News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 901     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 355     0 

VIA Rail

I cannot speak to the Fredericton ROW specifically, but I have found in Ontario the about 95% of any abandoned railway ROW is still intact. However that missing 5% that has been turned into housing, roads or otherwise blocked the continuous line, will make relaying the railway extremely difficult.

Intact possibly, but where do the ownerships lie? That factor could further complicate any proposed reclamation. Rural stretches may be easier to reclaim but, as you say, even in small towns, a lot has been re-developed. I can imagine the howls of protest if a popular trail is proposed for reclaimed transportation.

Was at the bar last night and saw a cool VIA consist at around 22:52 leave Oakville. It was an all-LRC consist with a dome park car at the end. Wish I could have taken a picture but it zoomed by. Rare mileage with cool lashup.

Was at the bar last night and saw a cool VIA consist at around 22:52 leave Oakville. It was an all-LRC consist with a dome park car at the end. Wish I could have taken a picture but it zoomed by. Rare mileage with cool lashup.
IIRC this arrangement is usually to move a dome between TMC and Montreal for Ocean, and thus running out-of-service.

IIRC this arrangement is usually to move a dome between TMC and Montreal for Ocean, and thus running out-of-service.

Likely the late evening train that runs theough to Aldershot before returning to the TMC. It’s often used to deadhead equipment from Montreal to Toronto. There was in fact a Park Car sitting at the TMC this morning.

- Paul

Whenever I ride through the VIA/GO yard west of Mimico I always like to see the VIA Park cars and other long distance stainless steel cars. I hope whenever they get around to replacing them that they buy something that celebrates the heritage look.

Whenever I ride through the VIA/GO yard west of Mimico I always like to see the VIA Park cars and other long distance stainless steel cars. I hope whenever they get around to replacing them that they buy something that celebrates the heritage look.
Include me out. I like design which celebrates its own time and sensibilities rather than building anachronisms.

Include me out. I like design which celebrates its own time and sensibilities rather than building anachronisms.

We can debate aesthetics til the cows come home, and everyone will have their own tastes. What matters more to me is functionality and ability to sell tickets and generate revenue. VIA is a business, not arts school design class or heritage preservation panel.

The Budd dome car design gives the best all-around rider experience, IMHO. But a Superliner/Viewliner double bedroom beats anything VIA has in its fleet for comfort and amenities (okay, Prestige is better - but at a huge price increment). The Colorado Car bilevel design that RMTR and others use is a far nicer coach, with superb visibility, than Budd stock. Maybe not so good for overnight runs because there is little or no stowability at the seat. But that could be fixed, I bet.

Best ever rider experience? The Alaska Railroad variant of the Colorado car, with its huge upper-level outdoor observation porch. Maybe not the thing for January in the Rockies, but a nice ride otherwise. The Alaska food service/lounge cars - which are rebuilt from old US galley commuter stock - are also pretty pleasant.

Just don't ask me to ride in a Superliner lounge car. Worthless. I need to see forwards, or out the rear. The Budd dome can't be beat as an all-weather, sit back and enjoy the scenery experience.

- Paul

The Budd dome car design gives the best all-around rider experience, IMHO. But a Superliner/Viewliner double bedroom beats anything VIA has in its fleet for comfort and amenities (okay, Prestige is better - but at a huge price increment). The Colorado Car bilevel design that RMTR and others use is a far nicer coach, with superb visibility, than Budd stock. Maybe not so good for overnight runs because there is little or no stowability at the seat. But that could be fixed, I bet.

Best ever rider experience? The Alaska Railroad variant of the Colorado car, with its huge upper-level outdoor observation porch. Maybe not the thing for January in the Rockies, but a nice ride otherwise. The Alaska food service/lounge cars - which are rebuilt from old US galley commuter stock - are also pretty pleasant.

Just don't ask me to ride in a Superliner lounge car. Worthless. I need to see forwards, or out the rear. The Budd dome can't be beat as an all-weather, sit back and enjoy the scenery experience.

- Paul
Colorado are dead and gone but Stadler are building cars for Rocky so it will be interesting to see how they work out.

Our entire rail network, and certainly the idea of traveling across the country by rail is an ananchronism. If you want to get from Halifax to Vancouver celebrating your own time, fly.

Our entire rail network, and certainly the idea of traveling across the country by rail is an ananchronism.
As a means of transport to access business partners 4000 km away from home, certainly, but as a means of exploring this country in its geographic diversity, I politely disagree... :)

Our entire rail network, and certainly the idea of traveling across the country by rail is an ananchronism. If you want to get from Halifax to Vancouver celebrating your own time, fly.

As a means of transport to access business partners 4000 km away from home, certainly, but as a means of exploring this country in its geographic diversity, I politely disagree... :)

Along the Corridor, it is almost faster to take the train when you calculate the time to get through security.

Longer distances, train is slower, but sometimes it is not just about speed.

I agree with you. My comment above was in reply to the post suggesting a classic look for the cross country train sets was an anachronism .

Back