News   Apr 19, 2024
 117     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 549     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Vaughan Centre Bus Terminal

That seems like a really long walk between the bus terminal and the VIVA stops.

Roughly the length of a subway platform no? Since the VIVA station will be at the South end of the subway platform and the YRT terminal will be at the North end of the platform. I can think of a number of stations where getting on the wrong end of a subway train leaves you with a whole platform length, or near full platform length, to get to an exit, connection, or whatever which happens to be at on end of the station. Or at least requires some walking a planning before boarding. For example, Finch Station from the regional bus terminal to the station, Bloor-Yonge to make the connection the the Bloor line, Spadina to make the connection to Bloor, Kipling to the parking and kiss and ride, Yorkdale to the exits come to mind for me.

Also I don't think there will be many YRT to VIVA connections, or at least YRT doesn't plan there to be many at this station. I'm sure they expect the majority of the transfers to be YRT/VIVA to subway. I think there will be connections to VIVA nearby anyway.

Walks like that aren't unheard of, especially on GO. People quickly learn to board the train car at your station that correlates to the most convienent exit at union station. For me it happens. To me it is the York Teamway, so I board at the very first southbound train to ensure I get to that portion of the platform when arriving at union.

You can sort of get an idea from this...

931_61_img_02.jpg

VMC-Site2.jpg
And all these buildings, are they all proposed condos or proposed commercial buildings?

"SmartCentres Bus Terminal" was not the best name but "SmartREIT Bus Terminal" is pretty terrible. Yeesh.

Honestly...if Smart Centres are putting up capital to build the station I have absolutely no issues with transit agencies selling out to improve their bottom lines...even at the cost of a station name.

On the flipside I'm still impressed by the fact that the project chose to use a sensible surface station for viva with a direct connection to the subway (as opposed to requiring a convoluted underground portal, etc). I'm interested in seeing how it performs after a year or two.

Last edited:
Walks like that aren't unheard of, especially on GO. People quickly learn to board the train car at your station that correlates to the most convienent exit at union station. For me it happens. To me it is the York Teamway, so I board at the very first southbound train to ensure I get to that portion of the platform when arriving at union.
I think the piss off is that VMC will undergo a radical transformation, and no one bothered to allocate space for the terminal closer to Highway 7. Anyone transferring between YRT and viva is going to have a walk, which isn't a bad thing in itself, but it is if you miss your transfer to YRT or have to run to catch it.

I think the piss off is that VMC will undergo a radical transformation, and no one bothered to allocate space for the terminal closer to Highway 7. Anyone transferring between YRT and viva is going to have a walk, which isn't a bad thing in itself, but it is if you miss your transfer to YRT or have to run to catch it.

Part of the piss off in missing a transfer is that the next bus is often 40 to 45 mins away. So this is often a function of route timing rather than walking distance. Furthermore I don't think there will be many YRT to VIVA transfers here anyway.

Part of the piss off in missing a transfer is that the next bus is often 40 to 45 mins away. So this is often a function of route timing rather than walking distance. Furthermore I don't think there will be many YRT to VIVA transfers here anyway.

YRT's route structure is planned to change, and there might be many transfers at Vaughan Centre, at least for trips between Highway 7 services and Jane Street buses. Will VIVA Silver stop in the Highway 7 Transitway, or at the DumbREIT Terminal? This map and report suggests that it will serve the DumbTerminal

http://www.yorkregiontransit.com/en...-2015-ASP-Spadina_Subway_Transit_Strategy.pdf

With YRT's awful route frequencies, I could see missed connections, or having to plan long layovers, especially for passengers intending to transfer from VIVA Orange to say, Route 10, 20, or 26 (or VIVA Silver, if the service levels are poor).

Last edited:
YRT's route structure is planned to change, and there might be many transfers at Vaughan Centre, at least for trips between Highway 7 services and Jane Street buses. Will VIVA Silver stop in the Highway 7 Transitway, or at the DumbREIT Terminal? This map and report suggests that it will serve the DumbTerminal

http://www.yorkregiontransit.com/en...-2015-ASP-Spadina_Subway_Transit_Strategy.pdf

With YRT's awful route frequencies, I could see missed connections, or having to plan long layovers, especially for passengers intending to transfer from VIVA Orange to say, Route 10, 20, or 26 (or VIVA Silver, if the service levels are poor).

1. Why is Zum 501A making a big loop around Keele-Steeles-Jane instead of terminating at 407 station?

2. I thought York University wanted of kick out all of the buses from their campus, so why are routes 20, 22A, 75, and 101 still looping around it?

Screen shot 2015-12-02 at 1.39.33 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-12-02 at 1.39.33 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-12-02 at 1.39.33 PM.png
    489.4 KB · Views: 2,458

Back