News   Jul 09, 2024
 691     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 361     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 463     0 

TTC: Stations that Need Improvements

Other than the fact they didn't hide the power and data conduits attached to the roof I like Museum station.

Also, I am wondering why Dubai is also on the list... While flashier than T.O., it still lacks the history and the engineering isn't too phenomenal.

What does history have to do with anything?

I suppose they HAD to chose something for Canada :p I agree Dupont and Downsview are more deserving.

As was Yorkdale (in its neon days, that is). For that matter, also toss in the other Erickson, Eglinton West...

I actually find the mosaic at Sheppard to be phenomenal. It's by far the most impressive station in my mind.

Eglinton West, Yorkdale, and Sheppard nice too. For some reason I really like St. Clair West, the light walls with pitch black contrating track level are great. Also the stars seem to go up to nowhere because they look like they're going into blackness, atleast to me :p

Personally I don't Mind Museum too much, though they could've done a lot better...

I use Pape station every day. They just recently surrounded the whole front and sides with construction panels - it looks really ugly right now. But at least its a clear sign that work is happening. Nothing much going on underground though.

What does history have to do with anything?

Which new station in Dubai have something that is actually fascinating in engineering innovation, architecturally striking, and of course in some cases, culturally significant like London Tube or NYC subway? Nothing, just new subway out of the culturally-void urban park in the desert. It's just sterile. To me, history of subways are fascinating.

With that said, I hope Pape gets remarkably radical redesign in the future.
I love St. Clair West as well, quite resembling to Dupont. Yorkdale, although looked nice with arc lights, needs some cleaning. It feels banal right now without those lightings.

Last edited:
I love those Munich stations with the hanging lights. It goes to show with a little thought and imagination, you can have a station that doesn't break the bank while looking amazing. Concrete walls, ceilings and simple hardware with advanced lighting to give everything a nice finish. Having a beautiful station doesn't have to cost 200 million dollars and be covered head-to-toe in mozaics.

culturally significant like London Tube or NYC subway

Culturally significant? If culturally significant they are so because they steered future developments and transportation in their cities... not because of their design. The choice of a small tube in London or use of steel and some elevated structures in NYC are due to economic and engineering decisions... not a design decision to create cultural significance. Maybe in 100 years this station in Dubai may be culturally significant. Most of the London Underground stations were built as cheaply as possible with very little concern for design and any love of those early stations were only for the transportation option which it presented or in current times nostalgia. Nostalgia comes from being old... so maybe when Dubai is old it will herald an earlier time and people will be nostalgic about it.

hbl33 said:
Nothing, just new subway out of the culturally-void urban park in the desert.

It was just created. If you think it looks bleak there now look at it 20 years ago.

Wow, all this hate for Wilson. The only thing I'd change about Wilson is the lightbox art needs replacing, and the bus bays need automatic doors and to be heated a little.

Wow, all this hate for Wilson.

Wilson was built in '78 and remained as the northern terminus for the spadina line for twenty years until Downsview was opened in '96. It was built big to handle the crowds that terminals usually do, but of course with another station added, it doesn't need to be so big anymore.

Wilson was built in '78 and remained as the northern terminus for the spadina line for twenty years until Downsview was opened in '96. It was built big to handle the crowds that terminals usually do, but of course with another station added, it doesn't need to be so big anymore.

So blow it up with dynamite?

I wouldn't recommend for you to do it...

but yes, that station could use an overhaul like what is planned for warden and islington

Every station needs a public washroom,

and the ones that do have them, they need to be cleaned regularly, and expanded. at least 5 urinals + 5 bowls for the men, and 10 bowls for the ladies, each station. thoroughly cleaned or checked by janitorial staff every 15 minutes.

St George and Islington definitely need one each. It'd be nice if the Dufferin/Pape renos also included installation of public washrooms. Major transfer point stations such as these where folk often have to laywait their bus shouldn't be expected to hold it in for extended periods of time.

When I started this topic, I mentioned the YUS Sheppard-Yonge Platform needed better lighting. Well it seems the TTC read my topic (I wish) and put new lights, I went by today after using York Mills for about a month to get home though it takes longer than Sheppard-Yonge so i decided to revert back to my old route, and noticed nice new fluorescents with white and bright light!

Back