News   Jul 23, 2024
 46     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 651     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.7K     0 

what do the toronto people do?

Sorry to go super off-topic, but am I the only one who has a vile distaste for this word in this context?
Wow ... I've never heard anyone say that before. Surely it's the perfect description of one's spouse? I could call her my wife, but that always seems to imply ownership to some people ... what with the old tradition of the man controlling the woman. Perhaps next time, I'll simply refer to her as my "spousal unit".

and based on the demographics on this board, one might expect that in many cases the 'partner' might be of the same sex. In that case what other words are appropriate?

"Partner" just seems so formal to me. I don't see anything wrong with terms like "husband" and "wife". They don't imply ownership to me. When I grow up I want to get married and have a husband. And I expect he would refer to me as the same.

I also dislike the term "spouse" unless it's some kind of legal document where you need to be gender nonspecific. Also dislike "significant other".

I guess I'm very traditional in this respect haha. If you're dating, boyfriend/girlfriend. If you're married, husband/wife. Next thing you know people will start writing "womyn". Oh wait...

"Partner" just seems so formal to me.

Not if you substitute "d" for "t"

VegasVic.gif

Speaking of partners - the breeding kind - the one key thing I don't believe has been touched on yet is: Is the original poster trying to raise a family? In which case, a car becomes a fact of life. (Is anyone doing without in that regard?)

Until then, bike away...

Back