News   Jul 09, 2024
 269     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 463     0 

TTC: Stations that Need Improvements

I'd rather I nicely designed station, with art features with a fiew ads and such, rather than that bare concrete institutional station...

Maybe you should learn to read between the lines...or in this case, read the actual lines.

This forum ain't just purdy pitchers.

Maybe you should learn to read between the lines...or in this case, read the actual lines.

This forum ain't just purdy pitchers.

I understand the purpose of this forum. I know that we don't need showy stations or anything like that. All that matters is that they fufill their function, and looks don't matter at that point. However, i think that if you can go beyond the generic look, without compromising function, then why not?

I understand the purpose of this forum. I know that we don't need showy stations or anything like that. All that matters is that they fufill their function, and looks don't matter at that point. However, i think that if you can go beyond the generic look, without compromising function, then why not?

sigh.jpg

When I started my post with the line "Sorry for being cynical", I was indicating that I personally favour architecturally designed stations over concrete sarcophagi. I also made a social comment wishing that our society valued aesthetic contributions to our public realm more and was in a position to painstakingly maintain and restore lost subway artwork over time.

You will find, as you become older, that many posts are framed like this. Read literally, they appear to contradict the general viewpoint of the poster and in some cases may seem silly or even unsettling. Satire is a form of humour that uses this technique to get people to laugh but also to reflect on the state of the world.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I must've missed that part. You're right I should pay more attention to whats being said, reading back, I realize what you meant, I feel embarrased. Sorry about that!

It was talked about, but either the funding ran out while they were working on Museum (which would explain its half-finished appearance) or they only had the funding secured for Museum. Considering the proposed designs for St Patrick and Osgoode, probably just as well (yes, even considering the current appearance).

Wasn't St Patrick supposed to have a racing horse motif? Bleh! I might be the minority here but I find Osgoode Stn to look fine as is along with St Andrew. Both have tile arrangements unique to the system, and I'd hate to have them gutted for something tacky looking like gramaphones and pianos adorning the walls.

St Andrew could definately use some passenger flow adjustments as well as second, or third exits/entrances at either end of the station (in fact all downtown stations could use additional exits/entrances at the ends of the stations). It is almost as bad at St Andrew as it is at Union when you have people getting on/off the system and trying to pass through on the PATH system

For one. There is a corridor along the South-West side of the station (and South-East IIRC) that is nothing more than maybe a 3 foot barrier between the fare paid area. The only other thing there is a janitors closet. Could they not tear down the wall and add some turnstiles? Even if they are the exit only variety.

I think they approved the panels at St. Andrew, I went by last week, and they had intalled a new one.

Wasn't St Patrick supposed to have a racing horse motif? Bleh! I might be the minority here but I find Osgoode Stn to look fine as is along with St Andrew. Both have tile arrangements unique to the system, and I'd hate to have them gutted for something tacky looking like gramaphones and pianos adorning the walls.

St Patrick was supposed to have a design with an Art Gallery of Ontario theme.

Osgoode I can live with; it doesn't look too hideous--no highlighter yellow tiles at least. St Patrick and Queen's Park need a good scrubbing from floor to ceiling. They could benefit from a well-done remodel, but something like that would be hard to accomplish without looking tacky twenty years from now.

I'm glad to hear they're progressing with St Andrew. Those panels should clean up the station nicely.

Too bad whoever put the latest on up used the wrong one, the strapline currently reads St. And[New Panel with no name in the strapline]... so yeah... Atleast this might be an indictor that they have enough panels to mix them up :p

That pictured example is of a CTA subway station in Chicago...

HD and TTC12: That pic shows either the Roosevelt Road subway station - on the S end of the State Street Subway(Howard-Dan Ryan Red Line)or Division(Dearborn Subway's N end-O'Hare bound Blue Line) and is not a TTC Subway station in case anyone wants to know...The CTA uses blue platform edging in ALL of their stations and that itself does NOT denote the line. Those are the only two stations constructed in this "squared-off" cut-and-cover style that I know of.

Most Chicago subway stations on both the CTA's State and Dearborn(O'Hare-Congress-Douglas Blue Line)Subways are built tunneled with curved walls. For more information this is the best place: www.chicago-l.org/

WKL: Those pictures posted of Yorkdale Station with the color lights bring back memories-I feel that the Spadina Line stations were well designed back in the 70s when they were built.
LI MIKE

Last edited:
TTC12: That pic shows the Roosevelt Road subway station - on the S end of the State Street Subway(Howard-Dan Ryan Red Line)in Chicago and is not a TTC Subway station in case anyone wants to know...LI MIKE

I don't recall saying it was a TTC station, hey I know the TTC, I would never mistake that concrete coffin for our bathroom tile aesthetic not to mention the poster said it was in chicago, then again, if Sheppard Line lost the signs, dimmed the lights, it'd be pretty close :p

As for the new panel at St. Andrew, they needed to add that TTC 'plaster it however it goes' touch.

Last edited:
Believe it or not. Toronto's Museum station has made an appearance in an article on subway architecture.
sub23.jpg

Toronto - museum station

While most of the subways stations in Toronto are very traditional, one newly remodeled station stands out. Museum station is located right below the city’s Royal Ontario Museum which was recently added to by Daniel
Libeskind. The new station replaces simple columns with recreations of the museum’s collection including Egyptian sarcophaguses, totem poles and mayan statues. the station also has walls clad with large aluminum
panels that are cut-out with the station name to reveal a hieroglyphics pattern behind. the unique station links the subway with the museum above.

Click on this link to the article on designboom.com.

Hard to believe that the Museum station is in the same league as:

sub0.jpg

or

sub1.jpg

or

sub4.jpg

or

sub26.jpg

or

sub9.jpg

BTW. Some of the images include metros and light rail.

This is really a joke. Museum Station, along with these world-famous designs? What is really Museum unique for other than half-ass finished decor in the platforms? Might as well as replace with Dupont instead, because its platform interior is timeless and actually looks great. It sucks that it has been overlooked by many.

Also, I am wondering why Dubai is also on the list... While flashier than T.O., it still lacks the history and the engineering isn't too phenomenal.

All this coming from a respectable magazine? I am quite dissapointed with the choices they made.

I suppose they HAD to chose something for Canada :p I agree Dupont and Downsview are more deserving.

Back