News   Jul 09, 2024
 615     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 567     0 

TTC: Stations that Need Improvements

Wow 12 pages & no mention of the Horrorshow that is Eglinton Station. This station is an out & out mess everything from the lack of maintenance, the lighting, the dingy gray tiling (what's left of it), & the lack of any development whatsoever for what over a decade since they mothballed the former bus bays in favour of converting the old bus garage to bus platforms.

What is it with the TTC's complete & utter inability to make any headway in the area of the commercial development of any of it's properties & air rights above those properties (oh so close with Islington then failed) ???????

The Bus Platforms @ Finch Station, the Bus Platforms @ Sheppard, the parking lot on the North/West Corner & the South/East Entrance of York Mills Station, the entrance of Lawrence Station, the Bus Platforms @ Eglinton, the vast maintenance yards @ Davisville, & the air above the tracks & Station of Rosedale Station all seem prime development targets in my mind !

Finch, Eglinton, Eglinton West, Kennedy, and Don Mills will be undergoing renovation work due to the LRT connections for Transit City. The other stations in your comment would have to be looking at separately.

Wow 12 pages & no mention of the Horrorshow that is Eglinton Station. This station is an out & out mess everything from the lack of maintenance, the lighting, the dingy gray tiling (what's left of it), & the lack of any development whatsoever for what over a decade since they mothballed the former bus bays in favour of converting the old bus garage to bus platforms.

What is it with the TTC's complete & utter inability to make any headway in the area of the commercial development of any of it's properties & air rights above those properties (oh so close with Islington then failed) ???????

The Bus Platforms @ Finch Station, the Bus Platforms @ Sheppard, the parking lot on the North/West Corner & the South/East Entrance of York Mills Station, the entrance of Lawrence Station, the Bus Platforms @ Eglinton, the vast maintenance yards @ Davisville, & the air above the tracks & Station of Rosedale Station all seem prime development targets in my mind !

Several good suggestions in your list, particularly the Sheppard Station bus platforms. But it would be difficult to do anything above the Davisville yard, at reasonable cost. It would be an engineering nightmare, not to mention that underground parking would not be feasible! York Mills station is in a flood plain area, which would also pose challenges.

The city has recently taken an initiative to put redevelopment of city-owned lands (incl. TTC) under an agency which is mandated to move forward on some of these. Let's hope that they don't get bogged down in bureaucracy.

I noticed today Wet paint signs at Bloor Station, they painted the benches and the signs that say BLOOR on the metal columns teal. Small improvement, but once again better than nothing. I've also noticed new signs going up at Bloor, and some age-ridden signs replaced, such as the one at pape that Say 25 Don Mills Ontario science centre...

Lol 25 Don mills Ontario science centre! How old is that sign??

Good to know about Bloor station, let's hope they fix the leaking station walls in Yonge-Bloor station. The most heavily used station and it's in really bad condition!! I noticed a few of the Bloor-Danforth stations are in very bad condition too. Just today, I noticed a station (don't remember which) where the rebars of the roof on the platform level were visible!! IMO, TTC doesn't need to rebuild stations and make them look fancy (eg. Museum station), just do enough work to make them look like when they first opened.

Lol 25 Don mills Ontario science centre! How old is that sign??

Good to know about Bloor station, let's hope they fix the leaking station walls in Yonge-Bloor station. The most heavily used station and it's in really bad condition!! I noticed a few of the Bloor-Danforth stations are in very bad condition too. Just today, I noticed a station (don't remember which) where the rebars of the roof on the platform level were visible!! IMO, TTC doesn't need to rebuild stations and make them look fancy (eg. Museum station), just do enough work to make them look like when they first opened.

Not sure how old it is, but It was replace a week ago, theres a new almost identical one you can see the difference because the white lettering is actually white and not a stanky yellowish colour.

Maybe you were at Sherbourne? Or at a staion with ceiling slats removed.

