News   Jun 26, 2024
 65     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Unique Houses in Toronto

Well, there aren't many vacant lots available in the old city to build new houses on. But gutting and renovating existing homes usually involves adapting them to how people live by introducing less formal living spaces. Separate dining rooms and parlours, small windows, narrow hallways, enclosed stairways and all the other features of the pre-Modern age are replaced by bigger windows, skylights and more light, and less formal living spaces with flow between them. The condos being designed by our better firms are quite similar to these house renos - and the architects doing them adopt the same Modernist principles of clarity and adaptability.

What's interesting about that contemporary house at Avenue Road and Chaplin Crescent is that it's designed by fauxmeister Richard Wengle, according to the Kilbarry Hill website - so he can behave himself when he wants to.

I wasn't thinking of the oldest part of the city where condos, not houses are built, but all around the city small and large industrial and commericial lands are being replaced with faux-Victorians and Georgians and it the style is really dominating. (Not to mention at least 90.5 percent of the new suburbs ;) .) It's limiting the development of contemporary residential architecture. And trust me that many vacant lots become available every year.

Modern house on Islington Avenue

This one in Etobicoke

Attachments

• DSCN0239.jpg
    DSCN0239.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 514
  • DSCN0240.jpg
    DSCN0240.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 482
This little house has long been a favourite of mine.

In 1937, as 99½ Sydenham:

http://gencat4.eloquent-systems.com...source//ser372/ss0033/s0372_ss0033_it0143.jpg

...and in 2005, as 383 Shuter:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/spmarshall/Don Mount/RP8.jpg

(photo courtesy of spmarshall in the "Regent Park Phase 1" thread.)

The house made it into the 1934 Bruce report on housing conditions in Toronto, and yet is still standing. There was even a photo and floor plan provided, which have been reproduced on page 146 of Derek Hayes' "Historical Atlas of Toronto."

Modern House on Post Road and Park Ln Cirlce Intersection

This one in North York on Park Ln Cirlce. One of my favourites. Does anyone know who the architect is?

Attachments

• DSCN0241.jpg
    DSCN0241.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 555
  • DSCN0242.jpg
    DSCN0242.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 500
  • DSCN0243.jpg
    DSCN0243.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 476
  • DSCN0244.jpg
    DSCN0244.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 480
Last edited:
This little house has long been a favourite of mine.

In 1937, as 99½ Sydenham:

http://gencat4.eloquent-systems.com...source//ser372/ss0033/s0372_ss0033_it0143.jpg

...and in 2005, as 383 Shuter:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/spmarshall/Don Mount/RP8.jpg

(photo courtesy of spmarshall in the "Regent Park Phase 1" thread.)

The house made it into the 1934 Bruce report on housing conditions in Toronto, and yet is still standing. There was even a photo and floor plan provided, which have been reproduced on page 146 of Derek Hayes' "Historical Atlas of Toronto."

I bike by this every day. It's weird.

What is this Bruce report?

37Bertmount.jpg

It's found on Bertmount just north of Queen E.
It might not be architecturally unique, but it sure is unique. I wonder what the neighbours think? They alter some of the design depending on the season- especially for Halloween and Christmas.

This one is located next door to me. It was custom built and lived in by an architect supposedly. I'm guessing it was built in the late 60s or 70s.

Untitled3-1.jpg

This one sure is a beauty. Gotta love the stains on the stucco.

Overbank Crescent, North York

Untitled4.jpg

This one is located at the top of Cassandra Blvd. and Underhill Dr. The owner has a really cool, stone pond in his backyard, filled with large gold fish.

Untitled6.jpg

Back