News   Jun 27, 2024
 127     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 93     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 493     0 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

A neat video made the Twitter rounds yesterday showing a timelapse of construction on King Street so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
The design is somewhere between Spadina/St. Clair, and VIVA rapidway. Better than the former, not quite as luxurious as the latter.

The platforms are going to be wider than your standard streetcar stop, and will have a small weather protected area. They will be wired to support electronic displays, as well as heaters. Heaters will be installed in about half the stops to start, ones without nearby indoor facilities.

The design is somewhere between Spadina/St. Clair, and VIVA rapidway. Better than the former, not quite as luxurious as the latter.

The platforms are going to be wider than your standard streetcar stop, and will have a small weather protected area. They will be wired to support electronic displays, as well as heaters. Heaters will be installed in about half the stops to start, ones without nearby indoor facilities.

Heaters & weather protected area? Nice. We should consider doing the same for the Finch & Eglinton LRT surface stops.

The "anchor walls" are pretty cool. For me I think it's a tie-up between these and St Clair's stops (which IMO have nifty artwork).

ION-stops-anchor-walls.jpg

Attachments

• ION-stops-anchor-walls.jpg
    ION-stops-anchor-walls.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 1,554

Much like Zum's shelters - though much better looking. Zum stops have countdown screens, a small indoor area (with electric heat), bike racks and benches.

They look great, but the skeptic in me wonders how long before they'll be vandalized in some way. Some of the stations would be more prone to this than others - Block Line, Mill, and R&T Park where the one side will be out of the public view. Hopefully the stations are well-lit and other measures are taken to deter this.

Personally I think I prefer St Clair's art over the wall with various coloured tiles.

It seems that this LRT is designed to only run one car 30 meter train. I guess this line isn't expected to need multi-car trains any time soon?

The stops will be fitted for single trains to start, with the platforms roughed in for expansion to running coupled units in the future.

What do St Clair's stops look like? I've seen a few people mention a comparison. I absolutely love what the Region/GrandLinq came up with for these!

It seems that this LRT is designed to only run one car 30 meter train. I guess this line isn't expected to need multi-car trains any time soon?

The stops will be fitted for single trains to start, with the platforms roughed in for expansion to running coupled units in the future.

Huh, that's news to me! Until now, I had judged by the engineering drawings that they were going to build out 2-car platforms to start. I guess this is possibly in the realm of value-engineering?

Whatever it is, the drawings indicate that track alignments and stop placements are being made to support 90~100m trains one day in the future. How long are the Flexitys going to be anyway?

Huh, that's news to me! Until now, I had judged by the engineering drawings that they were going to build out 2-car platforms to start. I guess this is possibly in the realm of value-engineering?

Whatever it is, the drawings indicate that track alignments and stop placements are being made to support 90~100m trains one day in the future. How long are the Flexitys going to be anyway?

Each one is 30 meters, same as the new streetcars. If it supports 90m then it can handle 3 car trains like Eglinton.

Page 4 of the PDF. Phase 1/Phase 2. Shows door markings to accommodate single trains to start, then coupled units of 2 trains.

3 hours ago | Vote0 0
Bombardier quality problems won’t derail LRT project, region says

B821961008Z.1_20150514084625_000_GC11FTUK6.4_Gallery.jpg

Bombardier LRT

Image submittedThe Region of Waterloo is buying 14 of these Bombardier trains for the light rail transit system in Kitchener and Waterloo.

Waterloo Region RecordBy Paige Desmond
WATERLOO REGION — Regional officials say problems that derailed the quality of Bombardier's Toronto Transit Commission streetcars shouldn't be an issue for local light rail trains.
Thomas Schmidt, commissioner of transportation and environmental services, said the region has inspectors ensuring the quality of the trains.
"We have inspectors on site that are there both in Mexico and Thunder Bay to check that the specifications are met and that the quality requirements are met," he said.
Parts are manufactured in Mexico and production of the trains takes place in Thunder Bay.
Region of Waterloo staff, consultants and representatives from Crown corporation Metrolinx have undertaken the inspections.
The Toronto commission rejected a batch of Bombardier-made streetcars because of a variety of quality problems that had officials worried the cars would break down.
Fifty cars were supposed to be up and running right now but just five are working, according to media reports.
Marc Andre Lefebvre, spokesperson with Bombardier, said those problems have been corrected.
"Since there are some parts that are common to both the streetcars and (light rail vehicles) for Waterloo, the good news is everything that we've learned, all of the issues that have arisen with the streetcars, all of the learning will be taken and will be put to the new Waterloo LRV and so those issues will not repeat again," he said.
Darshpreet Bhatti, director of rapid transit here, said the streetcars are different from the region's 14 Bombardier trains.
The Toronto streetcars were designed specifically for that city and haven't been made before, he said. The region's trains aren't a new design.
"Our job is to make sure that because we're still at the late end of design, many of the issues that are coming up which are production-related can be addressed easily on our process," he said.
Coun. Tom Galloway said it is concerning to see the Toronto problems.
"The stakes are high but no higher than they are in Toronto or in any other community that is using the Bombardier model," he said.
Regional politicians approved the $92.4-million-deal for Bombardier trains in July 2013.
There will be 56 standard seats, eight flip-up seats and four wheelchair spots on each of the region's trains. Capacity per train is about 200 people.
The first train is expected to be delivered here by fall of 2016 with the remainder delivered by the end of that year.
Bhatti said a strike at the Bombardier Thunder Bay plant in 2014 could affect the timeline for trains to be delivered.
"That range itself could be slightly modified because of the strike," he said. "At this point, I can say we don't necessarily have a major concern from a schedule point of view."
The region's light rail transit system will run 19 kilometres of track from Conestoga Mall in Waterloo to Fairview Park mall in Kitchener. It's expected to be carrying passengers by late 2017.
Schmidt said each train needs about 600 kilometres of run time before they are worked in and it's common that additional tweaks to the trains may occur during that time.
"Unless it was something really major, you would generally fix those (problems) here and that is anticipated, that there would be some of those fixes having to happen," he said.

pdesmond@therecord.com , Twitter: @DesmondRecord

http://www.therecord.com/news-story...roblems-won-t-derail-lrt-project-region-says/

Waterloo spur has been realigned (shifted east) from Columbia to Weber.

Untitled by ION Construction, on Flickr

Utility relocation continues on King and Charles

Piers for first Schneider Creek bridge almost complete

Maintenance Facility

And some milestones..

Hydro shift to south side of Borden St. complete: