News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 939     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.6K     3 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

Well!!...........Today is Dec 1st and no cars delivery to KW or in transit as plan, regardless of numbers, but 2 for sure will be delivery this month.

The other question is, does BBD have more than one car in Kingston at this time??? If not, then 503 will ship once the flat with 504 is on is return to the plant.

If 505 is ready this month, then BBD needs at least 2 flats and more to meet the delivery of the rest of the cars. Those flats would then be used to ship Metrolinx cars.

At the same time, it will need 4 flats to ship Edmonton cars that will require 2 flats per car due to their extra length compare to all the others been ship and extra travel time and turn around for them.

BBD has 503, 505-510 in Kingston doing a whole bunch of testing and necessary post-production modifications if required. 511-514 are still in production and nearing completion.

Delivery and ready for delivery are 2 different things. What good is it to the Region if its sitting in Kingston in Dec when it was supposed to be in KW in Nov??

Must be using it as part of the media show this week.

503 is being used for the media event on Monday and then after that I assume they'll ship it.

If they don't ship in one piece depending what taking place on Edmonton for fear what many happen in transit, they need to visited Europe to see how things are done, but most of all they gone back to the stone age.

Most of the really long cars - I'm talking more than 100 feet here - cars in Europe are shipped in two pieces because of all of the headaches of trying to transport something so massive.

I had stuff shipped from my yard up to 200' long in one section with idlers at each end as well between the 2 cars holding the items in place. In most cases, where put on normal trains with slower speed. Had a few pieces that were ship together with two tie down on the same car, but about 150' long with idlers.

There are lots of things that are 200 feet long that are shipped by railway - I witnessed several loads of structural steel beams on CN that were pretty close to that length a couple of months ago. Or windmill components in excess of 100 feet a week ago.

But those items are rigid and self-supporting. You support the centre part of the item on the middle car, and use the idlers on either side to give them clearance. But you can't do that with a 140 foot long streetcar.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Not necessarily with an ION vehicle, but my understanding is that they will be doing some testing late this week or early next on finalizing the signal system.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

503 is being used for the media event on Monday and then after that I assume they'll ship it.

Did the Bombardier media event in Millhaven (showing off ION LRV and Metrolinx Eglinton LRV) ever occur today; Monday December 4?

I haven't heard a thing about it in the press, or on-line including this forum.

The media didn't show up, as they seen enough of these show and tell with BBD failing to delivery as promises. Very quite even in Kingston for the
The Kingston Whig-Standard.

The media didn't show up, as they seen enough of these show and tell with BBD failing to delivery as promises. Very quite even in Kingston for the
The Kingston Whig-Standard.

Ha, ha. What a (well-deserved) slap in the face for BBD. Their PR people have egg on their faces now I guess, although no one will know it. Talk about no credibility left!

I read that the event was postponed by a day. The article is no longer available, suggesting the Whig may have jumped the gun on whatever it was they were reporting.

Not necessarily with an ION vehicle, but my understanding is that they will be doing some testing late this week or early next on finalizing the signal system.

When I caught 502 out today they were pushing and pulling it through the same section several times. I got the impression they were testing a signal detection point. I hope they don't have to do that for every single one like that, or I fear it will never open...

When I caught 502 out today they were pushing and pulling it through the same section several times. I got the impression they were testing a signal detection point. I hope they don't have to do that for every single one like that, or I fear it will never open...

They won't be using 502 for signal testing just yet. A towed car will react differently with the signal system than one that is running on its own accord.

Considering the blocks that they have affixed to the outside, they are still doing dynamic envelope testing of the and the infrastructure on the ROW.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I imagine the foam blocks will stay on 502 until they've completed pull testing through all of the test track sections. The test track was expanded to include Conestoga Mall station, but there's been no pull tests done on that side of the OMSF yet (on Northfield Drive and King Street).

Would the tow vehicle affect tests of the in cab signalling bits? Maybe that's what they were checking on.

Back