News   Mar 28, 2024
 170     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Urban Wilderness!

Some views of the East Don River from the 401 southward toward Duncan Mills Road, from about seven or eight years ago.

892a758c.jpg

f13e0604.jpg

2f04483f.jpg

c3b42e55.jpg

bb34bc89.jpg

cf1f77d4.jpg

This used to be the bridge that carried Bayview Avenue (if it was even called that yet) over the West Don River. I'm not sure when it was built but I have photo of it from the turn of the last century, so by now it's well over a century old. It's within sight of the current Bayview Ave. bridge at Lawrence Avenue. In fact, in winter, you can look down from the east side and see it. I'm glad they've left it. The city archives has a number of shots of this bridge from the early 60s when the Bayview Avenue bridge beside it was being widened.

85d9d205.jpg

99364868.jpg

33a525df.jpg

c059df8d.jpg

888eab29.jpg

b675bbac.jpg

356cec4e.jpg

e4fdb8bb.jpg

921cb903.jpg

Last edited:
This is Lion's Gate Park at the meeting of Sixteen Mile Creek and Dundas Street (Hwy 5). These shots were taken in 2007 before the bridge in the view was taken down and replaced.

bcd725bd.jpg

50df04de.jpg

9f4d5b90.jpg

b68b8414.jpg

8766b002.jpg

e6c57f62.jpg

05b099ad.jpg

7d597f57.jpg

783ed397.jpg

d1be88d6.jpg

This used to be the bridge that carried Bayview Avenue (if it was even called that yet) over the West Don River. I'm not sure when it was built but I have photo of it from the turn of the last century, so by now it's well over a century old. It's within site of the current Bayview Ave. bridge at Lawrence Avenue. In fact, in winter, you can look down from the east side and see it. I'm glad they've left it. The city archives has a number of shots of this bridge from the early 60s when the Bayview Avenue bridge beside it was being widened.

85d9d205.jpg

99364868.jpg

33a525df.jpg

c059df8d.jpg

888eab29.jpg

b675bbac.jpg

356cec4e.jpg

e4fdb8bb.jpg

921cb903.jpg

A plaque and a cleanup/high pressure wash would suit this structure so much. A shame it is derelict.

A plaque and a cleanup/high pressure wash would suit this structure so much. A shame it is derelict.

It is a charming little thing. I have a photo of it from around the turn of the last century in a book about North York I own. I'm surprised they didn't remove it in the early 1960s. I think it was of some use even at the time; maps I have hint that it still led to some access on the north side of the river at least as late as the 50s, and it was used by the construction workers widening the current Bayview Avenue bridge in the 60s, which is also when I believe they put up the retaining steelwork you see on the northwest side. Seems odd that they'd do something to help the bridge survive, but then completely abandon it to the elements.

But, it's still there. It's a bit of a chore to get to; they keep rebuilding the fence at the end of Lawrence. But if you're willing to wade upstream a bit, the Don's accessible from the parking lot. You can also climb down the hill from the south side if you park up at the university.

Where exactly is this bridge located? On the east side of Bayview, by The Cheddington?

Yeah, it's right here.

Here's how it looks, viewed from the current bridge. This view looks basically east, more or less along Lawrence Avenue to where it ends at the original road allowance of Bayview Avenue. That's the old bridge there hugging the river.

LawrenceAvenueEastandtheoldBayviewAvenuebridge.jpg

What I'm burning to know is if there was ever a direct route back up the north side. I strongly believe there was, but I can't say for sure, or whether it was straight as an arrow up the other side, or wandered along to the west around the land form to get back up to the top. That I would love to know.

Last edited:
It is a charming little thing.

At least you knew of it, and took us on this virtual tour, so that we may see and think of it and perhaps make a pilgrimage.

Nice infrared treatment too.

Abandoned roads and bridges tug at my emotions - in this state they evoke emotions of permanence, and conflictingly, fleetingness.

Yeah, it's right here.

Here's how it looks, viewed from the current bridge. This view looks basically east, more or less along Lawrence Avenue to where it ends at the original road allowance of Bayview Avenue. That's the old bridge there hugging the river.

LawrenceAvenueEastandtheoldBayviewAvenuebridge.jpg

What I'm burning to know is if there was ever a direct route back up the north side. I strongly believe there was, but I can't say for sure, or whether it was straight as an arrow up the other side, or wandered along to the west around the land form to get back up to the top. That I would love to know.

I don't know if these help Lone from the Toronto Archives , have a look.

Capture 3 by TORONTO TONTO, on Flickr

Capture 2 by TORONTO TONTO, on Flickr

Capture by TORONTO TONTO, on Flickr

Yeah, it's right here.

Thanks. I've been to the bottom of Lawrence Ave East, several times to smoke some doobies and had no idea how close the bridge was.

Does this help? - 1931 Topographic map - Bayview & Lawrence at the top. I would say the answer is b) wandered along to the west around the land form to get back up to the top

When was the 'new' bridge built? - this map seems to show both the route over and the route through the valley.

Note that further south Bayview also took a less direct route over Burke Brook.

BayviewLawrence.jpg

Here's the 'new' Bayview bridge before it was widened in the 60s.
f0217_s0249_fl0011_it0004.jpg

The city archives has some great shots of, and even from, the old bridge during the widening of the new one. These photos date from December, 1960, or thereabouts.

I like this first one... you can see that workmen actually parked their cars on the old bridge.

d39840bc.jpg

b3a477ff.jpg

43c769cc.jpg

3d202b3a.jpg

96fa5c55.jpg

a0ca4e95.jpg

6a7faf5c.jpg

3e417e7c.jpg

9c071d91.jpg

8e834e63.jpg

80c87173.jpg

There is also the old Eastern Avenue bridge over the lower Don that was blocked off when the DVP was built and the Easatern Avenue Diversion bridge built. It is accessible from the Don River cycle path but blocked off on the east side at the DVP (of course.) It's immediately south of the Enbridge gas pipe bridge. When the TRCA were doing the Don River studies a few years ago they discussed removing it but decided it was not doing any harm and it would cost $$ to do so and it remains - and looks as though it will survice another few decades.

Back