News   Apr 24, 2024
 38     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.8K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 577     0 

Westin Harbour Castle (?, ?, ?)

Hotel space is apparently in very short supply currently, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a lot of new stock come online in the next few years. There is a lot coming down the pipeline right now, too.

Mid range hotels are on the way out, but they are a dying breed globally from my understanding, at least in big cities. The problem is that the finances for mid range pricing in the downtown core just doesn't work anymore.. Its too bad we aren't seeing new mid range construction on subway lines that still gives easy access to the core.

Also, there isn't much left of the traditional families/middle-class-budget travelling demographic anymore. Same reason there's no longer a CAA Travel Centre downtown...

This gives a pretty good sense of scale (at least on an order of magnitude basis) and a fairly cogent approach to site planning (setting aside more specificity with respect to details like grade activation, urban design, mix of uses in each tower, and whether any part of any of the extant structures would be kept).

1583535302694.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The podium really is 70’s ghastly! I do agree with the previous comment please no green glass box.

I'd love for the hotel to be replaced by lushly landscaped parkland one day with beautiful arts and culture pavilions by designed leading architects.
You are aware that this site is in Toronto? (Also the site they are talking about a new lease for is the conference centre not the hotel.) (That said, the hotel is an ugly carbuncle and really should be redeveloped to open up the site and provide public access to more of lake front.

I agree, the current hotel site should simply be vacated for waterfront parkland.

The value of the site for that purpose exceeds any other, in terms of quality of life, and tourism.

Matter of fact, I'd go further and gladly abandon the rail deck park idea if we included the adjacent York Quay condos in the park.

On a dollar-cost basis, assuming we traded the hotel owners ownership of the current convention ctr site..........

I think this would end up cheaper than the rail deck park and far more popular.

Back