News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 896     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 355     0 

VIA Rail

The rant was about wifi and quick wins vs. megaprojects. "They" is clearly Via Rail.

The idea that Via Rail can privately fund a capital project of several billion dollars without a cent of government assistance and turn a profit on it is laughable. This a company that spends ~$2 for each dollar it earns and hasn't seen a significant ridership increase in the past half century.

The $2 for $1 thing is distorted by the corridor vs long distance differentiation. I won't defend the long distance situation, but one has to have two separate channels of discussion here.

In the corridor, the occupancy factor is pretty high. Trains sell out at current supply levels. The ridership plateau is because VIA's fleet is constrained. Add another coach to every train, the riders will appear. VIA is reporting modest ridership gains in the corridor, even so. Improve the timekeeping, ridership will improve further.

- Paul

The rant was about wifi and quick wins vs. megaprojects. "They" is clearly Via Rail.

The idea that Via Rail can privately fund a capital project of several billion dollars without a cent of government assistance and turn a profit on it is laughable. This a company that spends ~$2 for each dollar it earns and hasn't seen a significant ridership increase in the past half century.

"The idea that Via Rail can privately fund a capital project of several billion dollars without a cent of government assistance and turn a profit on it is laughable." VIA hasn't claimed that in the least. Where do you get that from? VIA's "looking" for government money, as their corporate structure deems necessary by Parliament, by funding through the Federal Budget for *Rolling Stock*! (Which is basically replacing the fleet at this point, and *may* be, under a separate funding allocation passed by Parliament (subsidiary in a Budget) for a new HFR if it doesn't already come equipped with RoS).

VIA Rail still doesn't exist as a full and proper Corporation. They exist at the whim of the Transport Min, (and ultimately Parliament) and whomever may be pulling his/her/their strings. (Imaginary or otherwise)

Library of Parliament Research Publications

Current Publications: Business, industry and trade
VIA Rail Canada Inc. and the Future of Passenger Rail in Canada
Jean Dupuis, Economics, Resources and International Affairs Division
31 August 2015

Background Paper No. 2015-55-E
pdficon_small.gif
PDF 478 kB, 17 pages

[...]

4.2 Federal funding
Given the federal government's directive to VIA Rail to provide passenger rail service to the general population, and VIA Rail's current operating cost structure, the corporation requires federal subsidies to fulfill its mandate. Figure 3 illustrates VIA Rail's annual capital and operational subsidies, in constant (2002) dollars.

Figure 3 – VIA Rail's Annual Subsidies, 1977–2014 (in constant 2002 dollars)

Source: VIA Rail Canada Inc., annual reports, 1977–2014; and Public Accounts of Canada, 1977–2014.

In its first years of operation, VIA Rail's annual subsidies rose continuously until 1983, when the federal government began reducing subsidies. Beginning in 1982, capital subsidies rose as VIA Rail disposed of some aging equipment and second-hand locomotives and replaced them with new, more technologically advanced rolling stock. By the mid- to late 1980s, total subsidies fluctuated between $700 million and $1 billion per year; then in 1989, the federal government again directed VIA Rail to restructure its operations to reduce subsidy requirements. Many uneconomical routes were altered or simply abandoned, resulting in a 45% drop in annual ridership (see Figure 2).

Federal funding declined continuously throughout the 1990s, at the same time that VIA Rail was restructuring and downsizing its operations. By the late 1990s, operational subsidies, which constituted the bulk of federal funding, fluctuated between $180 million and $200 million per year. After declining in the mid-2000s, total annual subsidies started climbing again in 2006. In 2010, they peaked at almost $445 million and then declined to about $318 million in 2014. (All figures are in constant 2002 dollars.)

