News   Apr 25, 2024
 130     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 319     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 511     0 

Waterfront Transit Reset Phase 1 Study

How should Toronto connect the East and West arms of the planned waterfront transit with downtown?

• Expand the existing Union loop

Votes: 200 73.3%
  • Build a Western terminus

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • Route service along Queen's Quay with pedestrian/cycle/bus connection to Union

Votes: 28 10.3%
  • Connect using existing Queen's Quay/Union Loop and via King Street

Votes: 19 7.0%
  • Other

Votes: 16 5.9%

• Total voters
Contract for 30% design work on the underground portion of Waterfront LRT, is coming to the next TTC Meeting on June 17, 2020

Union Station Loop, Queen's Quay Station, and portal/tunnel.

Odd. They've not added a 45 Bay stop to the plan? IIRC the city purchased a chunk of the garage in order to make one possible.

Odd. They've not added a 45 Bay stop to the plan? IIRC the city purchased a chunk of the garage in order to make one possible.
The City got a section of the lower level of 45 Bay (CIBC Building) as part of the site plan approval. I did not think they ever intended to put another stop there and thought that this was to provide a way to add a second or wider tunnel at that point along Bay Street and probably connect it to the Union loop so it would provide a pedestrian link from Union Station to the (new) GO Bus station.

Maybe they will try to get similar space in basement of The Hub (30 Bay). Not sure this project has yet reached the point where this could be extracted as a 'benefit' but ....

Well they are adding a concourse to Scotiabank Arena (oddly its referred to as 60 Bay in the render). Add the fact there appears to be a 141 bay connector too.. you might see a slight extension or something to connect 45 Bay to the station too.

If I am reading the maps correctly and haven't heard a thing on the study for moving the portal to the west, it been determined that portal will be west of Yonge since this is where the colours changes. Since TTC is doing the underground work in pink and Waterfront doing the surface in blue, that is where the change take place.

This whole thing has been unfunded since the EA was approved and only made its way in to the City 10 year capital cost in 2019 and to be spread out over those 10 years, unless the Feds, Province or X show up with a bag of money to do it sooner than later.

What is unknown at this time if the new QQ station at Bay is to be built first or have the tracks in operation first and build the station while east-west service takes place so the Bay tunnel can be rebuilt.

As for at stop at 45 Bay St, never plan for nor is one to be built as far as I know. This most likely where the new platforms are to be built for the existing loop. If you look at the old plans, the west platforms and concourse area went south to almost Scotiabank Arena, since that is where the tunnel is under the Scotiabank Arena is.

We may know more come June 17 than what is is in the current report.

If the goal is to get the east-west line open ASP, the current line will have to be close 6-12 months to built the new T connection and any protections for the new station. Its possible that we may see the QQ line over to Parliament St in operation come 2025 and to Union by 2030.

I believe we will see a connection to Dufferin sooner than later, at the very least
IIRC the design and planning for the connection between Exhibition Loop and Dufferin Gate Loop seems to be even farther along than the planning for the Union and Queen's Quay expansion and the extension along Queen's Quay East. Granted, the Exhibition Place extension is a far simpler and less expensive project, but I think it's pretty likely that we see the connection to Dufferin open well before the Union & Queen's Quay expansion and the QQE extension.

This file was probably posted in this thread a long time ago, but this shows the striking level of design already on the Exhibition Place extension. I haven't seen anything near this level of detail for the Union/QQ expansion or the QQE extension, but please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong and if there is more detailed design done on either of the two extensions.

IIRC the design and planning for the connection between Exhibition Loop and Dufferin Gate Loop seems to be even farther along than the planning for the Union and Queen's Quay expansion and the extension along Queen's Quay East. Granted, the Exhibition Place extension is a far simpler and less expensive project, but I think it's pretty likely that we see the connection to Dufferin open well before the Union & Queen's Quay expansion and the QQE extension.

This file was probably posted in this thread a long time ago, but this shows the striking level of design already on the Exhibition Place extension. I haven't seen anything near this level of detail for the Union/QQ expansion or the QQE extension, but please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong and if there is more detailed design done on either of the two extensions.

