News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Union Station: Front Street EA

Automation Gallery

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Plan would create civic square in front of Union Station

Plans are in the works to give Toronto a new "front door" with a city vision that would see a section of Front Street turned into a grand civic square.

The European-style boulevard in front of Union Station would see traffic reduced to just two lanes with textured pavement. Lighting would be enhanced and sidewalks would be doubled in width. The current median would be replaced with a tree-lined island.

Pedestrians would be allowed to cross Front Street anywhere between Bay and York Streets.

The architect behind the plan says the changes are needed because Front Street acts like Toronto's ‘front door" and is currently lacking when it comes to pedestrian friendliness.

The plan still needs final approval from city council.

More....http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/832336--union-station-transit-gateway-makeover-unveiled

I was going to go look at this today. They did the presentation at Union Station between 3-7pm.

I'm looking forward to seeing all of the boards online whenever they get online.

National Post article here:
http://news.nationalpost.com/2010/07/06/14064/

I like the look (on it's own within the context of the area) and the expanded sidewalks (a lot) but this city is going to look like a dog's breakfast if we have a different street design for each block. We have what at least 6 different street projects (in construction or design) with just as many different styles. How will anyone know this is one city? What unifies the street design? Or did I miss something and Toronto is converting to a giant theme park?

That's a really, really old rendering - plus the EA is about the organization of the street, not design elements. That will come later.

AoD

What unifies the street design? Or did I miss something and Toronto is converting to a giant theme park?

Our disparate street designs will contiue to be unified by a zig-zag of inconsiderate utility cuts poorly stuffed with asphalt and off-angle electrical poles, don't you worry.

To be more serious, I don't think a universally applied streetscape language is appropriate in a city any more than a uniform architectural style. I think there may be a case to be made for a broadly consistent street language - which is what we will theoretically get in 90% of the city through the new street furniture program and 'standard' sidewalk refurbishment like what was done to College from Spadina to Little Italy five years ago - but I think iconic spaces call for distinct and idiosyncratic treatments that call them out as different. This what we are getting on Bloor, at Nathan Phillips Square, and now in front of Union Station. I think that all three of these places deserve something outside of the norm. Whether the actual design of these spaces is up to snuff is a different debate...

What I like about this is the unique pattern on the road. However, when they need to dig up the road for various reasons, and they patch it back up with asphalt, it will look horrible.

I LOVE the pixelated street design. I really hope that's how it ends up!

Thanks so much for posting those pdf's too! :)

EDIT:

From rA:
189.jpg

Last edited:
Light comes up from the top of the pole, pointing up against that mirror which diffuses the light. I'm sure I've seen examples of that in Toronto. Can't remember exactly where though.

Back