News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 935     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 358     0 

VIA Rail

Why are the P42's at end of life and the F40's not when the F40 is an older loco? Im guessing it just was a more popular unit and therefore theres more parts etc for it?

According to VIA's 2018 Corporate Plan, pg. 62, under "Corridor Fleet Renewal:"

Of VIA Rail’s 40 locomotives, neither, the 19 F40s or the 21 P42s, currently comply with Canada’s minimum environmental regulatory requirements or the industry Best Practice exhaust emission standards. Furthermore, neither complies with the newly proposed crashworthiness standards. It has been identified that the F40 locomotives represent an opportunity to be overhauled such that they can satisfy both of the aforementioned requirements. Unfortunately, the monocoque design of the P42 implies that this model can be made environmentally compliant though not crashworthy.

I gather they can be grandfathered under the old regulations during regular operation and maintenance, but during an overhaul (which they are due for), they would be required to be brought up to the new standards.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I wonder if there are real safety concerns with the LRCs as implied, or if it is a matter of the government not wanting the potential embarrassment of after spending money to replace the fleet, because it is at the end of its life, to then have VIA (or someone else) getting many more years of service out of the equipment? [...]
Getting the LRCs off the (rail)road with as little delay as possible is way too urgent to waste precious time with pondering about the other possible motivations you volunteered...

From the linked Railway Technology article:

Siemens Mobility Canada CEO Yves Desjardins-Siciliano said: …​

I can't remember the timing. Was YDS still CEO of VIA when Siemens was selected for the new fleet? I liked him as CEO, but … 🤔
Not sure I follow: what exactly is the ethical issue with one of VIA's suppliers (led by a former VIA CEO) acquiring another?

The Q&A to which a few UT'ers submitted questions is linked here: https://corpo.viarail.ca/sites/default/files/media/pdf/speeches/2021 Annual Public Meeting_VIA Rail_Q&A_EN.pdf

I will repost some of the questions/answers here that I know or believe originated w/forumers here. For the full set, please follow the link above.

1622153969408.png

1622154015685.png

1622154090533.png

1622154498299.png

1622154160908.png

1622154191227.png

The Q&A to which a few UT'ers submitted questions is linked here: https://corpo.viarail.ca/sites/default/files/media/pdf/speeches/2021 Annual Public Meeting_VIA Rail_Q&A_EN.pdf

I will repost some of the questions/answers here that I know or believe originated w/forumers here. For the full set, please follow the link above.

View attachment 323198
View attachment 323199
View attachment 323200

View attachment 323206

View attachment 323201
View attachment 323202
Has Via ever given any indication of what "regional hub" might mean for a place like Kingston?

Has Via ever given any indication of what "regional hub" might mean for a place like Kingston?

^VIA has definitely suggested that trains could arrive at Kingston in the late evening and lay over, permitting new early morning services originating there.

There is also a suggestion that trains would turn back, or at least cease a continuous journey, in Kingston. I have ‘t actually seen a VIA source for this, it seems to be assumed.

- Paul

^VIA has definitely suggested that trains could arrive at Kingston in the late evening and lay over, permitting new early morning services originating there.
When did they stop doing that? It was pretty routine for the late train from Toronto to Kingston, to lay-over on a siding somewhere near Kingston, before leaving first thing in the morning.

^I’m underwhelmed by those answers. I will admit that I have been a fan of cruel jokes about lawyers. I’m beginning to think that I have let corporate communications people off too easy.

Most disappointing was the answer to the question about where the$491.2M will go. When you articulate a number with that precision, and get approval for such an exact amount, you know exactly how you intend to spend it.

Apparently we don’t deserve an honest answer?

- Paul

When did they stop doing that? It was pretty routine for the late train from Toronto to Kingston, to lay-over on a siding somewhere near Kingston, before leaving first thing in the morning.

Yes, one train to Toronto. I believe the intent is to add to that, with at least one departure in each of three directions,

- Paul

Trains 650, 651 and 655 have been suspended since the first CoVid schedule, which took effect Tuesday, March 17, 2020. They were still shown in the last pre-Covid schedule (effective March 8, 2020):
Screenshot_20210527-193039_Dropbox.jpg

You can forget that, according to Jason Shron:

I bet that if safety is really a concern they would be limiting their use in the corridor during covid. Seeing that currently LRC's are more reliable than legacy fleet means it's more of a financial reason.

I mean the whole reason the funding was approved was because they cannot be rebuilt right? So if it turns out that it's not true then that would be a problem.

Seems like it's more political than anything.

Are there any ex Amt GO Cars still in storage? Did all of the remaining Tempo cars go Agawa Canyon railway?

I can't imagine that Transport Canada would make up safety regulations for VIA just so they could make their recent purchase be more politically acceptable by forcing the LRCs of the tracks. Maybe I'm naive, but I feel that there is a bit of a firewall between those who make safety regulations and those concerned about PR for VIA/politicians.

Back