Apart from a few isolated peaks in the 1980s, capital subsidies declined over 10 years, from the late 1980s until the late 1990s, when VIA Rail received no capital subsidies at all. Capital subsidies resumed their growth in 2000 and peaked in 2001 at almost $155 million in constant 2002 dollars, only to decline and then surge back in 2009. The increase in capital subsidies was attributable to federal government announcements made in 2007 and 2009 of new capital subsidies to help refurbish VIA Rail's rolling stock, upgrade fixed infrastructure and facilities such as stations and tracks, and improve passenger rail service. In 2014, capital subsidies stood at $65 million in constant (2002) dollars.
[...]
https://lop.parl.ca/Content/LOP/ResearchPublications/2015-55-e.html?cat=business

Last edited:
"The idea that Via Rail can privately fund a capital project of several billion dollars without a cent of government assistance and turn a profit on it is laughable." VIA hasn't claimed that in the least. Where do you get that from?
the Gov't most likely won't put a cent into this. It will be done *completely* privately, including the rolling stock[...]

You claimed it.

VIA's "looking" for government money, as their corporate structure deems necessary by Parliament, by funding through the Federal Budget for *Rolling Stock*! (Which is basically replacing the fleet at this point, and *may* be, under a separate funding allocation passed by Parliament (subsidiary in a Budget) for a new HFR if it doesn't already come equipped with RoS).

VIA Rail still doesn't exist as a full and proper Corporation. They exist at the whim of the Transport Min, (and ultimately Parliament) and whomever may be pulling his/her/their strings. (Imaginary or otherwise)

In other words it's government-funded and not a cash cow ripe for private takeover that Canadians will ruefully regret selling for heaps of foreign money.

In other words it's government-funded and not a cash cow ripe for private takeover that Canadians will ruefully regret selling for heaps of foreign money.
Perhaps you misunderstand the difference between "rolling stock" and "right of way"?

The "private" I was referring to was HFR, in whole or in part. In D-S' presentations, he's *always* insisted the RoW will be a private initiative. As I stated prior "in the event" it is likely that the Gov't (via VIA) will not put a cent into the infrastructure, and perhaps not even the rolling stock. A *private* company will, and as I stated prior, *lease it* to VIA.

As to "selling VIA"...phhhh...good luck on that. I certainly never even hinted at that in anything I or anyone else has written in this string.

Edit to Add: I'm still trying to figure out this bizarre misunderstanding. You do realize that "HFR" (High Frequency Rail) doesn't yet exist?

Add another coach to every train, the riders will appear.
Beside the locos "rusting" at Port Churchill, VIA made a point as to how they're missing the coaches in revenue service, to the point that other runs in that part of the nation were cut-back due to the lack of stock. They need every coach that can run at this point in time.

Last edited:
It may be a bit tangential, but here's another hint on the direction things are taking for 'China Inc' and the building of huge infrastructure projects in Canada like HFR.
Canadian construction company Aecon Group Inc said on Thursday it agreed to be bought by China's CCC International Holding Ltd in a deal with an enterprise value of $1.51-billion.

CCCI is the overseas investment and financing arm of engineering and construction company China Communications Construction Co Ltd.

CCCI will pay $20.37 per share in cash for each Aecon share, a premium of 42 per cent to Aecon's share price on Aug. 24, a day before the Canadian company said it had engaged two financial advisers to explore a potential sale.

The deal will help Aecon, which helped build Toronto's iconic CN Tower and the Vancouver Sky Train, get access to capital to take up more larger and complex projects in Canada, the company said.

CCCI has developed several large and medium-sized ports and navigation channels along China's coast and inland rivers and has actively participated in and competed for projects under external assistance and the international contracting projects. [...]
https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/re...inas-ccci-in-15-billion-deal/article36724602/

Let me be clear, I have absolutely nothing against the Chinese buying into Canada, they've been *invited to* by this and a number of preceding regimes, federal and provincial. We need inward investment, and Cdn firms (BBD especially) have been doing this in China for some decades now to the point of technology and know-how transfer.

