362     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 460     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Union Station: Front Street EA

Perfect for my stitched images then!

Two comments:

1) I'm not a big fan of the side pockets for taxis. Being the primary pick-up spot downtown for taxis, they will probably line up before the side pocket starts, either choking the narrowed road section, or spilling onto the sidewalk. I'd rather maintain the existing 2 lanes eastbound, but narrow the excessive lane width which is found today.

2) I hope that the awkward crosswalks on the north side of Front at York/University are straightened, and a wider pedestrian refuge provided in the middle.

Light comes up from the top of the pole, pointing up against that mirror which diffuses the light. I'm sure I've seen examples of that in Toronto. Can't remember exactly where though.

They're used in the Cityplace complex by the Skydome.

There's another thread for the Union shed rebuild, isn't there? Should we amalgamate them?

I was noticing that the hoarding is up over the southernmost end of the trainshed the other night. Which has undoubtedly already been observed; just damned if I know where...

This is not for the shed. The thread title for this thread should be changed to reflect that it's a Front Street project, not a Union Station project.

I agree. There should be five threads "Union Station - Precinct", "Union Station - Subway", "Union Station - Revitalization & Concourse Expansion", "Union Station - Track Level & Shed", and "Union Station - York Street PATH". Probably they should all be under the Transporation thread since the primary reason for all these threads is the transportation gateway Union Station is and will provide.

What's really going to suck is ... 8 months after this mosaic front street is built, Enbridge gas will dig up an uneven trench to do some utility work, and fill it back up with lumpy black tar. It'll look something like the sidewalks on Yonge Street.

K & Enviro:

I will start making the changes - it will take a while to track down all the different threads floating around. Not sure if moving all of them to Transportation is a good idea though - most of them are really urban design/project related instead of transportation. Regardless, these threads will start with "Union Station:" for easy identification.

AoD

Enbridge gas will dig up an uneven trench to do some utility work, and fill it back up with lumpy black tar. It'll look something like the sidewalks on Yonge Street.

Yeah, right-on.. city staff/inspectors should be dealing more with things that are going on the streets of Toronto rather than your average Joe's nest.:mad:

K & Enviro:

I will start making the changes - it will take a while to track down all the different threads floating around. Not sure if moving all of them to Transportation is a good idea though - most of them are really urban design/project related instead of transportation. Regardless, these threads will start with "Union Station:" for easy identification.

AoD

I see you did it. Great job! Thank you :)

AoD, please keep them in P&C if it makes sense. While they obviously will have an impact on transportation, they'll also have a noticeable impact to the urban built-form too. I don't think that P&C should be restricted to condos, office buildings, hospitals and community housing.

This may be of interest:

The City of Toronto is about to complete its study on Changes to Front Street at Union Station.

The proposed new design includes many improvements, such as:

* A grand civic plaza with new lighting, additional seating and a granite pavement treatment

* A "table top" mid-block pedestrian crossing spanning the width of the plaza

* Significant sidewalk expansion with wider crosswalks at intersections and minimized crossing distances

* Modified lay-by taxi, bus and private vehicle parking arrangements on both sides of the street

* Vehicle lanes reduced from two typical travel lanes in each direction to one wider travel lane in each direction

To learn more about the proposed design and to give your feedback, join us at the second and final public consultation event on November 3, 2011. The Preliminary Preferred Design for Front Street at Union Station will be on display. We invite you to drop in, view materials and speak one-on-one with members of the project team:

Changes to Front St. at Union Station - Public Information Centre #2

Date: November 3, 2011
Time: 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.

Download the PDF flyer to view images and learn more about the proposed design:
www.toronto.ca/involved/projects/frontunion/pdf/front-st-union-flyer-pic2.pdf

Further details about the study, including materials from last year's Public Information Centre #1, are available on the project web page at:
www.toronto.ca/union_station/front

We also invite you to join the discussion on the project Facebook group at:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129826693702940

Back