News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.6K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 537     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

TTC: Streetcar Network

Wow. Old world narrow streets. That would never work with Toronto drivers and parkers. Interesting gauntlet-type alignments to accommodate the narrow clearances.
Yes, the Lisbon trams are quite the trip! Unfortunately, it is (or was, pre-covid) hard to actually get on a 28 (or others) as they are filled with (other) tourists. Well worth it though.

Wow. Old world narrow streets. That would never work with Toronto drivers and parkers. Interesting gauntlet-type alignments to accommodate the narrow clearances.

Years ago in Budapest I recalled taking a bus through the Buda hills. The streets were so narrow we hit a parked car trying to make a turn.

The street was not much wider than one lane.. likely 1.5.

Too many stops.
Of course if there were no stops the streetcars could go faster but it would then only serve passengers living close to the termini ( Gunns Loop and @Yonge). There needs to be a balance between speed and convenience and this is a local service where it is unreasonable to expect people to walk a mile to catch a streetcar. From Steve Munro's analysis the problem is the TTC scheduling and huge lay-overs.

Of course if there were no stops the streetcars could go faster but it would then only serve passengers living close to the termini ( Gunns Loop and @Yonge). There needs to be a balance between speed and convenience and this is a local service where it is unreasonable to expect people to walk a mile to catch a streetcar. From Steve Munro's analysis the problem is the TTC scheduling and huge lay-overs.

Steve's read is quite correct in terms of how it has slowed from the time it was initially completed as an LRT.

But there are too many stops. Not way too many; one could reasonably debate the exact number, I'd peg it as between 3-5 extra stops per direction.

None is more egregious than the Vaughan Road stop which literally only 130 metres away from Bathurst!

1614979321117.png

The presence of these excess stops has always been there in the post-LRT era.

So they have no role in the slow-ing.

Only in the never fast enough in the first place.

Eliminating the worst of the worst, as above, wouldn't radically speed the line up, but should save a typical rider up to 2 minutes in each direction.

The rest is as Steve notes it.

Plus, the never ending problem of left-turning cars going in front of Streetcars......

Last edited:
Isn't top speed also a major issue? I believe someone around here said once that the speed at which streetcars travel has also slowed down since opening...

That does not mean there aren't overly redundant stops. Like is Tweedsmuir really that necessary when St. Clair West is less than 100m away, and Spadina is 150m away? Its literally a 2 minute walk to spadina, by the time you reach it the next streetcar probably hasn't even arrived yet.

Now I will say that since St. Clair isn't that used, a lot of stops do get skipped because of being able to request stops, so its not as bad as corridors like Spadina, but I do think removing some stops wouldn't really hurt much.

Back