News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.6K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 538     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

VIA Rail

^The meat of the legislation is hard to discern to we sidewalk observers. I presume that the changes in which Acts apply to VIA affects how it receives funding and how it is positioned in the Federal bureaucracy… maybe someone can explain?

The Schedule of routes to be served appears to be left at the mercy of the Governor in Council…. ie the Cabinet. That’s not much of an improvement from today. I don’t see anything explicit that sets a level of transparency or a process for public input. Nor does it declare (in plain words, anyways) how much autonomy and arms-length policymaking and freedom to offer independent and objective analysis and advocacy it can exercise. (mumble Metrolinx mumble) Does it have the ability to seek its own investment capital?

If the Board is set by Cabinet and the routes are set by Cabinet, the business remains highly political and not really free to pursue an aggressive business development strategy or act in its own best interest. But maybe the legalese is beyond me ?

So while I have long wanted to see VIA get this kind of footing, I’m still looking for the assurance that this legislation corrects the things that have held VIA back. I’m very eager to stand corrected on all of the above.

- Paul

Last edited:
And what about Edmonton - Calgary. How come that isn't on the list?
Because it's a list of VIA's current network and Montreal-Gaspé and Victoria-Courtenay are simply "indefinitely suspended" (due to unsafe track conditions) without having fallen victim to any budget cuts.

That list merely protects the Status Quo, nothing more...

Also for Toronto - Niagara Falls Service.. which hasn't operated in nearly 2 years now and even when it did operate, it was only on technicality using Amtrak equipment from the Maple Leaf on a once daily trip at odd hours. It's been years since an actual VIA train went to Niagara Falls. There is a reason Niagara is pushing for the GO Train so much.

Also for Toronto - Niagara Falls Service.. which hasn't operated in nearly 2 years now and even when it did operate, it was only on technicality using Amtrak equipment from the Maple Leaf on a once daily trip at odd hours. It's been years since an actual VIA train went to Niagara Falls. There is a reason Niagara is pushing for the GO Train so much.
Go train to Niagara is being worked on.

Even though the Maple Leaf used Amtrak equipment, it was still operated as a VIA Rail train with VIA Rail crew. As a result unless Amtrak plans to cancel the train permanently (which I highly doubt), it still counts as a VIA Rail service.

Even though the Maple Leaf used Amtrak equipment, it was still operated as a VIA Rail train with VIA Rail crew. As a result unless Amtrak plans to cancel the train permanently (which I highly doubt), it still counts as a VIA Rail service.
There used to be 4 trips a day before cut backs....

How many VIA Rail Acts have died on the order paper over the years? This seems like such a broken record in Ottawa during my lifetime.
By the count of our friends at High Speed Rail Canada, at least five:
Irene Mathyssen , NDP MP for London—Fanshawe, ON on October 16th, 2017 has moved for leave to introduce Bill C-370, An Act to continue VIA Rail Canada Inc. under the name VIA Rail Canada, to amend the Canada Transportation Act and to make consequential amendments to other Acts.

NDP MP for Gaspésie—Les Îles-de-la-Madeleine, Philip Toone had previously tried to have a VIA Rail Canada Act Bill C-640 passed unsuccessfully in 2015. This was after other unsuccessful attempts By MP Olivia Chow Bill C-577 and Philip Toone C-614.

[...]

The attempts to get a VIA Rail Act passed are not new. Former Liberal Federal Minister of Transport David Collenette also tried to have Bill C-26 passed in 2003.

^The meat of the legislation is hard to discern to we sidewalk observers. I presume that the changes in which Acts apply to VIA affects how it receives funding and how it is positioned in the Federal bureaucracy… maybe someone can explain?
This is an amendment to legislation from 1996 and the only change is that they are dropping "Inc." from their name. The above bill points out all the places in the original legislation where the words "VIA Rail Canada Inc" occurs. and replaces that with "VIA Rail Canada" and that is it. There is no new "meat". The legislation (like all others passed in government) is available online: https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/c-10.4/fulltext.html .

What about restoring the Canadian to daily service? Would that be a possibility?
Even though I take pride in being probably the most vocal defender of VIA's existing non-Corridor services on this forum, my problem with extending any non-Corridor service levels beyond the current ones is that investing the same incremental subsidy in intercity bus rather than rail services would almost certainly represent a dramatically higher utility and value-for-money, as this comparison of VIA Rail's and ONTC's unit costs suggests:

MetricVIA Rail
(2018, entire network)
VIA Rail
(2018, Corridor only)
Ontario Northland
(2018, Motor Coach Services only)
VIA Rail (rail)
vs. ONTC (bus)
Scheduled timetable volume10,983,773 km8,701,131 km3,821,706 km2.9 (Corridor: 2.3) times
Direct operating expenses$328.8 million$217.0 million$11.6 million28.3 (18.7) times
- per timetable-km$29.94$24.94$3.049.9 (8.2) times
Fully-allocated operating expenses$665.2 million$448.8 million$14.5 million45.9 (31.0) times
- per timetable-km$60.56$51.58$3.8015.9 (13.6) times
Operating deficit (Subsidy)$272.6 million$143.4 million$3.6 million76.5 (40.3) times
- per timetable-km$24.82$16.48$0.9326.7 (17.7) times
Cross-post from: Amtrak Unlimited forum
Compiled from: previous posts here on Urban Toronto, using figures from VIA Rail's Summary of the 2019-2023 Corporate Plan (pp. 18-22) and its Annual Plan 2018 (p.9), as well as Ontario Northland's 2017-2018 Annual Report (p. 34)

Last edited:
While shooting Port Credit GO Station today, how is VIA trains getting around the closure??

I am assuming VIA trains are on detour using the Weston Sub and CN Halton Sub adding extra travel time for everyone.

It maybe possible to have the VIA train use track 3 at Port Credit upon getting track clearance.

While shooting Port Credit GO Station today, how is VIA trains getting around the closure??

I am assuming VIA trains are on detour using the Weston Sub and CN Halton Sub adding extra travel time for everyone.

It maybe possible to have the VIA train use track 3 at Port Credit upon getting track clearance.
If you have Transsee premium, there's a location history function that shows you a history of the speed and location of a train under "View Route Tracking History".

I cancelled my premium, so unfortunately I can't tell you.

No sign of a detour yesterday (every single train made TRTO-OAKV in 21-24 minutes):

1644850144924.png
1644850180526.png

1644850254221.png
1644850281516.png

Back