News   Jul 12, 2024
 303     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 201     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 422     0 

VIA Rail

The thing I hate about all of these new proposals, is that immediately want to jump from what's there now, which is either nothing or a service averaging maybe 100 km/h, to full high speed at 300 km/h. A train that could average 150-200 km/h over this route (or Alberta, or Montreal-Toronto, or...) would be a massive improvement and with any kind of regularity of service would attract substantial ridership.

The thing I hate about all of these new proposals, is that immediately want to jump from what's there now, which is either nothing or a service averaging maybe 100 km/h, to full high speed at 300 km/h. A train that could average 150-200 km/h over this route (or Alberta, or Montreal-Toronto, or...) would be a massive improvement and with any kind of regularity of service would attract substantial ridership.
How about being able to do 100mph sustained from Toronto to Edmonton? Approximately 3300 km.

MIght as well fly... There's a reason why airlines still work for longer journies in Eurasia despite extensive rail service being available.
Screenshot 2022-02-15 164327.png
Screenshot 2022-02-15 164339.png

No sign of a detour yesterday (every single train made TRTO-OAKV in 21-24 minutes):

View attachment 380051View attachment 380052

View attachment 380055View attachment 380056
Thanks as I wasn't sure if VIA was effected with the closure for GO.

I sure VIA will be effected in the coming closure as the tracks are to be replace with temporary bridge tracks so the LRT tunnel can slide under the tracks while service is running. In April, VIA will see detour again while the bridge tracks are remove with tracks being reinstall.

Its possible that Metrolinx will leave a window open to allow the few VIA trains through the area on one of the tracks if there are no issues on the site.

Alright. I guess it would make sense if it was high speed rail to the airport from your home town that doesn't have a major airport...would be better if airlines and railways worked together.
They do. If you're flying on Air Canada (for example Kingston to Toronto), and your flight gets delayed/cancelled, then you can call up VIA and trade in your plane ticket for a ticket on VIA for the same origin/destination pair.

VIA is also partners with Access Rail allowing people to book air-rail journeys together. However VIA's implementation of the system isn't good vs Deutsch Bahn because Access Rail isn't directly tied into VIA's reservation system. This means that only full fare tickets are bookable, and Access Rail doesn't know when a VIA train is sold out opening the door to overbooking.

They do. If you're flying on Air Canada (for example Kingston to Toronto), and your flight gets delayed/cancelled, then you can call up VIA and trade in your plane ticket for a ticket on VIA for the same origin/destination pair.

VIA is also partners with Access Rail allowing people to book air-rail journeys together. However VIA's implementation of the system isn't good vs Deutsch Bahn because Access Rail isn't directly tied into VIA's reservation system. This means that only full fare tickets are bookable, and Access Rail doesn't know when a VIA train is sold out opening the door to overbooking.
I mean getting TO the airport to catch a flight as part of your journey.

Not sure how VIA is supposed to fulfill its requirement of mandatory routes if two of them will require considerable amounts of capital funding before they can accommodate any passenger trains...

However, I'm currently more concerned about the potential outcome of the leadership race at the Conservative party:

God, Poilivere is such a smug twat.

God, Poilivere is such a smug twat.
When did he become a spokesperson for the RMR? And the RMR doesn't do anything to serve every day people along the route since it too expensive for the average person to ride.

If anything they should be mandated to provide transportation along their route if they are going to hold a monopoly on their corridor, including affordable fares.

I mean getting TO the airport to catch a flight as part of your journey.

When did he become a spokesperson for the RMR? And the RMR doesn't do anything to serve every day people along the route since it too expensive for the average person to ride.

If anything they should be mandated to provide transportation along their route if they are going to hold a monopoly on their corridor, including affordable fares.
He's trying to do the conservative 'everything private enterprise=good/government funded=bad'. No doubt in the fullness of time he will do the same with the CBC and probably others.

The two services aren't the same. RMR is an end-to-end excursion service. The RMR should be commended for not telling him to do some homework.

He's trying to do the conservative 'everything private enterprise=good/government funded=bad'. No doubt in the fullness of time he will do the same with the CBC and probably others.
Yes, exactly. Poilievere probably knows exactly what service RMR actually provides, and he does not care.
He has railed against the CBC and called for defunding it on many occasions.

Back