The point is that if Canada and Cdn companies and pensions don't invest into wanting and prime Cdn projects, the Chinese will. And are...And HFR+ is definitely a prime project.

From CCCI's website:

Railway
Home>>Business>>Infrastructure Construction>>Railway
Shanghai–Hangzhou High-Speed Railway
Source:Time:2015-05-23
The Shanghai–Hangzhou High-Speed Railway is a high-speed rail line in China between Shanghai and Hangzhou. The line is 202 km in length and designed for commercial train service at 350 km/h (217 mph). It was built in 20 months and opened on October 26, 2010. The line shortened travel time between the two cities from 78 to 45 minutes.In October 2010, Chinese officials stated that a bullet train on the Huhang High-Speed Railway had set a new world record for train speed on a scheduled trip at 262 mph (422 km/h).

http://en.ccccltd.cn/business/infrastructureconstruction/railway/201505/t20150523_38474.html

Connect the dots....you don't have to speak or write Mandarin to understand the direction this is travelling in.

Although Wynne's HSR is driven by hot air, there's no coincidence to the thrust being created from doing so, and HFR+ and *effectively* Ontario's "HSR" tied into one continuous route make for a project ripe for the adventurous capitalist.

Last edited:
It will be done *completely* privately, including the rolling stock (from a vertically integrated corporation) and then leased to VIA. [...]The projected HFR RoW was and is to be private.

Perhaps you misunderstand the difference between "rolling stock" and "right of way"?

In your opinion, both will be privately done so I'm not sure why you would insultingly question my ability to distinguish between the two.

The "private" I was referring to was HFR, in whole or in part. In D-S' presentations, he's *always* insisted the RoW will be a private initiative. As I stated prior "in the event" it is likely that the Gov't (via VIA) will not put a cent into the infrastructure, and perhaps not even the rolling stock. A *private* company will, and as I stated prior, *lease it* to VIA.

In order for a private company to invest in and lease HFR, it has to generate a profit. Given the current economics of Via Rail, and the fact that their HFR proposal is only projected (rosily) to bring them to operating without government subsidy in 10 years, I don't see how a private company could justify billions in investment for such meagre returns. Private partnerships in Canada are a method of infrastructure delivery or are a complicated way of keeping debt off of government books in hidden obligations. It's time to stop pretending that billions of dollars in infrastructure will materialize to public benefit if only we would unleash hedge funds to rain down their investment dollars.

The last time Ontario tried to go this route was UPX: a project an order of magnitude less expensive, which went from the country's largest airport to the country's financial hub, and even that wasn't profitable enough for private ownership.

As to "selling VIA"...phhhh...good luck on that. I certainly never even hinted at that in anything I or anyone else has written in this string.

Okay, not Via itself but whatever phantom corporation you're proposing that does VIA's work for them for HFR and otherwise operates seamlessly as part of Via. The difference being that Via has assets and $150 million in annual government subsidy whereas this new corporation starts off $6 billion in debt.

In your opinion, both will be privately done so I'm not sure why you would insultingly question my ability to distinguish between the two
Because you made the snide comment (gist) "VIA had best fix their WiFi before asking for money for another project".

In order for a private company to invest in and lease HFR, it has to generate a profit.
lol...I see. So companies, especially vertically integrated or associated ones don't produce the infrastructure at their own cost and then profit from the return of usage after? You've just "insulted" the cause d'etre of many Pension Fund investments, let alone many corporations.

I don't see how a private company could justify billions in investment for such meagre returns.
Obviously you don't. That's your shortcoming, not theirs. They don't term it "venture capitalism" if there's no 'venture' to it.

It's time to stop pretending that billions of dollars in infrastructure will materialize to public benefit if only we would unleash hedge funds to rain down their investment dollars.
It's exactly that lack of Cdn hedge fund investment that I've been describing.

