News   Jul 09, 2024
 495     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 540     0 

TTC: Stations that Need Improvements

@nstuch

hahahaha thats nice! but you forgot that third guy though.

I was on Steve Munro's website and he gave me a written description of what they had planned for Warden Station. Unfortunately the funding wasn't secured and the funding plans were pulled recently, according to stevemunro.ca. Anyways I told him that I live between Warden and Vic. Park Station but use Warden more often then VP Station. When he wrote the funding was pulled I asked him what the plans were. They sound great, but, he only gave me a written description of them- I was wondering if anyone had artists renderings of these plans. I remember when I first moved to Toronto, from Vancouver, they had VP Station Modernization plans online and now it is a real thrill for this transit fan to watch these plans become reality. I always hoped that Warden Station would get the treament that VP Sta. is getting and losing those seperated bus bays. Steve Munro said that it will be an island type of platform that all the different routes will share.

Glad that a lot of the stations are losing the design of seperated bus bays, because sometimes I have a stroller and it is a pain to go up and down stairs with my son, especially when I am transferring from bus to bus. Also, this comes from Vancouver, I always preferred the design of having centre platforms on the Skytrain Station that had them, and I like the fact that Kennedy and Warden have centre platforms. In a way I think this design saves money because the trains share the same elevator (something Warden needs) and stairs and escalators. I am originally from Montreal and centre platforms are unheard of their, but they designed Lionel-Groulx well.

This is something that Toronto does really well compared to the other cities I have lived in and that is the design of the subway station, not all of them of course, but I was really amazed at how the buses enter the station itself at a lot of the stations I go to. I lived most of my life in Vancouver and Metrotown Station is sort of like this but we commuter aren't sheltered as well as we are at a lot of our stations here in TO. I have two young children, one still in a stroller, and this design of the stations is really appreciated on colder days. VP Station will soon be one of the more comfortable stations to transfer at it. I just hope that their is a change of mind with the powers that be and Warden Station gets its funding lined up again, and this time secured.

Lots of work going on at Pape. The station doesn't actually look any different - aside from being surrounded by construction board (as it has been for some time now) - but there is the constant prescence of construction workers milling about the station.

TTC is going to use Yorkdale as a tester to see if a Station Master can be use for the rest of the stations in the system.

TTC is going to use Yorkdale as a tester to see if a Station Master can be use for the rest of the stations in the system.

Well, at least it's a start - though other transit systems (e.g. London) use Station Masters and they do seem to be able to coordinate things at stations and deal with the things that are 'nobody's responsibility". Some stations may need a full-time SM, others could share one. SMs would ensure signage was clear and up-to-date, try to get stations cleaned, get escalators repaired on time etc etc.

Last edited:
Perhaps they could push along construction projects, large and small, that seem to drag on forever? I have lost count of how many months ago they took down the ceiling slats (or whatever they are called) at Jane Station, did whatever they did (or perhaps didn't do it), then walked away without finishing the job. This seems to be an ongoing tendency at the TTC, where "finishing the job" does not seem to be much of a priority.

does anybody know what is being done at Finch station? It seems like it's been under construction for the past ten years, with half the wall tiles missing near the kiss'n ride.

Good question. They were upgrading the ventilation for like 2 years. The ceiling slates have been removed in the mezzanine under the bus terminal, and the southern entrances have been boarded up for years now. This station needs a major face-lift. TTC construction hasn't done anything since last year. There is nothing on the TTC site on it. Probably it is one of these 'unfinished' jobs that never gets completed. The construction office is still there, near SW entrance.

yes, that's exactly what I feared, it just looks horrible, at first I thoughtthey were putting in some more small food places, similar to the newly opened tim hortons, but it has already been a while since the tim horton's opened, I'm gonna just take a wild guess/ hope and say that they aren't doing the construction, because they are waiting to tie it in with the finch west LRT project, and improve all of Finch station at the same time?

Lets hope so. I think they are in fact waiting to get funding for the Yonge extension. That project included a sprucing up of Finch. Finch needs the same treatment as Kipling and Vic Park stations.

I think Finch Station will have to be modernized when they hook up with the Finch LRT which has its funding secured like the Sheppard East LRT. I heard some talk as well that the Finch LRT might travel east on Finch to Don Mills to serve the college in that area and then travel south on Don Mills to Don Mills Station to- I haven't heard if the funding was secured for that easten leg but it seems to make sense. Anyways even if they just construct the Finch West LRT, Finch Station on the Yonge Line is going to be in need of a major renovation and maybe the other work that needs to be done will get funding as well.

There are two open houses about the Scarborough Rapid Transit conversion and the Kennedy Station improvements.

-March 8/2010
6:30-9:00 pm
Jean Vanier Catholic Secondary School (Cafeteria)
959 Midland Ave. (North of Eglinton)

-March 11/2010
6:30-9:00 pm
Chinese Cultural Centre
5183 Sheppard Ave. East (at Progress Ave.)

I am going to try and make it to one of these open houses, Kennedy Station is finally going get a major overhaul with all the LRT routes planned for the Station and the Subway, I imagine with the LRT routes there that the station will still have many TTC buses serving it as well. I look forward to the infomation packages I always pick up at these open houses. I wonder if the GO station is going to get a treatment there as well, that is under Metrolinx's umbrella, hopefully that group is at this Open House.

Small improvement to St. George station. Last week the sandblasted signs on the platform wall (not the wall you face when you wait) got a fresh coat of green paint. And the signs on the strapline got a fresh coat of white paint. I noticed this when they had put "wet Paint" signs around each sign.

A minor but nice improvement!

Back