News   Jun 25, 2024
 909     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 831     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.4K     3 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

From your sidewalk observation platform - At any point, did any of those tape measurers and checklist checkers appear to have found anything that made for intense discussion or poking at?

Nope, it all went very smoothly, much faster than I expected! I assume that if they'd found a problem they would have took their ball (train) and went home, but this is the first time I've observed one of these tests so that assumption could be completely off base.

I'd have loved to have watched the whole thing, but I was way late for work, my phone was almost dead from all the videos and uploads, and I <really> had to pee; so I tapped out and finally went to the office.

Apparently the third car is being kept back for show and tell but someone on facebook had a picture of what is apparently the fourth car waiting for pickup in Kingston.

Apparently the third car is being kept back for show and tell but someone on facebook had a picture of what is apparently the fourth car waiting for pickup in Kingston.
That should be 504, the Dec car with 503 being the Nov. Which every way the numbers are switch, getting 2 cars so far in Dec and none in Nov as plan. Then like any BBD plans, they fail the smell test in the first place with another one replacing it.

Latest report to Regional Council stated that 504 would be delivered in Nov with 503 coming in December.

Latest report to Regional Council stated that 504 would be delivered in Nov with 503 coming in December.
Well!!...........Today is Dec 1st and no cars delivery to KW or in transit as plan, regardless of numbers, but 2 for sure will be delivery this month.

The other question is, does BBD have more than one car in Kingston at this time??? If not, then 503 will ship once the flat with 504 is on is return to the plant.

If 505 is ready this month, then BBD needs at least 2 flats and more to meet the delivery of the rest of the cars. Those flats would then be used to ship Metrolinx cars.

At the same time, it will need 4 flats to ship Edmonton cars that will require 2 flats per car due to their extra length compare to all the others been ship and extra travel time and turn around for them.

At the same time, it will need 4 flats to ship Edmonton cars that will require 2 flats per car due to their extra length compare to all the others been ship and extra travel time and turn around for them.

Depending on how they play their cards, they may only need two flat cars to ship each Edmonton car. They won't need a spacer car if it's shipped in two sections.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Depending on how they play their cards, they may only need two flat cars to ship each Edmonton car. They won't need a spacer car if it's shipped in two sections.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
They can ship the car in one piece spread over 2 flats and it would not require idlers at either end. It all depends on what is plan for off loading it in Edmonton. Like you stated, if in 2 sections, don't need idlers. Then you never know if CN will want idlers each end regardless of clearance, but more for protection.

Actual update on 504. It's ready for delivery.
Delivery and ready for delivery are 2 different things. What good is it to the Region if its sitting in Kingston in Dec when it was supposed to be in KW in Nov??

Must be using it as part of the media show this week.

^ I was just reporting on what I saw, not commentating, so I'll let others answer your question. As for the ability of any of the vehicles to start testing. because so little is public I think it's just helpful to keep in mind the total number of parties involved in this situation.

They can ship the car in one piece spread over 2 flats and it would not require idlers at either end. It all depends on what is plan for off loading it in Edmonton. Like you stated, if in 2 sections, don't need idlers. Then you never know if CN will want idlers each end regardless of clearance, but more for protection.

I don't think that they will be shipping the cars intact. There is way too much risk that something may happen. And so if they split the cars into two to load onto two flatcars, there is no need to use the idler cars, either. Their only purpose is to protect against the ends of the car overhanging the flat underneath it.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I don't think that they will be shipping the cars intact. There is way too much risk that something may happen. And so if they split the cars into two to load onto two flatcars, there is no need to use the idler cars, either. Their only purpose is to protect against the ends of the car overhanging the flat underneath it.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
If they don't ship in one piece depending what taking place on Edmonton for fear what many happen in transit, they need to visited Europe to see how things are done, but most of all they gone back to the stone age.

I had stuff shipped from my yard up to 200' long in one section with idlers at each end as well between the 2 cars holding the items in place. In most cases, where put on normal trains with slower speed. Had a few pieces that were ship together with two tie down on the same car, but about 150' long with idlers.

Since the flat is longer than the haft section, you have clearance between it and the end that doesn't require an idler.

Back