Who will be the next US president?

• John McCain

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Barack Obama

Votes: 80 77.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 14.6%

• Total voters
In Kentucky, Obama will lose by his biggest margin yet. That's pretty much a given, since the demographics of that state (and WV) are completely Hillary. If she dropped out today, Obama will still get creamed in the Kentucky, and that would be pretty embarassing.

Dunno about Kentucky being so monolithically Hillary; methinks you're reading too much Harlan County USA into the state--but West Virginia, well, it is to US states what Renfrew-Nipissing-Pembroke is to Ontario ridings...

Dunno about Kentucky being so monolithically Hillary; methinks you're reading too much Harlan County USA into the state--but West Virginia, well, it is to US states what Renfrew-Nipissing-Pembroke is to Ontario ridings...

Kentucky: Survey USA has Hillary up 62-28 (+/-4), and it's probably been the one of the more reliable pollsters.

Kentucky and West Virginia are VERY similar (and tailor made for Hillary Clinton - i.e. 'extremely white').

Remember the Hatfield and McCoy families were from the Kentucky/West Virginia border. The McCoys live on the Kentucky side; the Hatfields lived on the West Virginia side.

But what about the Louisville/Lexington area? Remember that there's always been a genteel side to Kentucky than WV lacks--in this, it's far more of a piece with the other Southern states. If anything, Tennessee is more often paired off with Kentucky than WV is.

In fact, WV's inbred-backwater image is unique among all the States--not least in that, unlike the rest of the South, it only began swinging distinctly Republican over the past decade. (That's where my Renfrew-Nipissing-Pembroke comparison kicks in; a seat which was safe Liberal even through the Mulroney years is now Cheryl Gallant white-trash ReformaTory country.)

WV is still the home of Robert Byrd last time I checked. Also, it's one of 14 states that has abolished the dealth penalty. It abolished it back around 1960 by the legislature, the next state to do that was New Jersey only a few months ago. (It's effectively re-abolished in New York as well, but that was the judicial branch).

Maryland next door will become one of the more liberal states. Just watch it.

WV is still the home of Robert Byrd last time I checked.

Well, a double-decker Democratic Senate representation--but very old-school. And as long as the Dems can still muster up that populist fire, I doubt WV will go *that* Republican--it just strikes me as the ultimate "Bush Democrat" state; that is, a more bottom-feeding strain of Reagan Democrats...

But what about the Louisville/Lexington area?

Big cities do have a different dynamic from the rest of any state, but they aren't very representative of the general public - especially in smaller states with a large rural population and no 'major' city.

In fact, WV's inbred-backwater image is unique among all the States

...and the movie 'Deliverance' didn't help that image one bit!

deliverance.JPG

Big cities do have a different dynamic from the rest of any state, but they aren't very representative of the general public - especially in smaller states with a large rural population and no 'major' city.

It depends what you mean by "major", though. With half a million plus in the city/county and a million plus in the metro, Louisville's much larger and more dominant than anything in WV--and compares favourably to Tennessee's Nashville/Memphis/Knoxville/Chattanooga "big four".

IOW Kentucky is still more cosmopolitan than you give it credit for...

For some time now I've thought that there's something awfully Fatal Attraction-esque about Clinton's stalking of the presidency, despite all the evidence that she can't have it.

Also, she's a bit like the creature in Alien, that can't be dislodged from the spaceship no matter how many poison gasses are fired at it.

For some time now I've thought that there's something awfully Fatal Attraction-esque about Clinton's stalking of the presidency, despite all the evidence that she can't have it.

Also, she's a bit like the creature in Alien, that can't be dislodged from the spaceship no matter how many poison gasses are fired at it.

:D good one

(start quote here....) This is going to be a disaster, Obama will take the Dem candidacy, but will not beat McCain. I know we hope that somehow Americans that usually don't vote will come out in record numbers and beat down the votes of the POWP, but it ain't gonna happen.

You know, the more I hear about Obama, the more I can't wait 'til Mccain wins! I'm a Ron Paul/Libertarian supporter, but I think i'm voting for Mccain, just as a big ____ salute to the Democratic elite.:)

It would be interesting, however, to see how accurate this poll is, ultimately.

It depends what you mean by "major", though. With half a million plus in the city/county and a million plus in the metro, Louisville's much larger and more dominant than anything in WV--and compares favourably to Tennessee's Nashville/Memphis/Knoxville/Chattanooga "big four".

IOW Kentucky is still more cosmopolitan than you give it credit for...

There is a lot of big money in the Kentucky Derby and other horse gambling venues, and Lexington is a town known for its liberalism and educational facilities in UK.

Would I call Kentucky cosmopolitan? Not in a million years, but its also not as poor as West Virginia. Also, just because a state supports Hillary does not mean it is a hick state. California and New York don't exactly stand out as redneck wonderlands.

West Virginia isn't really known for a lot, but Deliverance also wasn't filmed or set in WV, it was set in the mountains of north Georgia. LOL

To be totally honest, I'm tired of the dichotomy that every Hillary supporter is some dumb uneducated hick, she has a lot of support from well educated groups and even wealthy Democrats.

Obama has clearly won, and Hillary's best move is to stay in until the last primary on June 3rd and then declare afterwards that she is dropping out. Makes her look like a non-quitter, keeps Obama from being embarrassed in the upcoming contests where he won't win even if she were to drop out, and it gives Hillary leverage with her base to solidify support behind Obama.

Back