News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 535     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

VIA Rail

Not everyone shops around for places to live. Plenty of people want to live where they were born, where their friends and family are, and in a community where they feel comfortable. Places like Sudbury have seen incredible decay in train service in the last 40 years. You can't take train service away from people and then chastise them for not living somewhere with good train service.

Or find employment.

First off, out of keeping my own sanity I have blocked urban sky. With me, in the past, he does not know how to discuss anything unless you agree with him.
You make a valid point, but I think it’s being expressed a bit mean-spiritedly. Those in remoter regions cannot expect transportation to have the form or convenience that is possible in more densely populated areas, I agree. But ”like it or move” is a bit arbitrary. As a very large country, we need to be very concerned about encouraging development in the hinterland (assuming, of course, that there are resource or other industries out there to make that investment sustainable).

The apt analogy that strikes me this morning, is owning a snowblower. My neighbour owns one, and I never have. At this precise moment as I watch him use it I’m envious, but as I do the math on price, frequency of use, and effort required to maintain and store a snowblower all year long to be ready for the odd blizzard, I still can’t justify the expense. This doesn’t mean I oppose snowblowers, there are other places where snowfall is heavier and everyone sensibly owns one. But not here in Etobicoke.

I think we would be well served to link Northern Ontario to the south by rail. For the most part, we actually have spare rail capacity to do that, if we focus on Toronto-North Bay- Timmins/Sault. However, in an environment where we haven’t even invested in Toronto-Kitchener-London or Toronto-Niagara, (both of which I can get really worked up about as missed opportunities) this may not be the time. Yet.

Whenever I think about Northern Ontario rail, I am reminded of the rail lines to Bodo Norway. Norway certainly proves that one can use rail to structure transportation in remote, sparsely populated areas. Having said that, while there are passenger trains up there, thay are not exactly on the hour - it’s a spartan, well though out but not lavish timetable. And, the Norwegian context is a light year away in terms of taxation and attitudes to public infrastructure investment.

- Paul

I own a snowblower, and a plow, and a bunch of shovels. My neighbour has these too. His plow broke down and we had a significant snowfall. I plowed some of his driveway to help him out. That is what neighbours do.

I live near 2 Via train lines. I don't expect hourly service on them. I expect better than 12 hours late. Just imagine Corridor trains being 12 hours late, consistently. Or being that percentage late consistently. There would be come a point where it would become irrelevant. That is what everything outside the Corridor has become.

Two changes would need to be made to make Via outside the Corridor relevant again.
First, it needs to be on time more often. If that means a schedule change that allows the 12 hours to become a normal thing, then so be it.
Second, it needs to be a daily service. If it cannot do that, it will never seen as meaningful transportation.

You talk about Timmins to the Soo. You can't get there from here. Timmins does not have rail into the city, or a station location. That''s all gone. If I understand what you mean though, you want to take the ACR line? Good idea. Why not do a circular, both directions? Start in North Bay, go up to Hearst, down to Soo, then over to Sudbury, an back to North Bay. Throw in the return of almost daily to Toronto and I would be quite happy. Not only would I, but around 300,000 residents along those lines would be too.

Not everyone shops around for places to live. Plenty of people want to live where they were born, where their friends and family are, and in a community where they feel comfortable. Places like Sudbury have seen incredible decay in train service in the last 40 years. You can't take train service away from people and then chastise them for not living somewhere with good train service.
I live in a house on the lake, and got it for under $500k. I hunt, fish, snowmobile, etc. Not many places along the Corridor suits my needs or wants. If I could take a train to Toronto for the weekend, I would. Having passenger rail close by isn't a deciding factor in my life. Never has been and never will be. Doesn't mean it shouldn't exist and be better.

You make a valid point, but I think it’s being expressed a bit mean-spiritedly.
You can't take train service away from people and then chastise them for not living somewhere with good train service.
I have created a new thread called Lack of meaningful Passenger Rail service outside the Quebec-Windsor Corridor and responded to you there, as the present discussion does not belong into this thread for at least four reasons:

1) Not all these corridors were historically served by VIA (or CN and CP in pre-VIA days). For instance, Ontario Northland and the Algoma Central Railroad operated passenger rail service in Ontario, while BC Rail operated in British Columbia.
2) VIA is not the only current operator of intercity passenger rail service in Canada. For instance, Ontario Northland still operates the Polar Bear Express, the Keewatin Railway Company operates in Northern Manitoba and Tshiuetin Rail Transportation operates through Northern Quebec and Labrador.
3) The operation of at-least-daily passenger rail services outside densely populated areas (the so-called "Regional services"), were eliminated from VIA's mandate with the January 1990 cuts*, meaning that VIA would not be able to restore daily non-corridor passenger rail service even if it wanted.
4) VIA is not the only operator which could operate daily non-corridor passenger rail services, as any level of government can contract whatever operator they deem suitable.

* Due to a lawsuit by the BC government, service on Vancouver Island was spared from its termination unlike all other "Regional services". Nevertheless, the lawsuit was eventually dismissed and service was terminated when the tracks had become unsafe to operate on.

