News   Jul 23, 2024
 139     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 738     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.9K     0 

what do the toronto people do?

If you have financial considerations, you probably shouldn't move here. it's very expensive on all fronts. And the quality of life is really bad for people without a lot of money.

Someone who would say Toronto is "very expensive on all fronts" probably hasn't been to many truly expensive cities. Compared to Columbus, perhaps, but Toronto is probably one of the more affordable big cities in NA / the world.

Last edited:
Agreed, Toronto is quite low compared to many other cities. Even in Canada it does not stand out to any great extreme with respect to cost of living.

It's only expensive if you plan on earning minimum wage and shopping at Whole Paycheck/Foods for your groceries.

You'd do fine on 40-60 thousand a year. You might never own a home on that salary but renters are happier anyway.

It's only expensive if you plan on earning minimum wage and shopping at Whole Paycheck/Foods for your groceries.

You'd do fine on 40-60 thousand a year. You might never own a home on that salary but renters are happier anyway.

I can't imagine living in the city on $60 grand a year. It would be awful.

I can't imagine living in the city on $60 grand a year. It would be awful.

Please. Many people live in New York City on that and less and get along fine. 60 grand is hardly poverty level for the city of Toronto. Rents aren't that high and if you can do without shopping at Holt Renfrew for all your fashion needs you'd get along fine.

Granted it's not ideal but 60 grand (combined) is not ideal in most western cities.

And most importantly a lot people don't move to a city like Toronto so they can experience comfort level economics. They move because they want to make more money because they don't mind a struggle and want to experience something different. If you want easy, move to Montreal or Calgary or Halifax.

I used to live on 35 grand a year and did fine. Didn't wear rags, ate out and went out regularly.

You could live here quite happily on $60 grand, as long you're doctor kept you well supplied in anti-depressants.

Mystic Point I think you really need to get a grip. I make significantly less than $60k, I pay $400 per month for student loans and I do just fine.

I'm not sipping champagne and eating caviar every day and I don't spend much on furniture. But I spend a fair bit on clothing and entertainment without thinking too much about it, and I live in a decent location in downtown. This whole idea that you're locked out of Toronto unless you're earning six figures is ridiculous.

On a lot less than that one can put together a decent apartment, dress well, eat well, have good times with friends and go on an occasional vacation. There's really no need to spend more than $700 per month on rent ($1400 for a two bedroom split with a roommate) and if you're willing to compromise a bit you can get away with spending considerably less.

It seems that you can't imagine living without bourgeois excesses but that doesn't mean that the rest of us are miserable.

Last edited:
I think this year I'll be living on 20,000, half of it supplied by OSAP and 6,000 going to my school. I seem to be doing alright since I'm typing this while looking out the window of my harbourfront apartment with views of the skyline and waterfront. I can fortunately say that I'm not on any anti-depressants as well. I'm quite pleased with my quality of life and actually get kind of giddy thinking about my post-school life because I live quite well right now and can't imagine what it's like to live even on 40,000/year, nevermind 60,000+.

Mystic, you either don't live in this city or province, or you have a serious vendetta against it. Every one of your posts is negative to the extreme, whether its the supposed "decay" of the city and province, calling Toronto "the town that fun forgot" or calling planes from the airshow "weapons of mass destruction". It's really quite sad that someone could be that bitter about a city with regards to things that couldn't be farther from the truth.

I think this year I'll be living on 20,000, half of it supplied by OSAP and 6,000 going to my school. I seem to be doing alright since I'm typing this while looking out the window of my harbourfront apartment with views of the skyline and waterfront. I can fortunately say that I'm not on any anti-depressants as well. I'm quite pleased with my quality of life and actually get kind of giddy thinking about my post-school life because I live quite well right now and can't imagine what it's like to live even on 40,000/year, nevermind 60,000+.

Mystic, you either don't live in this city or province, or you have a serious vendetta against it. Every one of your posts is negative to the extreme, whether its the supposed "decay" of the city and province, calling Toronto "the town that fun forgot" or calling planes from the airshow "weapons of mass destruction". It's really quite sad that someone could be that bitter about a city with regards to things that couldn't be farther from the truth.

Are you sure you're not on anti-depressants?

You could live here quite happily on $60 grand, as long you're doctor kept you well supplied in anti-depressants.

What are you talking about?????!!!! :confused:

I've lived here as a student on ~$15,000 a year and I did absolutely fine! I make just slightly above your barely livable number now, and I put a sizable portion of my money into savings every month. If I wanted to buy a condo that would be a much tougher go if I qualified, but rent is far, far from expensive in comparison to most similarly sized North American cities (some economic underperformers do have lower rent, but then jobs don't pay as much).

Back