Okay, not Via itself but whatever phantom corporation you're proposing that does VIA's work for them for HFR and otherwise operates seamlessly as part of Via.
Perhaps you also don't understand the definition of "Lease"? And even that is a supposition that VIA would lease. There's the distinct possibility of a vertically integrated company (construction, and acquisition of RoW, building the rolling stock, and *providing the service*) is all done within the company. As stated many times in this string, which you haven't been following (your links have been discussed at length here prior, especially Yakabuski's Globe piece) I see VIA as by necessity spinning off a separate division to service *major corridors*, and they can do so at a profit. If you'd read D-S' many times discussed dialog in this string, you'd understand that.

The difference being that Via has assets and $150 million in annual government subsidy whereas this new corporation starts off $6 billion in debt.
"Debt"? Many large corporations are *rich in cash*! CRRC, IIIC and others are just a few. The only reason they'd involve other investors/lenders is to spread the risk in such a way as to not stifle investment in other concerns and projects.

That's exactly the point! They *don't need* the Infrastructure Bank, VIA, or the grace and funding of Parliament. They merely need a licence from the CTA.

And as a footnote to get beyond this bickering over "wifi"....Morneau's present 'challenges' casts a bit of a pall over the Infrastructure Bank.

I spent a lot of effort and trust into thinking it's the way forward, but as to those "Candian Pension Funds"...you can lead a horse to water, you can't make them frolic in it.

And unfortunately, the Infrastructure Bank is looking unlikely as a catalyst to *Gov't controlled investment*. The big boys will pay for it all, and take it all. And rightly so since Cdns themselves seem so incredibly unable to see the opportunity to invest.

Cdn railways always were foreign financed. The tradition will continue...as it will with Cdn rolling stock and aircraft.

BBD anyone?

Edit to Add on the Infrastructure Bank:

Paul Wells: The Liberals’ big initiatives have proved exhausting. It’s no wonder they’re finally turning to the simple payoffs.

Paul Wells (Macleans)
October 25, 2017

[...]Contrast that with… most of everything else this government has done. The big announcements in Morneau’s fall update from a year ago—the Canada Infrastructure Bank and the Invest in Canada Hub—still aren’t up and running. Both are still hiring directors for their oversight bodies. Meanwhile, the country forgot to thank the Liberals for either of these novel ideas. I think the Infrastructure Bank is a really exhilarating long shot, but researchers and the Senate and the opposition have done nothing but kvetch, while the project’s fans have been more reticent. [...]
http://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/welcome-to-your-post-process-years-justin-trudeau/

The Canada Infrastructure Bank lacks transparency a new report declares
0 165 Government

by Russell Hixson Oct 16, 2017

A new report by the Columbia Institute is criticizing the Canada Infrastructure Bank (CIB) for its plans to use private partners and limit access to information. [...]
http://dailycommercialnews.com/en-U...-transparency-a-new-report-declares-1028045W/

And this news source' leading headline?

Chinese company CCCC International Holding Ltd. inks deal to buy Aecon Group
0 77 Economic

by The Canadian Press Oct 26, 2017

TORONTO — Aecon Group Inc. has signed a deal to be acquired by CCCC International Holding Ltd. in a deal that values the construction company $1.5 billion.
The Chinese company has agreed to pay $20.37 per share in cash for Aecon, which announced in August that it was exploring the possible sale of the company.

Aecon shares closed at $16.52 on the Toronto Stock Exchange on Oct. 26.

CCCI is the overseas investment and financing arm of China Communications Construction Company Ltd., one of the world's largest engineering and construction groups.

The companies say Aecon will continue to be headquartered in Canada while CCCI's size and financial strength will help it bid for larger and more complex projects.

The offer requires the approval of two-thirds of the votes cast at a special meeting of Aecon shareholders as well as government and regulatory approvals under the Investment Canada Act, the Canadian Competition Act and authorities in China.
http://dailycommercialnews.com/en-U...ng-Ltd-inks-deal-to-buy-Aecon-Group-1028429W/

As to the Infrastructure Bank and 'privacy' concerns, there's actually two sides to the story. Bill Curry has written many excellent articles in the Globe on that.

