News   Apr 23, 2024
 247     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 788     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 460     0 

TTC: Streetcar Network

60 Streetcars is not bad. That will put the fleet at 264 if I am not mistaken so around 24 streetcars on each line. 22 if they want to bring back the 502.
Though you don't need 20+ streetcars on many lines. The AM peak fleet requirements that TTC published a couple of years ago was (I believe):

501 - 41
503 - 17 (includes 502, though long-term plan is to run 503 only from Kingston Road to Dufferin Loop)
504 - 45
505 - 27
506 - 30
508 - 5
509 - 8
510 - 14
511 - 11
512 - 20

For a total of 218 cars. With a 20% spare ratio that's 262 cars.

Which means further cars will be necessary for Waterfront East, etc.

Though you don't need 20+ streetcars on many lines. The AM peak fleet requirements that TTC published a couple of years ago was (I believe):

501 - 41
503 - 17 (includes 502, though long-term plan is to run 503 only from Kingston Road to Dufferin Loop)
504 - 45
505 - 27
506 - 30
508 - 5
509 - 8
510 - 14
511 - 11
512 - 20

For a total of 218 cars. With a 20% spare ratio that's 262 cars.

Which means further cars will be necessary for Waterfront East, etc.
They should surely not need a 20% spare ratio for new cars, I think most transit authorities work on 12-15%

They should surely not need a 20% spare ratio for new cars, I think most transit authorities work on 12-15%
As far as I know 18% is the target. But that includes long-term work ... 1% of the current TTC Flexity fleet has spent the last 3 years being repaired after that flooding incident.

Does the TTC need to add another North-South non-revenue connection to Hillcrest? Is having the redundancy of a connection via Spadina for example worth it?

Does the TTC need to add another North-South non-revenue connection to Hillcrest? Is having the redundancy of a connection via Spadina for example worth it?
It might be a nice safeguard but it will never happen (or not for many years). Too many revenue links and extensions to be made first. They are looking at a second connection to Leslie Barns, which is the main streetcar depot.

^How does the TTC propose to maintain service on the Queen, King, Bathurst, and Spadina routes once Ontario Line digging begins?

- Paul

Return the BAY streetcar. Need to reinstall streetcar tracks on Bay Street, Davenport Road, and Avenue Road. If not, then narrow Avenue Road back to its original width.

It might be a nice safeguard but it will never happen (or not for many years). Too many revenue links and extensions to be made first. They are looking at a second connection to Leslie Barns, which is the main streetcar depot.
Still, would be nice to see some kind of connection up Keele (or Dundas West/Keele), to St. Clair. Connection doesn't have to be close to Hillcrest.

Any streetcar connection up to St Clair would be a win, whether it's Spadina, Bathurst, Bay, any north-south road east of Yonge that's not Broadview, or a completely new line. Even extending it beyond there to the crosstown would encourage some streetcar ridership, and faster connections.

New video up this week. A short one this week, looking at the Belt Line Streetcar (not to be confused with the Belt Line Railway).

190160701_10165567514275495_4124808157678390480_n.jpg

From link.

I doubt there will be but, can we please get design improvements? These cars are a 10 year old design and surely we've learned lots. Remember those black stickers added to reduce glare for drivers? What about better internal displays and better seating designs?

I doubt there will be but, can we please get design improvements? These cars are a 10 year old design and surely we've learned lots. Remember those black stickers added to reduce glare for drivers? What about better internal displays and better seating designs?
I don't think that we are going to see anything changed seating wise. Also I doubt that they are going to do anything with the internal displays unless they plan on changing out the ones on the other 204. Keep in mind this is an extra order of 60 Streetcars and not a new order with a new design.

Back