Who will be the next US president?

• John McCain

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Barack Obama

Votes: 80 77.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 14.6%

• Total voters
It's interesting that one conservative sites like free dominion and free republic they're saying that Palin will steal the Hillary voters from Obama and cancel out the age issue with McCain, while on left-liberal sites like UT and Rabble people believe that by choosing an inexperienced Palin that Obama has nothing to worry about at all.

What I do not see on either the conservative or left/liberal sites is anyone daring to take the opposing point of view. No one on the conservative sites is saying that this might have been a mistake, or that Obama is a growing threat to McCain, while on the left-liberal sites no one is worried that Palin might be the turning of the tide in McCain's favour.

"No one on the conservative sites is saying that this might have been a mistake"

That's because people who do get banned and their posts deleted.

On paper, this looks like this might be setting the Republicans up for their worst result since Alf Landon. But given how politics are in the States now, it's anything but--and because the GOP cornered what might be termed the "rustic grassroots" voting demo, Palin means a lot less damage to her brand than if she were a Democrat.

Looks aside, she reminds me of those "feisty broad" types who were a hallmark of the 1993-model Reform Party (Deb Grey, Diane Ablonczy, Val Meredith, etc)

What would be hilarious is if the US elected McCain in a narrow majority a-la-John Kerry or Al Gore AGAIN, and he had a heart attack and died between the election in November and the swearing in ceremony in January.

Then the US is left with a hard social conservative female President who has no foreign policy experience, and from what I understand seems to understand world politics less than your average Urban Toronto forumer.

It would be a truly and uniquely AMERICAN story to have that happen, just like GWBush. :eek:

Hmm, my response to Palin is "um wtf".

The biggest thing McCain has going for him is his perception as a more experienced, older and more able leader. All that goes down the drain now. McCain is 80 with health problems, you can't say "It's just VP, not the candidate", anymore. There is a fairly good chance that she may end up being president of the United States. And that is a strange thought.

Republicans may suspend convention over hurricane: McCain

1 hour, 34 minutes ago

Republican White House candidate John McCain said in an interview Saturday that his party may have to suspend its nominating convention next week because of Hurricane Gustav.

McCain was asked whether the convention which begins on Monday in Minnesota may have to be suspended over the hurricane in an interview to be broadcast in full on Fox News Sunday.

"We may have to look at that situation and try and monitor," McCain said.

"It wouldn't be appropriate to have a festive occasion while a near tragedy or a terrible challenge is presented in the form of a national disaster.

"So we're monitoring it from day-to-day and I'm saying a few prayers, too."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080830/pl_afp/usvotemccainstorm_080830204427&printer=1;_ylt=AimN0DpimuBSMTWBXCCVfGWtOrgF

all i gotta say is this....

224082420_3c512477bb.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/smiteme/224082420/

Maybe its a sign of things to come. Gustav crashes the Republican Convention, then McCain/Palin crashes the US election and dives nose deep into a huge loss. Nader picks up 10% and establishes himself as an official party so he can finally get federal funding, Obama picks up 60%, and McCain gets the remainder 30% of voters. ;)

At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if some Thomas Eagleton-like closet skeleton knocks Palin out of the Veep nomination...

Call it ignorance, ineptitude or wishful thinking but the conservative bloggers and forums are all over this, saying that Obama's momentum is waning, and quoting some polls that show a dead heat between the two sides.

At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if some Thomas Eagleton-like closet skeleton knocks Palin out of the Veep nomination...

...and now I'm noticing some buzz that her Down's son is actually her daughter's...

Yeah, I was reading that on my wordpress blogroll. Wtf is that all about? I think it's a myth from the Liberal's....but, who knows? However, wouldn't DS be more common amongst women with pregnancies in their forties?
I don't know if DS is more common amongst women in their 40's however what IS known is that Sarah Palin showed NO signs of pregnancy just 2 months before "givining birth" meanwhile her teenage daughter was abscent from high school for 6 months prior to the baby boy's birth because she was suffering from "mono". 2+2=????? When this gets out in the MSM McSame is finished.

Though supposing this Peyton Place-ish thing were true, it probably wouldn't damage Palin's folk-hero status, domestically speaking, i.e. she could still have a good future as Governor, Senator, etc.

Sort of like how I've wondered why Dan Quayle didn't go back into Indiana (as opposed to national) politics post-defeat...

Back