Make that three sides to the story: Big Investment does it directly. A complete end-run around the Infrastructure Bank. To score a goal to win the game.

Note: "CCCI is the overseas investment and financing arm of China Communications Construction Company Ltd., one of the world's largest engineering and construction groups."

Last edited:
People keep talking private funding. But just a reminder. To date, VIA has just $3 million for a study covering several hundred kms. The Collenette report properly achieved more. The whole case for private funding is based on the infrastructure bank providing credit, grants or low cost financing too. There's probably not much of a business case or way too much risk for any private sector investor without the CIB being involved. And the CIB has not been launched yet.

That's at a minimum.

Personally, I don't see the government allowing any consortium to build this without at least building the trainsets in Canada too. And that will create issues for potential bidders like the Chinese or Japanese who love to use their tech. But then again, BBD has a great partnership with the Chinese. So who knows how that will all shake out.

But yeah, nothing is happening before CIB. And they still need tens of millions for design studies, environmental assessments, etc. This is why I am so disappointed in the Trudeau government. You would think they would have funded the legwork in anticipation of the bank coming into being and kicking off the project. Instead, they chased the Montreal LRT just because it was on the verge of construction and could let them claim credit easily. I don't see this government accomplishing much on this file in this term. And probably not in its next term. And for someone who loves VIA, that's sad.

The onboard wifi on VIA is garbage.
May I ask you if you ever tried browsing and calling with your cell plan instead of the complimentary WiFi, for comparison purposes? I'm asking because I travel Montreal-Toronto and back maybe twice per month and I noticed that the mobile phone reception can get very spotty, especially between Brockville and Kingston. If you use your phone as a mobile hotspot (tethering) to share your cell phone data plan with other devices, you might yourself significantly limited by the availability, speed and signal strength of your cell phone network operator, especially if multiple devices are connected and/or use band-width intensive applications like streaming. Maybe the train faces the same constraints, but with even more users connected...

Just out of interest, is anyone aware of an intercity railway or airline anywhere in the world which offers complimentary WiFi and sufficient bandwidth for streaming to every passenger?

The $2 for $1 thing is distorted by the corridor vs long distance differentiation. I won't defend the long distance situation, but one has to have two separate channels of discussion here.

In the corridor, the occupancy factor is pretty high. Trains sell out at current supply levels. The ridership plateau is because VIA's fleet is constrained. Add another coach to every train, the riders will appear. VIA is reporting modest ridership gains in the corridor, even so. [...]
I unfortunately can't comment on this, but just for illustration purposes:
upload_2017-10-26_21-47-33.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-26_21-47-33.png
    upload_2017-10-26_21-47-33.png
    42.6 KB · Views: 499
Last edited:
I unfortunately can't comment on this, but just for illustration purposes:
View attachment 125305

Indeed, on all points, but here's the takeaway for the chart you posted:
"Corridor Services". And that's the nub of D-S' extensive and detailed business case for HFR.

The whole case for private funding is based on the infrastructure bank providing credit, grants or low cost financing too.
D-S has actually not mentioned the Infrastructure Bank once. "Pension Plans"? Absolutely. The press has made the connection to the Infrastructure Bank, not D-S. Both the CRRC (who have already bought into Canada, mentioned many times in this string) have *Trillions $* of available capital for investment. They don't have to borrow. Even though owned by the Chinese Gov't, they are run now at arm's length. CCCCL? Even more cash on hand for investment, *aimed at foreign investment*. One of the largest construction corporations in the world, if not the largest.

Problems? The Globe is starting their examination of that already since I last posted. Fraud, and the World Bank is looking to bar them from bidding on contracts...just like BBD. https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/ne...36142752/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

There's probably not much of a business case or way too much risk for any private sector investor without the CIB being involved. And the CIB has not been launched yet.
Phhhh....CRRC are already deeply invested in the US, buying out railway rolling stock companies, and getting contracts. Trump that...

