News   Jul 19, 2024
 348     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 629     1 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

If you notice, they try to serve Hespeler with a route via Eagle Street. The iXpress tries this with the big-box stop at the 401 and Hespeler Road, where it meets route 51 and the local Hespeler routes like 61 Melran. Of course it is insanity to serve central Hespeler unless this was part of a Guelph triangle link, which is crazytown (though there should be a regular Cambridge-Stone Road-UofG-St. George's Square service, and a regular K-G bus as well).

I don't know how many people would use such a system (aside from a handful of commuters, and Canadian fans going to watch sports in Detroit), but it's interesting.

I don't think there are any subway networks that transfer across international borders, but the closest existing example is at the two transfer points between Hong Kong's MTR and the Shenzhen Metro, at which passengers are required to get off one metro system, walk across the border, go through Hong Kong and Chinese immigration checkpoints, and then enter the other system. For most locals, going through immigration only involves swiping identity cards and doing a thumb scan at automatic gates on both sides of the border.

There are plans for the MTR and the Shenzhen Metro to accept each other's smart fare cards, which would require both cards to recognize two currencies (Hong Kong Dollars and China's RMB).

Not familiar with the Waterloo LRT plan, but I'm thinking it would be interesting to see future extensions turn the LRT into something like the interurbans of old. The system could be extended east to Guelph, and south to Paris and Brantford.

I thought Hong Kong was 100% Chinese as of '99. Why the need for checkpoints? We can blame US propogandist paranoia over border-crossings for lack of a Detroit-Windsor transit link which could help revitalize both regions.

As for K-W, it has far more potential to grow and expand as a metropolis due to its closer proximity to the GTHA. Our regions are co-dependent on eachother for employment and schooling. London, Windsor, Sarnia, et. all are standalone cities which won't attract as much long-haul commuter traffic as the aforementioned.

All of these are on the proposed route(s):

-3 downtowns (4 if you count Preston)
-1 or 2 University Campuses (route dependant)
-6 total campuses including Cambridge architecture school, Laurier school for social work, UW pharmacy school and proposed Center for International Governance in Uptown
-3 major malls
-2 major power centres
-1 tentatively moved VIA station
-2 potential GO stations
-4 bus terminals

The Centre for International Governance Innovation is already well established in Uptown Waterloo.

I can understand Sarnia with a population of only 80 000, but the greater Windsor region has a population of around 325000 people, This border city which also attracts a good amount of tourism should difinetly be considered for a future LRT line.
Greater Windsor seems to include much of Essex County. The main urban area is all pretty much withing the city limits of Windsor, and that's only just over 200,000. Not saying it's impossible, but urban Windsor is less than half the size of urban population in Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge - but perhaps more importantly isn't blessed with having so many major nodes along along a single alignment.

Make that 7 then, I meant the proposed Balsillie school of international affairs (same lot).

In any case, there are a lot of trip generators along the line.

I thought Hong Kong was 100% Chinese as of '99. Why the need for checkpoints?

HK returned to Chinese rule in 1997. However, China has guaranteed to maintain Hong Kong's capitalist society and keep it from communist rule for 50 years, which is why HK's government is separate from China's government except in foreign affairs and the military. The checkpoints are in place to prevent illegal immigration of mainland Chinese residents, preventing them from working in Hong Kong, overpopulating the city, or enjoying the freedoms and rights of its residents.

If you notice, they try to serve Hespeler with a route via Eagle Street. The iXpress tries this with the big-box stop at the 401 and Hespeler Road, where it meets route 51 and the local Hespeler routes like 61 Melran.

Eagle Street is technically Preston, not Hespeler. Hespeler is defined as being entirely north of the 401. Ask anyone from Hespeler, and I doubt they'll tell you that a stop at big box land is serving Hespeler.

Most of those are okay, but some of the Cambridge plans are spotty at best and poorly designed at worst. For example, at the southernmost point of the line, the tracks will narrow to one track that will be shared by LRVs travelling in both directions. :confused:

They also don't handle light rail/heavy rail crossings in their route plans, which will be a problem if/when the Cambridge extension is built.

Seems short sighted not to build the Galt station to make a future connection to rail services along the CP line convenient.

It's still possible to work in; they need a new structure for the CP line to cross Water Street, so they could probably work a footbridge from the station to the site of the anticipated GO station with no trouble.

It's going to be a real b****h of a job when they do it, though. Both road and rail have heavy traffic using that overpass, and shutting one or the other down for upgrading is going to be a real bother.

It looks as though they are planning to complete the loop in Galt by eventually taking northbound tracks up Ainslie to meet with the 2 track section on Water. That could work, and leave them with a double southbound track on Water north of Park Hill which would be a useful place to store a couple trainsets mid-day.

I'm not sure what they propose to do with the current set-up at Ainslie and Water. Northbound trains will block southbound traffic to Ainslie and Water, which will not make people happy. Is there a traffic signal proposed here?

If they are going to run the ROW on Water Street against the curb, they should look at putting a stop between Main and Dickson. It wouldnt have to be more than the sidewalk thats there now. A lot of trains will be stopped there for the light anyway, might as well take advantage, since it is a more central location that the bus terminal, and would serve the trip generators around Queens Square quite well.

That's another thing that puzzles me about the LRT plans, not just in Cambridge but in all three cities. Some of the stations are logically located, but not fully taken advantage of. Right now they have a stop at Dunbar Road where Cambridge Centre is, but it's nowhere near the bus station. Then they run almost the entire length of Eagle Street with no intermediate stops.

The separated rights of way in Kitchener and Waterloo (one way on one street, another way on another) are the worst examples, though. In Kitchener, you'll probably be walking at least three blocks to either get to work or go home unless you work on King Street. It will be easier to get away with in Waterloo, but it's still a long hike.

The separated rights of way in Kitchener and Waterloo (one way on one street, another way on another) are the worst examples, though. In Kitchener, you'll probably be walking at least three blocks to either get to work or go home unless you work on King Street. It will be easier to get away with in Waterloo, but it's still a long hike.

The Kitchener plan really is the worst. Of the LRT paired streets I've seen in downtown areas (San Jose, Phoenix, Croydon) the tracks are only one block apart. I can see why the tracks leave narrow King Street (trying to avoid a dead street without auto traffic, like Buffalo), but they should run either on Duke or Charles, not both. I'd pick Charles. Especially if the bus terminal was to move to a new VIA station, the current terminal would be a great redevelopment site.

I'd pick Charles as well. Duke is as narrow as King; I have no idea why they're even contemplating one-way travel on Duke.

Back