News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 832     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Waterfront Transit Reset Phase 1 Study

How should Toronto connect the East and West arms of the planned waterfront transit with downtown?

• Expand the existing Union loop

Votes: 200 73.3%
  • Build a Western terminus

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • Route service along Queen's Quay with pedestrian/cycle/bus connection to Union

Votes: 28 10.3%
  • Connect using existing Queen's Quay/Union Loop and via King Street

Votes: 19 7.0%
  • Other

Votes: 16 5.9%

• Total voters
Also, yeah - the foot of Yonge being a taxi/bus layby/lot seems like a waste IMO. It would be nice to make it a park; something like an entry into one of Toronto’s “great streets”.

Last edited:
Yep, but prefer to see a deck over the water so fish still can use the area. Then what is another few 100 feet going to do to the shore line when the water edge is already about 1500 feet from the original shores of Toronto.

I'm not at all crazy about this. I want to see public space and a view to the Lake at the foot of Yonge.

Not a view of a driveway/parking area for buses and taxis.

The damned hotel should be demolished (and the adjacent condos).

This city seems to have an infatuation with allowing for countless screws ups along the waterfront, so I mean what's a giant bus and taxi pick up zone in front of Yonge St right by the foot of the lake.

Probably about running a full Queens Quay line instead of having the 509/11 on the east and some sort of Cherry/Port Lands car on the west, with a transfer at Union.

From link, dated 2019.

1595713069673.png

n April 2019, City Council approved a streetcar loop expansion as the preferred option for the Union-Queens Quay Link and requested staff to commence the preliminary design and engineering stage of the project in 2020.

The Portal study is to be complete within the next 2 months, but the prefer location is west of Yonge. There is about $40-$50 million saving doing this.

A study is to look at taking Phase 2 all the way to Cherry St Loop than stopping at Parliament St as per the original EA plan.

Since there is a 35 Meter corridor for the east extension, various changes will be made that will be different from the west side. Martin Goodman Trail will be 4.2 meter wide and 5 cm lower than either side of it. Sidewalks wider.

Due to a problem with Microsoft Teams Meeting, I couldn't comment on various concerns by various members of the committee, as well ask my own question and correct various comments.

It seems TTC gone off the rail, as they don't see an full east-west line now considering they wanted back in the days of the Cherry St and QQW EA. Great mistake not to do it.

It been said the full TPAP will be completed a year from now, and then go to council to get funds to take design to 100% and look for funds to start construction. Phase 1 is to take 4 years to build and too long to have QQW out of service. A good example why phasing is needed for Phase 1, with the Portal and T connection being at the top. This way Phase 2 can be built first and then close QQW down to built the T connection. This will allow QQW out of service for about 6 months and become an east-west line servicing both side of Young St until Union Loop is done.

Phase 2 is to take about 3 years to build. What was not noted, how long to do Phase 2A by itself or part of Phase 2.

Almost 50% of the existing Yonge Slip will disappear to build the new entrance to the hotel and the docks. New bus and taxi layover areas.

I will be writing my views, comments and recommendation over the next few days and send them to Toronto Team and Waterfront Team since Microsoft Teams Meeting would not allow me to speak. I want my info pass onto everyone and will post my info here as well.

Comments and feed back welcome
50146703412_4aefc7038b_b.jpg

50146703507_0432eff5f1_b.jpg

50145921013_1abc67929a_b.jpg

50145921143_095d671b03_b.jpg

Is this material online?

"Public meeting" in quotes because of COVID-19, of course.
We should be in stage 3 when the time frame rolls around with higher numbers to be in one place for the Public meeting. Until various things are done, a firm date can't be be arrived at. October is the current time frame, but when in that month is unknown for another month or two. It could be pushed into Nov

Harbourfront Centre has been used in the past for events and could be use for the Oct event.

This maybe a drop in only with no presentation and a set number of people in the room.

Reactions: max
Noticed a mention of a Parliament "lakefill". Went to Google maps (link) and found this...

1595892649358.png

With the need to extend Queens Quay East to at least Cherry Street, they'll need to fill in a portion of the Parliament Slip. Looks like a building (labelled "The Old Rooster Squat") is in the way, as well. Will the road need to go around it?

^Some background info on that silo:

What's the plan for that entire site (parking, silo and the storage) - is it being redeveloped as part of the LDL/Port Lands project?
That still unknown and no precinct plan yet that I am aware of. There is a vision what QQ is to like and it will the same as the east extension and the west, but at 35 m width. That is why the slip has to be partly fill in, as well at Jarvis.

That still unknown and no precinct plan yet that I am aware of. There is a vision what QQ is to like and it will the same as the east extension and the west, but at 35 m width. That is why the slip has to be partly fill in, as well at Jarvis.

There is a precinct plan (Keating Channel) dated to 2010:

It foresee partial filling of Parliament Slip and realignment of QQE. This is nothing new. The particulars of the broader plan will change due to the Gardiner.

AoD

Back