Personally, I don't see the government allowing any consortium to build this without at least building the trainsets in Canada too.
And on what possible basis do you claim that? Are there pending federal reviews? Apparently, still being discussed. (Psssst: They've both (CRRC and CCCCL) got money, deep, deep pockets, and looking to invest. They've already bid on BBD's rail division, BBD turned them down. They'll probably now get it cheaper. The rail division is up for grabs. Perhaps only Cdns can bid on that? How would that work?

And that will create issues for potential bidders like the Chinese or Japanese who love to use their tech.
They're already here. Perhaps you missed the memo?
Liberals waive security review for Chinese takeover of high-tech firm

[...]The government's handling of this takeover – after Britain imposed strict conditions on a similar Hytera acquisition – and several other recent approvals of Chinese investment in sensitive sectors suggest the Trudeau Liberals are less risk-averse than their predecessors to capital from China as they prepare for bilateral free-trade talks with the world's second-biggest economy.[...]
https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/ne...35246673/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

But then again, BBD has a great partnership with the Chinese.
Yeah, they sold all sorts of equipment into China. Funny how that works. Now you want to ban the Chinese from doing same here? Trump really gets around, don't he?

VIA put out an RFQ for new trainsets. Guess how many possible offers could have all been "built in Canada"? The BBD locos alone are built in Germany. There's no Cdn content. Maybe the decals...

I grow weary of posting reference that's habitually ignored:
Bombardier faces increased threats to trains, planes | Toronto Star
https://www.thestar.com/.../bombardier-faces-increased-threats-to-trains-planes.html
Sep 25, 2017 - The Canadian manufacturer risks being jilted by Germany's ... Trudeau threatens to not buy Boeing fighter jets to protest firm's ... If geopolitics come into play, you really don't have anybody in your corner.” The rail companies are looking to join forces to compete with industry leader CRRC Corp. of China, ...
CRRC to build North American wagon plant in Canada - Railway ...
www.railwaygazette.com/.../crrc-to-build-north-american-wagon-plant-in-canada.htm...
May 5, 2017 - CANADA: Chinese rolling stock manufacturing group CRRC announced ... CRRC plans to open a wagon factory at Moncton in New Brunswick. ... April 2016 · 06 Jul 2015 - Chinese manufacturer invests in US wagon venture.
China's CRRC lands $1.3 billion Chicago rail car project - Reuters
https://www.reuters.com/...crrc.../chinas-crrc-lands-1-3-billion-chicago-rail-car-projec...
Mar 10, 2016 - China's CRRC Corp said it has won its second major contract in the United States after the Chicago transport authority accepted its $1.3 billion ...

From the first link above:
[...]
Getting left at the altar “is a new risk” for Montreal-based Bombardier, said David Tyerman, an analyst at Cormark Securities in Toronto. “Bombardier is going to be the guy without a dance partner. If geopolitics come into play, you really don’t have anybody in your corner.”

The rail companies are looking to join forces to compete with industry leader CRRC Corp. of China, which was formed from a 2015 merger of the country’s two main regional train makers. The company controls about half the global market for rail cars and locomotives, Desjardins Capital Markets estimated in a report this year, compared with 12 per cent each for Bombardier and Siemens and about 11 per cent for Alstom.

Aided by its ability to finance entire projects, CRRC has won high-profile rail orders, including transit contracts, in U.S. cities such as Boston, Philadelphia and Los Angeles. Bombardier missed out on a $3.2-billion (U.S.) contract to provide subway cars in New York and has been plagued by delays on major projects such as streetcar deliveries to Toronto and subway cars for Montreal.

The train business bore the brunt of Bellemare’s plan, announced last October, which included 7,500 job cuts worldwide.[...]

