News   Apr 18, 2024
 269     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.9K     4 

TTC: Pape Station Renovation

If the construction schedule is similar to that of the Broadview station upgrades, we can expect this project to be complete by mid 2019.

Hey Alvin, stop the teasing... I dug all over his site and couldn't find the new rendering of Museum station that you mentioned. :(

What struck me was his suggestion that the station redesigns that the TTC has planned may not even use the TTC font. Besides the signs, the Museum redesign will appeal to tourists, and it effectively works as an interesting advertisement to all riders for the museum. Now if only they weren't charging that much for entry...

from the PDF....

Arts on Track is an ambitious project that will set a new standard of quality in our public space, boost tourism, grow audiences for the arts, and reduce traffic congestion and pollution through increased transit usage.
As of December, 2006, over half the $15 million required for this three-station project had been raised through a combination of TTC matching funds, Government of Ontario funding and the generosity of private donors. Work on the first stage — Museum Station — will take place in 2007.

From the Globe:

IN BRIEF
Pape station first in linefor TTC makeover

JENNIFER LEWINGTON

July 7, 2007

Toronto transit riders will be asked for their views on renovation designs planned by the TTC for nine subway stations over the next four years, with Pape the first in line next year.

Details of the renovation project include public meetings on the proposed station designs.

"People tell us when they get on buses and crappy stations, they don't want to ride the TTC," Adam Giambrone said.

Details of the $20-million modernization of Pape station will be released next week, with public consultations scheduled for the fall.

The other stations slated for modernization are Dufferin, Bloor-Yonge, Kipling, Islington, Museum, St. Patrick and Osgoode.

Why Dufferin?

AoD

There isn't really a choice about doing something at Kipling. Miss. Transit will have to shift over there from Islington, and at present there are no bus bays available. Islington in turn is going to undergo a major reno because of new office development on the site,. Not to mention that Islington is a shabby-looking station with several individual bus bays, an obsolete design which will not permit making the place fully accessible.

I thought Victoria Park would be on the list, or is it considered part of another project? It's my candidate for the worst station of all.

From the Globe:

"People tell us when they get on buses and crappy stations, they don't want to ride the TTC," Adam Giambrone said.

Who are these people? Shouldn't the 'crappy stations' just be blurs in commutters minds as they race to get to work or home. Would rather the $20 Million at Pape/and all other stations be spent on installing glass doors/walls seperating the platform on and the track and 'next subway' timer clocks throughout the station. Oh well. I guess I would always be the one advocating for higher fences and more guards at a prison then spending it on the lifestyle of the prisoners. And its pretty decent of 'private donors' to pony up.

Would rather the $20 Million at Pape/and all other stations be spent on installing glass doors/walls seperating the platform on and the track and 'next subway' timer clocks throughout the station.

Has any system other than Hong Kong retrofitted stations with platform gates?

I would think it would require substantial improvements in fire systems since the smoke removal fans are almost always on track level with the expectation that air would be replaced from open staircases (places people are escaping through).

In short, placing gates in old Toronto stations may require tens of millions per station unless they're open on the top which kinda defeats the primary purpose (energy conservation by retaining heated/air conditioned air in the station). The secondary purpose is keeping people off the tracks.

Has any system other than Hong Kong retrofitted stations with platform gates?

I would think it would require substantial improvements in fire systems since the smoke removal fans are almost always on track level with the expectation that air would be replaced from open staircases (places people are escaping through).

In short, placing gates in old Toronto stations may require tens of millions per station unless they're open on the top which kinda defeats the primary purpose (energy conservation by retaining heated/air conditioned air in the station). The secondary purpose is keeping people off the tracks.

london has those platform gates, but they are not worth the money, they don't really do anything...just one moe layer of doors.

Back