Harlem BBQ joint on the Left Bank, IIRC -- were great. But the bigger point is/was going to Paris and eating American is all kinds of silly, since the French don't do mass-market food (i.e. Olive Garden-style) well, they do individual neighbourhood bistros well.

Joanna Kates in her review in the G&M of Pizza Pide rhasodizes about cheap Turkish in Paris. I've also found Maghreb restos in France are fantastic -- tagines and couscous are as much part of French cuisine these days as a steak-frites. Another great choice is a Swiss-style raclette resto, although a bit gimmicky when you're not in the Alps, or an Alsatian choucroutes and flatbread joint.

Mmmm... making myself hungry!

Joanna Kates in her review in the G&M of Pizza Pide rhasodizes about cheap Turkish in Paris. I've also found Maghreb restos in France are fantastic -- tagines and couscous are as much part of French cuisine these days as a steak-frites.

Likewise with Turkish fare in Germany--and of course, we all know about Britain's "curry revolution"...

I wasn't referring to North American food at all (which I'm not particularly fond of).

Try hitting a japanese restaurant in Paris' mainstream blvds, you'll find they'll serve mostly comfort french food with sushi on the side. I saw many restaurants that sold sushi with chinese food, too. It's no different if you head to say, Chile, and try and get decent Chinese food. Next to impossible.

My point is that it's very unfair to go to Paris and judge the city as a whole based on their mainstream japanese restaurants. If you can't appreciate the other fantastic alternatives on offer that's your own fault.

Likewise, I feel certain foreign/suburban posters shouldn't judge Toronto based on the Dundas Square area (as they do), when what makes this city great is elsewhere.

MoneySense ranked Toronto #47 in the Best Places to Live in Canada. :confused:

Ottawa was #1, Calgary #14, Vancouver #56, Montreal #149. New Glasgow, NS, was last on their rankings at #190.

MoneySense ranked Toronto #47 in the Best Places to Live in Canada. :confused:

Ottawa was #1, Calgary #14, Vancouver #56, Montreal #149. New Glasgow, NS, was last on their rankings at #190.

This is interesting. Most studies that compare cities around the world tend to consistently rank Toronto at least in the top 20 cities. I believe that Toronto was ranked then 4th best city in the world last year. Something isn't right about the MoneySense study.

Moneysense considers only Toronto proper, not Toronto GTA.

This is interesting. Most studies that compare cities around the world tend to consistently rank Toronto at least in the top 20 cities. I believe that Toronto was ranked then 4th best city in the world last year. Something isn't right about the MoneySense study.

I guess this particular list considers affordability?
We all know all well-known lists (such as Mercer) don't care about money whatsoever. I would give this list more credit than those who put Vancouver anywhere near the top.

:) Exactly. Vancouver is too expensive for what it offers.

yes, Vancouver is grossly overrated. If I had a choice between Vancouver and Seattle, which is 3 hours away, I will choose the latter without a second of hesitation. The latter is tremendously cheaper and offers probably 5X more jobs. I have a friend with a phD degree working as a car salesperson in Vancouver. The thing is, if I am poor I won't go to Vancouver since there is no real jobs; if I am rich, God no. There are so many much nicer places on the planet for rich people.

Toronto is still affordable IMO and it probably will only get more expensive. It seems to be the only Canadian city that is livable all things considered (weather, urban feeling, jobs). Burlington etc are suburbs which won't even exist without Toronto. They don't count.

How could they compare these Canadian cities?? How could they compare Toronto with Saskatoon or st John nfld. Or Winnipeg for that matter??? It's a BS study... Lol

Back