I have not seen that before. Wow pretty extensive eh?

I have not seen that before. Wow pretty extensive eh?
Before I found it, I was still pretty sure that the Exhibition extension was further along, but that's full-on proof. Funny how it came up as the second result of a Google Search for "exhibition place streetcar extension". The file is dated from April of last year, so I can only imagine the progress that's been made since then.

Before I found it, I was still pretty sure that the Exhibition extension was further along, but that's full-on proof. Funny how it came up as the second result of a Google Search for "exhibition place streetcar extension". The file is dated from April of last year, so I can only imagine the progress that's been made since then.

Hopefully we learn more soon. Found this reference to a future update on the project here (under Exhibition Place Streetcar Link). With the Feds wanting to fund infrastructure as part of the COVID recovery, hopefully the TTC gets everything in order with this project.

The City is anticipating to report back to Council on next steps for the design, construction, and associated financial implications of the planned exclusive streetcar right-of-way between Exhibition Loop and Dufferin Loop in Q2 2020.

Hopefully we learn more soon. Found this reference to a future update on the project here (under Exhibition Place Streetcar Link). With the Feds wanting to fund infrastructure as part of the COVID recovery, hopefully the TTC gets everything in order with this project.

I must have re-subscribed, again, to maybe the third time. They must be changing their names, again. I'll see how long this subscription lasts.

There are a number of issues that still need to be workout before shovels are in the ground.

Where and how does the Ontario Line Station fit into this plan considering it wasn't even in the picture when this was started close to 10 years ago??

Getting people to/from the EX to/from GO Platforms and Liberty Village is still a major issue and the tunnels are still too small, especially during the EX, let alone soccer games. Having the public to cross the surface tracks was and still is an issue, especially during the EX.

Dufferin Loop has been an issues during the Ex before the 504 started to service it and will be more with 2 lines there now and only 2 bus locations.

Does the the reverse loop at Exhibition Loop still exist or does the 509 now drop down on an angle and drop riders off going west?? Only showing the angle line going west in these plans. The idea for the Exhibition reverse Loop was to drop riders off like they do today and loop to go west not only to Dufferin Loop, but also west on King St to/from either Long Branch, Park Lawn or Dundas W Station until the Lake Shore Line is built around 2035.

Isn't the rebuilding of the Dufferin Bridge supposed to start in 2022, let alone the other 3 bridges as I have lost track on them??? Once this starts, the Lakeshore Line will be on detour like in the past.

Does the the reverse loop at Exhibition Loop still exist or does the 509 now drop down on an angle and drop riders off going west?? Only showing the angle line going west in these plans. The idea for the Exhibition reverse Loop was to drop riders off like they do today and loop to go west not only to Dufferin Loop, but also west on King St to/from either Long Branch, Park Lawn or Dundas W Station until the Lake Shore Line is built around 2035.

You're talking about this?

1591997673764.png

Looks like the westbound streetcars would be located north of the Food Building, while the eastbound streetcars would remain where it is now (sort of). This was as of 2018, so with there likely will be changes with the Ontario Line's Exhibition Station.

You're talking about this?

View attachment 251192
Looks like the westbound streetcars would be located north of the Food Building, while the eastbound streetcars would remain where it is now (sort of). This was as of 2018, so with there likely will be changes with the Ontario Line's Exhibition Station.
To the east where the angle westbound track start to angle, that is where the eastbound track was to loop backup to the westbound track that I saw some years ago. This would allow service from the west to loop to go back west. Even the current 509 could still off load like it does today and loop to continue west. It could have been remove now. Having only one elevator per tunnel is not going to cut it and should look at a ramp system.

There is documentation, dated February, 2018, for the Exhibition GO Station. Probably also having to be done all over again because of the Ontario Line.

From link.

site-plan-large.jpg

It shows the westbound streetcars could shift south to westbound tracks heading to the Dufferin Loop. Also possible reverse loop for eastbound streetcars needing to go back.

Back