(CRRC) "Aided by its ability to finance entire projects"...when does the message get through? CCCCL has even deeper pockets and a massive pool of cash to invest abroad.
[...]
China Communications Construction Co. Ltd., which on Tuesday announced a $1.45-billion deal to acquire Aecon Group Inc., the builder behind landmark Canadian infrastructure such as the CN Tower, is the latest example of China's deepening interest in the Canadian economy.

The Beijing-based buyer is more than 63-per-cent owned by the Chinese government, a degree of ownership that stokes concern that such a deal could allow President Xi Jinping to advance his country's national interest in a critical area of the Canadian economy. [...]
https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/ne...-in-disputed-south-china-sea/article36725492/

You're going to be hearing a *lot more* on this in the next while.

Last edited:
May I ask you if you ever tried browsing and calling with your cell plan instead of the complimentary WiFi, for comparison purposes? I'm asking because I travel Montreal-Toronto and back maybe twice per month and I noticed that the mobile phone reception can get very spotty, especially between Brockville and Kingston.

To be fair. People expect more from VIA. And antennas on a train should definitely be able to deliver more. Any idea who VIA uses to provide services?

Maybe this should get one with who airlines are using:

https://www.gogoair.com/commercial/2ku

To be fair. People expect more from VIA.
Agreed, but assuming that nobody here seems able to name a railway anywhere in the world which provides a reliable internet connection stable enough for video streaming to all its customers free of charge, is it really reasonable to expect VIA Rail to be the first railway to do that - even if it was one of the first railways in the world to provide on-board WiFi when the service started in 2003 (see quote below)?
Bob Brewin (Computerworld) said:
Pilsworth said that as far as he knows, VIA Rail is the only passenger train operator in the world that offers real time, high-speed wireless data service.

And antennas on a train should definitely be able to deliver more.
This 2014 article in the International Railway Journal provides an excellent overview over the struggles of the global intercity passenger rail industry to cope with their customers' demand for WiFi:
Kevin Smith (International Railway Journal) said:
[...]
Onboard Wi-Fi first began to emerge in 2003, and was initially a great success, offering a service that met the demands of early devices using the technology. However, in 2007 the iPhone arrived and the market for data changed forever.
[...]
In Britain 32% of the railway network does not have access to a 3G signal, and with railway operators relying on masts owned by third-party telecoms providers to support their Wi-Fi service, it is inevitable that in certain "black spots" not covered by these masts that the service fails. Even when it does work the system is overwhelmed by more and more passengers attempting to connect which results in poor latency and inconsistent download speeds.
[...]
Via Rail Canada has employed an alternative approach to reducing usage. Preloaded video on-demand services are now available through the train's Wi-Fi portal which do not take up precious bandwidth but still allow passengers to access free high-quality content through their devices.

Mr Francois Blouin, Via Rail's director of emerging technology, says that following the adoption of a 4G LTE network in 2013, attention was shifted to prolonging its expected 19 month - two year service life. He says the early signs are encouraging: there has been a 20% fall in consumption of data since the on-demand service was launched in August 2013 and a 23% increase in average viewing times over the last four months, which could improve further as more content becomes available.

German Rail's (DB) paid model has also had the desired effect of limiting traffic enabling it to offer a high-quality service on over 200 of its ICE trains. DB is also in the advantageous position of having a close relationship with a telecoms vendor. Deutsche Telecom, or T-Mobile, has optimised its network to provide a basis for onboard Wi-Fi and is supporting DB with its 4G LTE upgrade which is expected to come online in 2016. The telecom provider says it is in its commercial interest to do this because it considers DB as a very lucrative customer.

Unfortunately the DB example appears to be the exception to the norm. In a climate of flatlining revenues and falling profits, mobile network operators (MNO) are investing in new infrastructure to keep up with the demands of new technologies and may not always consider serving railways as a priority.
[...]

