News   Jul 16, 2024
 366     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 474     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Union Station: Front Street EA

My question is, does Rube Fraud have the power to stop this, or to cut its funding?

Possibly. If he smells gravy, he might come tumbling down on this project.

Interestingly, it's hard to imagine a guy like Ford not liking gravy.

Wait are they removing the planters from the middle !! ??

Boooo. I would have voted for 2 lanes 1-way east. Much better to get pedestrians across. This would also have gotten rid of the left turn lane on Bay N where space is at a premium.

Last edited:
Attend the next meeting and suggest that then!

http://www.thegridto.com/city/local-news/front-street-is-for-walkers/

Front Street is for walkers

_Wed Nov 2, 2011_Local News

Ahead of the final public consultation session to be held on Nov. 3 at Metro Hall, the City of Toronto has released information regarding its plans for the constantly congested area.

As the busiest transport hub in Canada, Union Station has over 200,000 commuters passing through its doors every business day while, outside the station, upwards of 2,500 people cross Front mid-block during peak hours ever day, with pedestrians outnumbering vehicles 10 to 1 in rush hour. With this number expected to double in the next 10 to 15 years, the proposed new design will attempt to expand pedestrian space and reduce traffic lanes, while improving the appearance and functionality of the area.

Here is a summary of the proposed changes:

Sidewalk expansion: the plan suggests adding more walking space to reduce crossing distances; a grand civic plaza; and wider crosswalks at intersections.

Fewer car lanes: instead of two lanes in each direction, the plan calls for one wider lane each way, to be shared by cars and bikes.

More green space: the plan includes the addition of soil cell planters.

“Table Top†mid-block pedestrian crossing: spanning the width of the plaza will be a raised section of the road that acts as a traffic-slowing mechanism and increases pedestrian traffic across the street.

Median planters removed: a mountable median will be put in their place to provide refuge for crossing pedestrians and allow emergency vehicles to more easily navigate the busy section of Front Street.

Improved streetscapes: along with more bicycle rings and a Bixi station, granite pavement treatment will beautify the civic plaza, while new lights and additional seating will make the whole area more pedestrian-friendly.

Front Street has been closed to through traffic for a few weeks. (It's currently a cul-de-sac in front of the Royal York due to the Northwest PATH construction.) And let me say, traffic is not noticeably worse on Wellington or King. (Traffic is terrible on Bay street, but that's not due to the closure on Front.)

This is really making me wonder if simply closing Front Street in front of Union Station to create a grand square would be doable. If not, I no longer have any doubt that making Front only two lanes(one through, one pick-up-drop-off), one-way eastbound would be feasible. This would REALLY pedestrianize the area.

War on the car!

(Actually, I'd try making Front Street eastbound from York onwards.)

Even with York St cut off as well, traffic was fine.

All the shoring in place on York to start excavating for the PATH.

Regarding the construction under front street - is Union station going to connect to the subway station under Front street?

Well, yes, and it already does, but I suppose you're talking in a climate-controlled fashion.

As far as I know that will be one of the last things to finish, when the GO Bay Concourse has been rebuilt lower down. In the meantime new temporary stairs will open at the subway station exit leading up to the (for the time-being) open-air moat.

There are many stages for this to go through. It's tricky breaking these jobs down into parts when you have to maintain working infrastructure while doing it.

A better thread for this is this one in the Transportation Forum.

A little bit of how the Front Street sidewalk is being laid in this video:

[video=youtube;ySMvgjrgtLI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySMvgjrgtLI[/video]

Back