News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 379     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2.1K     1 

TTC: Streetcar Network

So was everyone else; no North American city went without major challenges to its streetcar network.

Also, as the 1997 TTC report shows, traditional streetcars need high density to be a viable transport mode, something the suburbs do not have.

The trolleybus dismantling was a larger mistake, I think.
In the 1950's, the suburban townships of Toronto were building some apartment buildings, but avoided putting in medium residential density. Along with zoning which segregated commercial from residential, resulting in the automobile lifestyle of the suburbs. Instead of walking from a transit stop, doing your shopping errands, and getting home, suburbanites get home and drive to do their errands.

Meanwhile, the longest tram line the world.

The Coastal Tram(Kusttram) is a tram line alongside the Belgian coast, with it's nordic terminus Knokke 7 kilometers from the Dutch border and it's southern terminus De Panne 2,5 kilometers from the French border it is the longest tram line in the world.

Maximum speed: 70 km/h
Length: 67 kilometers
Stops: 68

Meanwhile, the longest tram line the world.

The Coastal Tram(Kusttram) is a tram line alongside the Belgian coast, with it's nordic terminus Knokke 7 kilometers from the Dutch border and it's southern terminus De Panne 2,5 kilometers from the French border it is the longest tram line in the world.

Maximum speed: 70 km/h
Length: 67 kilometers
Stops: 68

This thread is entitled TTC Streetcar Network. How does this post even tangentially fit here? I like many of your posts but let's try to avoid going totally 'off route"!

This thread is entitled TTC Streetcar Network. How does this post even tangentially fit here? I like many of your posts but let's try to avoid going totally 'off route"!
For comparison purposes. 67 kilometres would run from the border with Pickering to the border of Burlington. We could have a streetcar running along "Highway 2" (Kingston Road/Queen Street, Lake Shore Blvd., etc.) between or even beyond.

From link.

1643917026436.png

Honestly they should extend the Bay Street trackage to King. It would help with diversions in the Downtown.

More to the point, I'm surprised Richmond is not being restored.

^ So I guess Victoria will be in a future year?
Victoria needs to wait for Hydro to do their project first and they are in a legal fight with another utility (Enbridge, I think) because they did something that screws up the Hydro plans. The TTC work is actually quite simple as it is all tangent (straight) track as both the Dundas/Victoria and Queen/Victoria connections were replaced a few years ago.

The Broadview watermain replacement has been taking forever. The shuttle bus connection is pretty poorly timed and has a rather confusing loop on the south end.
There was a 2021 delay as they could not buy pipe (sewer or water) due to covid shortages so the project had to be extended into 2022.

Victoria needs to wait for Hydro to do their project first and they are in a legal fight with another utility (Enbridge, I think) because they did something that screws up the Hydro plans. The TTC work is actually quite simple as it is all tangent (straight) track as both the Dundas/Victoria and Queen/Victoria connections were replaced a few years ago.

Wow, hadn't heard that. Interesting.

Honestly they should extend the Bay Street trackage to King. It would help with diversions in the Downtown.

More to the point, I'm surprised Richmond is not being restored.
Richmond has new track and overhead from Church to York Street. AFIK, even in the heyday of streetcars the Richmond track never went west of York St.

I've totally lost track of the proposed new loop for the 501 in the Humber River area; Park Lawn, or Legion Rd. or something. Is that project totally dead, or is it a zombie project on the books still, but with no funding?

I've totally lost track of the proposed new loop for the 501 in the Humber River area; Park Lawn, or Legion Rd. or something. Is that project totally dead, or is it a zombie project on the books still, but with no funding?
See the 2150 Lake Shore thread, at this thread. New loop with the proposed Park Lawn GO Station.

1615654321234-png.305538

Back