Witnessed an abomination[/B ]today, looks like the sign painting on Bloor Station reached Yonge Station, I noticed wet paint signs, but the sand blasted signs were painted. I looked up and noticed they actually painted the signs on the strapline, to my horror they had done a horrible job! It's like they gave a 2 year-old a paint brush tha was too wide, they were painted completely out of the edges, much like a kid colouring out of the lines... I thought they were doing improvements. I Hope they'll fix this...

I checked today and the station with the rebars showing was Dufferin, and I was surprised, I didn't see that before. But it wasn't that big, just about 4 square feet, maybe.
But compared to Spadina station, Dufferin is much better. Spadina has the rebars showing combined with wall tiles missing and a mix of different tile pattern, it's disgraceful. Toronto subway has one of the most efficient tiling patterns and it's being torn down, piece by piece.

With regards to Bloor-Yonge station, that's just plain bad. What's wrong with the TTC!!

Looks like the TTC romved a huge chunck of tiles were, the ugly foaming wall used to be just like the member above mentioned, i wonder what they will put there, no metal slats please. maybe they'll leave it like that...knowing them...

They also fixed the strapline, i guess they went out of the line to get good covergae, today they were nice and sharp, in the lines. I suppose they used paint remover to remove the paint that came out of the edges.

For Kennedy station, can't the SRT just use the westbound ECLRT platform and then split off after the station? That way people going north are all on the same platform. In the current proposal, the two lines going the exact same place are on different levels. The platform assigned to the SRT could then be used by the SMLRT.

In Finch station they seem to be doing something, they've taken down many of the boards.

Is the "dingy gray tiling" in Eglinton Station referring to the Vitrolite tiles? If so, I don't think we'll have an easy time replacing them, since they're a key part of the TTC history and that's the only place left on the system with a large number of them.

Last edited:
This is really a joke. Museum Station, along with these world-famous designs? What is really Museum unique for other than half-ass finished decor in the platforms? Might as well as replace with Dupont instead, because its platform interior is timeless and actually looks great. It sucks that it has been overlooked by many.

Also, I am wondering why Dubai is also on the list... While flashier than T.O., it still lacks the history and the engineering isn't too phenomenal.

All this coming from a respectable magazine? I am quite dissapointed with the choices they made.

Maybe these people are less critical of Toronto than you, and can see its good qualities more than its flaws.

On Monday, April 12/10 I attended the TTC information session at Jean Vanier High School on Midland Ave. regarding the SRT conversion to LRT and Kennedy Station redesign. I picked up a bit of literature but they had even more information on sandwich board on easel's across the gymnasium there.

The plans they have for Kennedy Station are great. This busy station will move even more people after all these transit plans are complete. Like I said the SRT is getting changed over to a low floor LRT line travelling in 3 car sets. These 3 car LRT trains will be of higher capacity then the present 4 car SRT so all the stations along this line will have to be treated, but what impressed me was the design of Kennedy Station and future transfers at this station.

The SRT converted to LRT is going to go undeground to the present concourse level but it is going to loop around now, the southbound SRT(LRT) will veer a bit to the west, under the parking lot just north of Kennedy Station, then the trains will dock on the north side of the concourse level, meaning we passengers will exit this line and either stay on this level and catch the future Eglinton Crosstown LRT, or go down just one level and catch either the subway or the future, and so far unfunded, Scarborough East LRT, or the passengers can go up one level from the concourse level and catch one of the numerous buses at this station.

Kennedy Station, if all the plans come through, will have the subway of course, 3 different LRT lines quite a few bus routes as well on the surface (not as many as now though) and the GO train as well. The taxi stand will be there somewhere of course so we transit users will have so much choice at this hub in the future.

Anyone notice that St. George's ceiling at platform level got a fresh coat of white paint?

In Finch station they seem to be doing something, they've taken down many of the boards.

Finch station is so bad everything is boarded up because the walls aren't safe to the public anymore and yet it is one of the busier stations of the system.

Anyone notice that St. George's ceiling at platform level got a fresh coat of white paint?

They've painted the ceilings at several stations and it makes a huge impact, especially the taller surface level ceilings at Bloor Danforth line stations. If only they could clean the tiles more often. Spadina's ceiling at platform level has also been repaired, but there are still some sections with the rebar showing.

Back