News   Jun 21, 2024
 4.1K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.6K     3 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.8K     1 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

I imagine the foam blocks will stay on 502 until they've completed pull testing through all of the test track sections. The test track was expanded to include Conestoga Mall station, but there's been no pull tests done on that side of the OMSF yet (on Northfield Drive and King Street).

Would the tow vehicle affect tests of the in cab signalling bits? Maybe that's what they were checking on.
The whole route will a pull test both ways to make sure there are no problems. If any problems are found, they will have to be fix and another pull test is done.

Surprise the test area is to Conestoga Mall when it was supposed to be in the RR corridor from OMSF to Waterloo Northbound station.

I'm told there was testing going on today, including using a freight locomotive to test the signals for the shared trackage.

Sorry, wasn't offered a pic, although I may be able to secure one.

- Paul

Self Doubt

As near as I can figure, they pushed it back onto the ramp to jog something loose so they could disconnect it from the flatcar, using the closest tool at hand (the LRV).

Off to Bed

$3.25 cash fare, the same as all Grand River Transit services as you'll be able to seamlessly transfer between Ion, iExpress, and regular routes. They're re-jigging several major bus routes to reconfigure things from hub-and-spoke to ribs-and-spine (Ion), should speed things up all around.

$3.25 cash fare, the same as all Grand River Transit services as you'll be able to seamlessly transfer between Ion, iExpress, and regular routes. They're re-jigging several major bus routes to reconfigure things from hub-and-spoke to ribs-and-spine (Ion), should speed things up all around.

Kitchener/Waterloo will easily have the best transit outside of Toronto in Ontario. Leap-frogging Ottawa and Mississauga.

But wisely or not, not a part or PRESTO, non?

They're launching their own fare card (EasyGO), as they said PRESTO wasn't up to the challenge of our wheelchair bus service. I have no idea how true that was or wasn't, but it strikes me as opportunity lost for fare integration if we ever get our all day two way GO Train service. Ultimately it's all just software though, these farecards are all read/written with the same chipsets from NXP. They can throw code at the problem when the time comes...

Last edited:
Waterloo Region required the fare card to go to tender, and Metrolinx/Presto doesn't respond to tenders.
I respect that and that even makes sense. But each person stepping off a GO train should pay a co-fare and for reverse journey too.

There may be a role for the Brown government to lock everyone from regional transit agencies in a room with the mandate - “work it out”

Building things well is important. So is making sure they work well together. Hence the UrbanToronto knashing of teeth and vigourous debate over making YRT work with VIVA work with GO work with TTC in the context of the new subway.

Looking at this from my perspective, if I were the federal or provincial government, I would insist that any project applying for funding demonstrate a signed commitment to how that project fits into NETWORK and an integrated fare structure. The failure to do that could kill even the best of ideas.

Back