News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 413     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

VIA Rail

Agreed, though the metric unit is spelt tonne. One ton is approximately equal to 0.9 tonnes.
Corrected, thanks! (I'm learning more about the correct spelling and usage of the English language posting on forums like this than by doing two university degrees in said language...)

What is the mass of an empty Venture car? The link you provided says the Charger locomotive "weighs just 271,000 pounds" but it doesn't mention the mass of the Venture cars. I suspect this is because each car will be different depending on how it is configured, but it would be nice to have a ballpark or range.
Even though I couldn't find any weight for the Venture either, the Viaggio (as the older European cousin) has a tare weight of 46 tonnes and I have every reason to believe that any FRA-compliant design would be quite a bit heavier than that...

Interesting. I agree there isn't a power issue with a single locomotive. The worry I have with using cab cars more has to do with the physics of pushing a train. On straight track, if a car derails while being pushed, the slight offset resulting from the derailment will create an outward lateral force, pushing the car away from the centre of the track. When being pulled, that lateral force will be inward and pull the car back to the centre of the track, tending to keep it aligned on the centre of the track.

I would assume they have safety measures in place that will detect a derailment like this and automatically have the locomotive slow down when pushing, putting the train in tension, thus pulling the cars back to the centre. Otherwise, if unchecked, the situation could quickly escalate (especially at higher speeds) and could result in the train accordioning.
At its longest configuration, it is 7 car lengths long, so approximately 240 metres (8 car lengths à 30 metres). At its top speed of 110 mph, a train travels 49 metres a second. Therefore, it takes less than 5 seconds to travel the train's entire length. If the train derails (or worse: hits an obstacle) at such speeds, it's virtually irrelevant whether the train was accelerating or decelerating at the moment of impact.

According to the German Wikipedia page of the Eschede disaster, the separation of the train (ICE 1, thus locomotives on both ends) after the third car triggered an emergency break brake application on the detached cars and the trailing locomotive within half a second, while also lowering its pantograph. However, it took the leading locomotive 71 seconds to break brake from a speed of 170 km/h to standstill and whereas it survived almost intact, the rest of the train looked like this:
1633148521203.png

Regarding Brightline, my guess is that since it was a small order (only 5 trainsets), the NRE cost of designing a cab car exceeded the cost of purchasing 5 extra locomotives. Also, I gather the plan is to eventually expand the trainsets up to 10 cars, so maybe they would need a second locomotive then.
First they'll need to resume service again (which had been suspended since March 25, 2020, for obvious reasons, but is expected to resume again next month)...

Last edited:
Here is another video of the new train. What makes this video interesting is the camera pans to follow the train. As a result you can see the back of trailing Charger locomotive 2201. Looking at a freeze frame image I cut from the video, you can see that it doesn't have a standard Janney coupler, but instead, what looks like a semi-permanent coupler. This rules out any possibility of VIA mixing the new fleet with LRC and HEP cars, unless they are coupled to the very end of the train, which makes bidirectional operation more difficult.

VIA 2201 rear..png

Yes, the trainsets are semi-permanently coupled and that apparently includes the locomotives. As you say, it should allow for deadhead equipment moves of other fleets at the trailing end, but preclude the "mix and match" present-day VIA is famous for...

I knew that the coaches would be semi-permanently coupled together, but it was never clear how the locomotive would be coupled to the coaches. As I mentioned in post #9,978, Transport Action Canada claimed that it would be a standard coupler. Obviously they were (once again) mistaken. There really isn't much need to semi-permanently couple the locomotive to the train (passengers aren't walking between the two), so the only reason to semi-permanently couple it would be to increase flexibility, and allow trains of any configuration, rather than requiring locomotives to be coupled to a Business 3A coach (and vice versa). OTOH, using a standard coupler would make it quicker and easier to swap out the locomotive if necessary and allow standard coaches to be inserted between the locomotive and the first Venture coach.

Does anyone know if this type of semi-permanent coupler is bidirectional? In other words, do coaches have the same coupler at both ends or are there different front and back couplers?

I would assume that the another benefit of semi-permanent couplings is increased lateral and longitudinal rigidity , but that would depend on the specific design and is almost certainly less important than the operational benefits of standardized couplers.

I would assume that the another benefit of semi-permanent couplings is increased lateral and longitudinal rigidity , but that would depend on the specific design and is almost certainly less important than the operational benefits of standardized couplers.

I'm sure that you could have some type of emergency coupler if you wanted to. Or connect the conventional cars at the end of the fixed trainset. But then you would need to wye the train at the destination.

At least you can still have a mixed J-train consist.

When recalling some of the interior shots which have been published so far, I increasingly think that the vestibules are wider than VIA's legacy fleet and thus incompatible to each other. In any case, any change in the existing design might have caused delays in the already ambitious timeline, for very limited benefits (if the cars remain inherently incompatible with VIA's legacy fleet)...

idk if this was mentioned, but the engines on the new chargers got de-rated, they're SC-42s instead of SC-44s now.

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else yet. Looks like they're 4200hp given that the Amtrak SC-44s have 4400hp while the Brightline SC-40s have 4000hp. Not sure why though.

I'm sure that you could have some type of emergency coupler if you wanted to. Or connect the conventional cars at the end of the fixed trainset. But then you would need to wye the train at the destination.

At least you can still have a mixed J-train consist.
I don't quite understand why any emergency couplers or a wye could be needed? The train sets could just act as single reversible units or be combined together using the janney couplings at the fronts of the locomotives and cab cars.

Back