News   Apr 18, 2024
 325     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.3K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2K     4 

TTC: Streetcar Network

https://map.toronto.ca/toinview/

Gives you a half decent idea. Construction has already begun on McCaul for it's reconstruction I believe.

This year appears to be:

- the Queensway at Roncesvalles (though I swear I remember reading this was delayed to 2020);
- Adelaide (finally) through downtown from Charlotte to Bay;
- Adelaide from Victoria to Church;
- the Church and Richmond intersection;
- McCaul from Dundas to College
- the Kingston Road and Queen Street intersection / loop.

Adelaide (finally) through downtown from Charlotte to Bay; - there is nothing to rebuild unless they are restoring the east to south switch they blew out at Adelaide and Charlotte two summers back. If they are really rebuilding this then three cheers. There is track on Richmond and track on Wellington so two of the one-way avenues have westbound diversion options. But Adelaide - eastbound - is completely done I believe with the exception of Victoria to Church.

I was more curious about the Coxwell tangent track from upper Gerrard to Queen which has to be the city's worst street car track in service at this stage. The Gerrard and Coxwell intersection is as bad as Dundas and Broadview was, and hey, it still has streetcars running in it.

https://map.toronto.ca/toinview/

Gives you a half decent idea. Construction has already begun on McCaul for it's reconstruction I believe.

This year appears to be:

- the Queensway at Roncesvalles (though I swear I remember reading this was delayed to 2020);
- Adelaide (finally) through downtown from Charlotte to Bay;
- Adelaide from Victoria to Church;
- the Church and Richmond intersection;
- McCaul from Dundas to College
- the Kingston Road and Queen Street intersection / loop.
TOInView is not as updated as it should be! The Quensway etc WAS postponed, Adelaide is certainly not this year (and that block of track was redone about 10 years ago and looks fine to me) and I think Richmond/Church is now 2021. Victoria is still listed as 2018 but will not be done until 2021 or 2022 due to Hydro work. If thecity uses TOIn View to plan they need to rethink!

What's the latest on the 505 return date? I think it's still officially August, but does anyone have any insider knowledge? I heard some rumblings that they will ultimately be delayed until 2026 (which is insane) but that this was partially due to the lack of space for multiple Flexities at Broadview. If that's the case, I suppose they could split 505 service into some terminating at Broadview and others at Main Street for example.

What's the latest on the 505 return date? I think it's still officially August, but does anyone have any insider knowledge? I heard some rumblings that they will ultimately be delayed until 2026 (which is insane) but that this was partially due to the lack of space for multiple Flexities at Broadview. If that's the case, I suppose they could split 505 service into some terminating at Broadview and others at Main Street for example.
With that in mind, is there any news on a new streetcar order from either Bombardier or another company? It doesn't seem to be a focus for the agency since Byford left.

This is promising:

With that in mind, is there any news on a new streetcar order from either Bombardier or another company? It doesn't seem to be a focus for the agency since Byford left.
I don't understand what you mean by "not a focus". Apart from the Ford government trying to slice and dice the agency, there have been some new developments such as the outline of rebuilding Hillcrest to host a division. The City needs higher government assistant to take on even a sixty car order.

I don't understand what you mean by "not a focus". Apart from the Ford government trying to slice and dice the agency, there have been some new developments such as the outline of rebuilding Hillcrest to host a division. The City needs higher government assistant to take on even a sixty car order.
By 'not a focus' it seems as though management itself isn't as active at touting the importance of the streetcar system as a whole. We're still seeing huge shortages across the system and they don't seem to be making public addresses on these issues despite them still not gone.

This is promising:
Where's the 502? Are they just replacing it entirely with the 503?

I believe the 502 is scheduled to be replaced by busses. It is essentially a branch line and one that is not very well used north of Queen St
If the 502 is going to be bustituted then I would assume the route will get renumbered at somepoint as well right? No use keeping the number 502 if it isn't a streetcar line anymore.

I believe the 502 is scheduled to be replaced by busses. It is essentially a branch line and one that is not very well used north of Queen St

If the 502 is going to be bustituted then I would assume the route will get renumbered at somepoint as well right? No use keeping the number 502 if it isn't a streetcar line anymore.

The official line is that the 502 and 503 will start using Flexities in 2020.

Of course, as nfitz has correctly pointed out, there's not enough streetcars to allow for them to be converted. So the thought is that they will remain bustituted until such a point - 2026 at the earliest - that more streetcars are delivered to allow them to be converted back to streetcar operation. (There's also some concern that the same will have to happen with the 501L as well.)

Dan

Of course, as nfitz has correctly pointed out, there's not enough streetcars to allow for them to be converted. So the thought is that they will remain bustituted until such a point - 2026 at the earliest - that more streetcars are delivered to allow them to be converted back to streetcar operation. (There's also some concern that the same will have to happen with the 501L as well.)
The more recent relevation that in June the current 35 streetcars on 501 (east of Humber) will be replaced with 27 Flexities and 6 buses during AM peak, does wonder if they are going to try and find the extra streetcars by simply not running enough streetcars on several routes. I dread to see what they are planning for 505 and 506.

A power failure in Leslieville this morning temporarily cut off Leslie Street vehicle storage facility from the rest of the network.
For a very brief period the CLRVs took over King Street again. Might have been the last.

Where's the 502? Are they just replacing it entirely with the 503?
I would first assume this is missing the 502 because the writer is being paid $14/hour with a quota to create something like 50 'news' posts per day , every day. and really doesn't have enough time or interest to get it right, and probably doesn't even know the 502 exists. There should be a 'new media' version of Hanlon's Razor for these scenarios.

Back