News   Jul 08, 2024
 248     0 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 602     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 3.2K     0 

Virgin Festival 2009

Holy smokes, on the (off) topic of the Olympic Island Festival, what a lineup: BSS along with Explosions in the Sky, Beach House, Apostle of Hustle. Looking at past lineups as well, I can't believe I've skipped this every year. As for V-Fest, I've lost faith in them ever since they cut the Lips' set short a couple years back. Their lineups have gotten progressively worse too, or at very least, the headliners have. I could probably see all the decent bands for cheaper collectively by going to their solo shows (which most inevitably play).

I was disappointed when Bjork didn't do a separate show on her tour in Toronto. Only V-Fest :(

i loved having vfest on the island, it was the perfect setting.

not too happy about the move up north. does anyone remember the traffic going to lollapalooza at molson park? it was crazy and that was years ago.

The Ottawa Bluesfest kills this thing.

I would be in heaven:

Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Sam Roberts Band
The National
Girl Talk
Black Mountain
DeVotchka
Handsome Furs
Holy F*ck
Japandroids
M83
Okkervil River
The Dodos

I wouldn't really call any of that blues, but yeah, that's a pretty good lineup. Also, wow, VFest Montreal looks atrocious. Even the worst Toronto Virgin Festival lineup has been light years ahead of that; do they just have terrible taste in anglophone/English-spoken music over in Montreal or something?

They don't even have an electronic music tent at ours.
Yes, they've always had an electronic tent in Toronto, but the artists were never well promoted on the bill.

Holy smokes, on the (off) topic of the Olympic Island Festival, what a lineup: BSS along with Explosions in the Sky, Beach House, Apostle of Hustle. Looking at past lineups as well, I can't believe I've skipped this every year. As for V-Fest, I've lost faith in them ever since they cut the Lips' set short a couple years back. Their lineups have gotten progressively worse too, or at very least, the headliners have. I could probably see all the decent bands for cheaper collectively by going to their solo shows (which most inevitably play).
Their line-up is about to get oh so much worse. Apparently crappy Virgin Radio Toronto wants to align the festival with the super crappy music they play. Basically, only Oasis would qualify from last year's festival. It's going to be middle-of-the-road crap. For instance, Montreal's Virgin Fest is being headlined by New Kids on the Block (to match Virgin Radio's format in that city).

i loved having vfest on the island, it was the perfect setting. not too happy about the move up north. does anyone remember the traffic going to lollapalooza at molson park? it was crazy and that was years ago.
Yup, Molson Park was a disaster of a venue in so many ways. Impossible to get to, not that great of a park when you are actually there, Barrie cops being totally unreasonable with the slightest offenses and despite the name, probably the hardest place in Ontario to actually get a beer. Downsview Park would make a nice compromise methinks.

The Ottawa Bluesfest kills this thing.
I would be in heaven:
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Sam Roberts Band
The National
Girl Talk
Black Mountain
DeVotchka
Handsome Furs
Holy F*ck
Japandroids
M83
Okkervil River
The Dodos
that sounds amazing!
Wow, that's amazing. I might have to go just to see M83 again.

All said, I think TO's best bet may be a Coachella/Glasto-type festival in Downsview Park and/or turning NXNE into something as big and interesting as SXSE. This city isn't short of music fans or mucisians and it's really quite embarassing how bad our festival circuit is most years.

m83 are playing on friday july, 17th at the phoenix. i can't wait to see them again.

I've been a fan for years, but have never caught them live.... Are they good in person?

Hopefully there are still tickets.

I like the Ottawa Bluesfest because they have solid headliners for the mainstreamers, and then amazing folk and indie acts on the small stages.

Halifax's Virgin Festival line-up has been announced also. Horrible lineup if you ask me.

Tragically Hip
Offspring
Metric
Dinosaur Jr.
Hey Rosetta!
Plants and Animals
Arkells

If you like Canadian indie music the Wolfe Island Music festival is worth checking out. I went last year and it was great, Jason Collett, Plants and Animals, The Acorn, Wintersleep and Cadence Weapon all put on great shows. I thought Plants and Animals were especially amazing.

The line up isn't official yet, but I have heard that Apostle of Hustle, Holy Fuck, Attack in Black, Woodhands, The Rural Alberta Advantage, and PS I love you are rumoured to be there this year.

It's a great laid back atmosphere, the concert takes place in a baseball diamond on Wolfe Island, and there is tonnes of Mill St beer to go around (and you don't have to drink it in a designated beer tent).

http://wolfeislandmusicfest.com/

Halifax's Virgin Festival line-up has been announced also. Horrible lineup if you ask me.

Tragically Hip
Offspring
Metric
Dinosaur Jr.
Hey Rosetta!
Plants and Animals
Arkells

uhh what? the Hip always put on a great show, Metric is great, Dinosaur freaking Jr!, Plants and Animals... Don't know much about hey rosetta and the arkells (just haven't given them a shot yet) and the offspring suck, but 4 out of 7 sure bets is pretty good.

And instead of the Olympic Island concert, BSS is going to put on a free show at Harbourfront Centre this summer. That will be awesome (despite the fact Christopher would probably say that they're shit.)

Back