Who will be the next US president?

• John McCain

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Barack Obama

Votes: 80 77.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 14.6%

• Total voters
If they win watch the oil to really start to flow from Alaska.

Her husband works for an oil company. :rolleyes:

I'm watching her speech now... she sounds like she's a high school principal giving a speech in the gymnasium. She doesn't sound or look Presidential at all. There's no way she could step in as Pres. if McCain were to step down due to bad health or death.

McCain looks very awkward next to Palin. I can't imagine them as a team. They look like Dad and daughter.

What a contrast to the last four days at the DNC. Barack Obama w/ Joe Biden have just been dealt the Presidency and Vice-Presidency of the USA.

Can't wait to see the polls next week. :D

A quote from Paul Begala (CNN) puts it best:

In his first presidential decision, John McCain has shown he is willing to endanger his country, potentially leaving it in the hands of someone who simply has no business being a heartbeat away from the most powerful, complicated, difficult job in human history.

After watching her speech, I couldn't agree more.

Her little rip off of Hilary's "18 Million cracks in the glass ceiling" was so blatant and so phony, it fell far short of Clinton's strong and experienced original interpretation of those words.

Using her phrase put Hilary Clinton in the position of authority – as the author of those words – to refute Palin's call for women to elect McCain and Palin as the final objective of Hilary's trek.

This is so gonna blow up in McCain's face. Things are about to get quite entertaining.

Heard the name "Palin" and my first thought was...

151820__si_l.jpg

And yeah, she's totally do-able.

Palin has as much real world experience as Obama, I disagree with her policy and her intellectual curiosity that is lacking.

Palin wants schools to teach creationism, afterall.

But beyond that, as grand as Obama's speech was, it didn't move beyond the facts.

Here is a list I made about Obama on another forum.

*He doesn't support single payer universal health insurance, all his plan does is create a federal program you can buy into and he claim he can lower costs of existing plans. That's an empty claim IMO, the government cannot guarantee a private insurance agency will lower rates on a permanent, sustainable basis.

*He supports religious charities receiving money from the federal government

*He supports maintaining the same military funding, and in fact supports an increase in programs that have nothing to do with homeland security or anti-terrorism measures... Just like John McCain. Obama no longer talks about time tables, he talks about "responsibly ending" the war in Iraq. Its obvious his primary speeches are total history.

*He does not support gay marriage

*Obama does not support altering our trade policies, which are what lead to one of the biggest US economical problems: the massive trade deficit we face. He's an avowed free trader who is indistinguishable from Republicans on this front. The trade deficit is the biggest fiscal deficit we have.

Note, I don't believe that in order to change US trade policy do you have to become a protectionist or isolationist, but we do need to make the trade policies of the US more fair.

The fact that some of Obama's supporters truly believe he will be a revolutionary candidate is beyond anything funny.

I'm still pretty sure I'm voting Nader, despite his fantastic performance last night.

Palin has as much real world experience as Obama, I disagree with her policy and her intellectual curiosity that is lacking.

Palin wants schools to teach creationism, afterall.

But beyond that, as grand as Obama's speech was, it didn't move beyond the facts.

Here is a list I made about Obama on another forum.

*He doesn't support single payer universal health insurance, all his plan does is create a federal program you can buy into and he claim he can lower costs of existing plans. That's an empty claim IMO, the government cannot guarantee a private insurance agency will lower rates on a permanent, sustainable basis.

*He supports religious charities receiving money from the federal government

*He supports maintaining the same military funding, and in fact supports an increase in programs that have nothing to do with homeland security or anti-terrorism measures... Just like John McCain. Obama no longer talks about time tables, he talks about "responsibly ending" the war in Iraq. Its obvious his primary speeches are total history.

*He does not support gay marriage

*Obama does not support altering our trade policies, which are what lead to one of the biggest US economical problems: the massive trade deficit we face. He's an avowed free trader who is indistinguishable from Republicans on this front. The trade deficit is the biggest fiscal deficit we have.

Note, I don't believe that in order to change US trade policy do you have to become a protectionist or isolationist, but we do need to make the trade policies of the US more fair.

The fact that some of Obama's supporters truly believe he will be a revolutionary candidate is beyond anything funny.

I'm still pretty sure I'm voting Nader, despite his fantastic performance last night.
So, your ideal candidate would be one that...

- Supports single payer universal health insurance
- Is against religious charities receiving money from the federal government
- Supports decreasing military spending
- Sets a firm, concrete timetable for withdrawing from Iraq
- Supports gay marriage
- Supports limiting free trade

Now, do you honestly believe anyone with the above could ever get elected? So, if Obama wants to be elected, he'd better stay away from your list.

In a democracy, the idea is that you support a candidate that supports your values, not support a party just so that it can win.

McCain just announced Maude Flanders as his running mate.

Though Peggy Hill might be closer to the truth

421f_hot_cartoon_moms.jpg

Anyway, the first thing that came to mind re the announcement was: Harriet Miers. Well, maybe she's the Dan Quayle to Biden's Lloyd Bentsen

Come to think of it, re John McCain
cotton_hill.jpg

Back