Any idea who VIA uses to provide services?

Maybe this should get one with who airlines are using:

https://www.gogoair.com/commercial/2ku
According to this 2006 article, VIA Rail relies on a mixture of cell phone networks (with explicit mention of Bell) and satellite services:
Poonam Khanna (ITBusiness.ca) said:
[...]
“The system constantly searches for the best connection relative to the environment we’re in,” he said.

The system switches from cellular to satellite, though for the most part it uses satellite to download info and cellular to upload it, Dunbar said.

VIA will expand the service once the infrastructure is in place, Dunbar said. It will begin offering media services, such as movies, TV programs, games and music that users can download to their devices. Pricing models for the media offerings still have to be determined, Del Bosco said.

The system uses Bell Canada for all cellular communications and Just-Tech for satellite services. Opti-Fi provides Wi-Fi access service and PanAmSat for satellite transmission capability. PointShot Wireless provided on-train communications hardware and connectivity management and mmwave, which provides wireless microwave and fibre optic networks, components and test systems also participated in the project.Customers experiencing technical difficulties can all a 1-800 number for assistance. The call centre is run by CorporaTel.
However, despite my limited knowledge about communications technology, I would expect that satellite technology is better adapted to air travel, given the absence of trees, bridges or tunnels as potential obstructions...

Hmmmm. When I rode Virgin in the UK a while back, the wifi was pretty good. But on recent rides on VIA, it has been pretty good also. I'm not one for watching movies while riding on a train, but the wifi was good enough to do email, check social media, read news online, etc. Seemed reasonable enough to me.

I did have a humourous experience recently (that mostly proves how old I have become). I rode from Ottawa to Toronto on the Friday of a long weekend. Pulled into Kingston, most of my coach emptied. I looked out and realised that most of the boarding customers were college students coming home for the holiday. Oh crap, I thought, remembering my own college days....it's gonna be a party car all the way to Union. Quite the opposite, it turned out.... everyone sat down, pulled out a laptop or tablet, donned headphones, and sat glued to their screens. Some were clearly conversing with others in the same coach, or between cars, over social media or messenger. Only one or two riders actually got up and walked down the car to speak to friends....and when they did it was to discuss something they had just shared electronically.. A different world than the CN style bar cars back before LRC! Anyways, it's my current anecdote about how fixated we have become on our phones.

- Paul

However, despite my limited knowledge about communications technology, I would expect that satellite technology is better adapted to air travel, given the absence of trees, bridges or tunnels as potential obstructions...
The best train systems connects automatically and simultaneously to all LTE networks (up to four or so)

Rogers, Bell/Telus, simultaneously, and transmits over all of them for better redundancy and speed.

If reception on one LTE link drops, it all keeps chugging, of there is at least one other LTE/3G connection.

A special VPN is used to keep the IP address static so it appears as one big Internet pipe to the coaches.

I imagine VIA may have upgraded to a similar systems already since usability of VIA WiFi improved dramatically a few years after 2006, unless this was a different system. Satellite, though, will still be needed for the Canadian transcontinential train, since about one quarter to one third of the route has no reception.

Last edited:
The best train systems connects automatically and simultaneously to all LTE networks (up to four or so)

Rogers, Bell/Telus, simultaneously, and transmits over all of them for better redundancy and speed.

If reception on one LTE link drops, it all keeps chugging, of there is at least one other LTE/3G connection.

A special VPN is used to keep the IP address static so it appears as one big Internet pipe to the coaches.

I imagine VIA may have upgraded to a similar systems already since usability of VIA WiFi improved dramatically a few years after 2006, unless this was a different system. Satellite, though, will still be needed for the Canadian transcontinential train, since about one quarter to one third of the route has no reception.

The problem on these wifi systems always seems to be provisioning. You get one guy trying to watch Game Of Thones in HD on netflix and the whole network takes a shit.

They need better QoS and WISH provisioning.

Back