Nevertheless, my argument can be summarized as follows:
And to stay in Paul's picture: what @micheal_can has been doing here and on Skyscraper Page for the last few years is equivalent to demanding that the public pays for your housing you can't afford (which is a civic right and public obligation), but insisting that it has to be a mansion with 9 bedrooms and as many bathrooms...

Similarly, repeatedly complaining in this thread about the total lack of daily public transport in the Greater Sudbury Area while refusing to count intercity bus service as part of a public transport service would be equivalent to me whining every month about the lack of any Metro service in Montreal, just because I refuse to count any vehicle operating with rubber tire as a rail service.

Therefore, I invite everyone who has previously sent me private messages with subject lines like "How do you endure @Micheal_can?" or has expressed his exasperation about how @micheal_can keeps dragging the discussions in the respective "VIA Rail" threads of Urban Toronto and Skyscraper Page towards the source of his eternal misery and join me in reporting any posts which repeat (or respond to) the ever-same complaints about the lack of at-least-daily passenger rail in Sudbury or anywhere else outside the Corridor by using the "Report" function to kindly ask our helpful UT team to move it into a more appropriate thread.

@AlvinofDiaspar, would it be possible to kindly move the following posts into the new thread Lack of meaningful Passenger Rail service outside the Quebec-Windsor Corridor?

#9,089
#9,090
#9,091
#9,092
#9,093
#9,094
#9,095 (Actually, you can delete this post of mine, as moving this discussion would obviate the very reason for that post)
#9,096
#9,097
#9,098
#9,099
#9,100
#9,101
#9,102
#9,103
#9,104
#9,105
#9,106
#9,107
#9,109
#9,112
#9,114

Now, if we could return to discussions which actually relate to the topic of this thread...

Last edited:

Recommendations #1 – Commitment to High Frequency Rail (HFR)

RAC encourages the Government to launch VIA Rail’s High Frequency Rail (HFR) project once the exploratory work and additional analysis are completed, as it represents a key infrastructure initiative that will contribute to a more sustainable economic recovery for Canada. HFR is a shovel-worthy project that will boost Canadian’s economic growth while reducing GHG emissions by 10 Mt (or 14 Mt if electric) over 30 years, which is equivalent to removing 10% of cars from the road for one year in Canada. By implementing and operating this new service within its entire network, VIA will better connect Canadians in the most populous region of the country by increasing train frequencies, shortening trip times, and providing more reliable service. Recommendation: Launch VIA Rail’s HFR project in order to create employment, stimulate sustainable growth and leverage the environmental benefits of moving more passengers by rail.

No. The one I linked to is a full schedule (which also includes the corridor). You just need to scroll past the corridor schedules.
Takes like 8 Hours to get from Sudbury to Toronto? I'm sure that's padded. You should be able to do it in 6.

Sudbury Jct.*04:49
Parry Sound(CN Station /Gare CN)4208:42
Washago4210:59
Toronto, ONET / HE(Union Station / Gare Union)AR14:29

Takes like 8 Hours to get from Sudbury to Toronto? I'm sure that's padded. You should be able to do it in 6.

Yup. In 2019 VIA padded the schedule and increased the travel time between Toronto and Vancouver from 3 to 4 days to improve on time performance.

The fastest scheduled travel time I could find between Sudbury and Toronto was exactly 6:00 hours (back in April 1978, which was the last schedule before VIA abandoned the CP routing between both cities):
1613764500388.png

However, the question is not how fast you could be, but what travel time (and frequency!) CN would be willing to provide you and how it would compare with the actual travel time...

Last edited:
Hey man, I appreciate all the text, but you misunderstood my post. My social circle says this to ME, that the train (at least in North America) is for poor people. I dont share these beliefs. I take the train everywhere I go, including Canada, Europe and the USA.
Once life gets back to normal, post a few pictures of the business class meals and drinks on VIA on social media. Unless your friends are happy to fork out 10x more for business class air fares, they might be intrigued!

At my previous company I introduced a simple travel perk policy: Take the train and we'll pay for business class, which is comparable in price to flying economy or paying mileage anyway.

Once life gets back to normal, post a few pictures of the business class meals and drinks on VIA on social media. Unless your friends are happy to fork out 10x more for business class air fares, they might be intrigued!

At my previous company I introduced a simple travel perk policy: Take the train and we'll pay for business class, which is comparable in price to flying economy or paying mileage anyway.
Good for you. This is pretty standard travel policy across the board for most of the TO-based (private sector) corporations. In my current company, the policy is to reimburse all travel on VIA business class for all employee travel, and Acela first class when traveling in the Northeast corridor (we even mandate that employees must book business or first when traveling by rail). It's just so much cheaper in that there's less price variations with Amtrak and Acela esp for last min bookings.

Canada is *probably* getting a new intercity rail line, but it’s not exactly high speed rail. We talk about how we got here, and why we aren’t overjoyed in our latest video:

This is some poor analysis that substantially ignores political reality. HSR has now been discussed in some form for nearly a half century. Nobody can find a way to finance that much. So how much longer do folks want to wait before we get shovels in the ground?

It'll be way easier to lobby for improvements to HFR than lobbying for new HSR.

Back