News   Jul 09, 2024
 270     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 464     0 

TTC: Stations that Need Improvements

Several downtown stations (King, St Andrew, Museum, St Patrick, Queens Park at least) still have the quite dangerous outside staircases at many of their entrances. There was supposed to be a TTC program to build canopies over these but I think it's on hold (or cancelled.) Too bad!

Islington's already equipped with a WC--or at least, it *was*...

Islington was scrap 5 years or so ago as to costly to fix.

The Star seems to have picked up this story this morning - the crap that is known as the Yonge-Bloor subway station.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/fix...er-what-s-with-the-ooze-at-yonge-station?bn=1

I think it is quite unique. I've never seen ooze like this other than in a sci-fi flick. Good movie set here.

Actually it is pathetic. These pictures were taken about 4 months ago. Clearly in 4 months, in the main station of the subway in Canada's largest city, no one has done anything.

4274364596_89d34eda22_o.jpg

4273619497_5e66b2c3dc_o.jpg

It looks like effervescence from water seeping into the station, evaporating, and leaving mineral deposits behind. Happens in a lot of old basements.

It looks hideous, but as it does not pose any significant safety or health concerns, there's not much that can be done other than gutting the wall, finding the source of the seepage, and fixing it. This would be a very costly and complex project that probably should be lumped in with the planned modernization of the station - which is in the TTC's plans already.

Sure ... but what (other than $) is stopping them simply washing the wall once every few month, in the interim?

It looks like effervescence from water seeping into the station, evaporating, and leaving mineral deposits behind. Happens in a lot of old basements.

It looks hideous, but as it does not pose any significant safety or health concerns, there's not much that can be done other than gutting the wall, finding the source of the seepage, and fixing it. This would be a very costly and complex project that probably should be lumped in with the planned modernization of the station - which is in the TTC's plans already.

It says a lot for Toronto that this can be considered as routine and acceptable; it will be taken care of, no sweat, have a nice day.

It's a bit like the last days of PanAm when lights didn't work, seats wouldn't recline, etc. These were all things that would be taken care of at the next major maintenance.

It does make one wonder about what is happening in areas where one can't see so easily. But I'm sure it's all OK.

Let's have an adult discussion here ...

-How hard is it to tell cleaners to "clean" the tiles and the stations? Have you seen Lawrence lately?

-How else do you eplain that they stay there and do nothing about Yonge is they do not live in their own little world?

Its call incompetence

The tiles look corroded - simple cleaning probably won't be enough. But seriously, what they really needed to do is gut and completely renovate the station - and not drag their feet at spending the money in order to do that. Cheap tricks definitely won't work in this case - besides, the station is probably a health and safety hazard during rush hours.

AoD

-How hard is it to tell cleaners to "clean" the tiles and the stations? Have you seen Lawrence lately?
How does one access the tiles to clean? What does one do with waste water?

-How else do you eplain that they stay there and do nothing about Yonge is they do not live in their own little world?
Surely the realism of budget constraints and operational difficulties would explain a lot more than what you suggest. Can you quantify what "little world" means?

Its call incompetence
It's called whining ... is this why the younger folk are called Generation Whine?

-Ask the STM cleaners when they clean Snowdon, Lionel-Groulx, Jean-Talon, De l'eglise and Charlevoix stations...
Is the TTC so broke that they cant buy equipment for that...?

Its true that our subway is like every other system in the world...

Surely the realism of budget constraints and operational difficulties would explain a lot more than what you suggest. Can you quantify what "little world" means?

You have to be one of the very few people to actually believe that the 4th North American City cannot afford to clean or change tiles...

Surely the 3rd transit company in North America is not primitive enough to actually have no clue to how to clean tile and take care of the dirty water...

It's called whining ... is this why the younger folk are called Generation Whine?

I don't know how old you are and don't really care either...

Its not whining demanding to know what they are doing with the fares I pay and the taxes I pay...

You turn off 3rd track power, then descend to track level. This step is probably common to replacing advertising as well. The tracks have drains, and if capacity is an issue, there are vacuums for liquids.

The main problem is that it's a lot of work and it'll end up looking the same way in about a month. Maybe a thin panel should be installed over it with a small gap. The staining would continue but no one would see it.

Back