News   May 03, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 610     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 295     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

From link.

The TTC has implemented various health and safety measures throughout the pandemic, and will continue to do so in accordance with public health guidance.

HVAC Photocatalytic Oxidation pilot testing is currently being finalized on the TTC’s streetcar fleet. In-service efficacy test results and peer agency data from similar pilots are still pending for this technology.

As part of the TTC’s efforts to mitigate airborne transmission, TTC staff have also commenced upgrades to the vehicle filter systems. The goal is to upgrade to MERV 13 filters, which are currently recommended by professional organizations, such as American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE), for reducing airborne aerosol exposure to COVID-19. Typically, transit vehicles are designed to use HVAC filters in the range of MERV 5 to MERV 8. Table 2, shown below, details the status of filter upgrades for each mode.

Pilot testing to upgrade the Wheel-Trans bus fleet with a standalone filtration device that accommodates the vehicle’s compact HVAC design, is ongoing and is targeted for completion in Q3 2021
With respect to surface disinfection, the TTC continues to follow guidelines established by the Province of Ontario and is disinfecting vehicles twice daily while evaluating other available surface treatments.

As a pilot, the TTC has engaged a third party supplier to investigate the use of copper coating material as a means for surface treatment for COVID-19. Phase 1 testing has already been completed between this vendor and Vancouver’s Translink agency. Phase 2 testing is scheduled to commence in July with the inclusion of TTC’s subway fleet.
1620316250572.png

On the agenda for the May 12th TTC meeting is a fare policy study.

The related report is seeking a mandate to proceed with the study with certain 'objectives' or what might otherwise be called terms of reference. Some are notable.

First, the report link:

1620318458634.png

1620318479812.png

Also..........Presto'ish news:

1620318545818.png

There's a lot of material appended to the end of the TTC report, which is as follows:

1620318646244.png

Also..........Presto'ish news:
Forgive me but, why does the TTC need to replace Presto? I understand the rollout has been a disaster but it makes less sense to go for a new provider. Instead of having one integrated smart card for the entire GTHA, we'd have one for the city, (Whatever they go with) and another one for the GTHA (PRESTO)

Forgive me but, why does the TTC need to replace Presto? I understand the rollout has been a disaster but it makes less sense to go for a new provider. Instead of having one integrated smart card for the entire GTHA, we'd have one for the city, (Whatever they go with) and another one for the GTHA (PRESTO)

I suspect this is more of a negotiation move than anything. Presto charges alot; and their service to TTC and other agencies has been less than stellar.

The TTC may break away; but I think its more likely that you'll see Presto make some commitments on better service and lower fees to transit agencies.

But that's just guesswork on my part.

Its been a joke from day one and it starts with the company who develop and sold it to the province over better systems out there. Burlington had a better system before Presto came along. No system can stop future increase.

All systems using the Presto are paying 6-10% of fare collected using Presto along a surcharge needed for any system changes that is require for each change. This is a lot higher than plan caused by ML Blunder in development of the system.

TTC has opposed Presto from day one or any smart card system before Presto surface. A smart card is the future if it work right with the right planning. I have been pushing a smart card since 2003 and it needs to meet the needs of the GTHA systems to allow easy transferring between them.

TTC was forced by the province to use the Presto or loose funding from it. Can we say SRT??

Its been a joke from day one and it starts with the company who develop and sold it to the province over better systems out there. Burlington had a better system before Presto came along. No system can stop future increase.

All systems using the Presto are paying 6-10% of fare collected using Presto along a surcharge needed for any system changes that is require for each change. This is a lot higher than plan caused by ML Blunder in development of the system.

TTC has opposed Presto from day one or any smart card system before Presto surface. A smart card is the future if it work right with the right planning. I have been pushing a smart card since 2003 and it needs to meet the needs of the GTHA systems to allow easy transferring between them.
What are the chances Metrolinx tries to negotiate a new deal with Presto or a new provider as part of fare integration roll out. The new subway projects all seem to be designed with the assumption of fare integration, they've been tight-lipped on it, but clearly something being considered.

TTC was forced by the province to use the Presto or loose funding from it. Can we say SRT??

That Burington rainbow card was little more than a concept system from what I recall, and it was processing probably only a few transactions per day, I believe all with physical card presence and no loading trough the internet. The majority of their own tiny number of riders never used it. The back-end processing and connectivity to payment processors is really what matters, and what really costs. Payments fees have skyrocketed, especially since rewards cards can now regularly pay 2% cash back to the owner on card/pass loads (Tangerine Bank is currently actively advertising 2% back on transit fares for their credit cards) and that is all passed on by the banks to the vendor, and on top of that the service providers have lost the ability to earn interest income off any cash deposits stored on the cards. PRESTO probably was launched with an assumption of two or three million dollars per year in interest income on card balances to offset expenses which has not materialised; now most institutional money market fund accounts payout literally zero interest. There's no way to know now if what Burlington had was even possible to scale up or out without the same or larger expense when PRESTO was launched, but it seems unlikely.

Last edited:
What are the chances Metrolinx tries to negotiate a new deal with Presto or a new provider as part of fare integration roll out. The new subway projects all seem to be designed with the assumption of fare integration, they've been tight-lipped on it, but clearly something being considered.
ML owns Presto with the company that develop it doing the work. Ask Steve Munro what he thinks about Presto.

I think everyone WANTS fare integration but nobody wants to pay for it!

Saw a batch of clueless riders trying to get on a 501 westbound LRV at St Patrick that short turning at McCaul. None looked at the display sign that said short turning at McCaul a block away. Did they not know there was no streetcars going west until 2022 and have to ride a bus west of this stop?? This was close to a dozen riders. The driver made the announcement the car was out of service and please exit and catch the bus to go west. He had to leave the cab to tell a few riders they had to exit the car.

Then, TTC was a real pain in the ass for me yesterday and not having to use it the last few weeks was great using a car. Got on a Kipling train when the guard came out of the cab a few minutes later looking for someone. A few minutes later he was talking to the supervisor who end up calling control and then the train went out of service. Got on the the other train that sat for a few more minutes and then departed. About 10+ minute wait. Got to Dundas West and saw a large crowd on the westbound platform that meant they got dump for a train to short turn to fill the gap in front of use due to Kipling issue.

Went to catch a 504 to Broadview at Ontario St only to have a 503 and 4 distillery cars past us before our 504 show up that was at near peak load.

At Broadview, had to wait for a west bound train close to 10 minutes that arrive with close to peak load. I guess there was a missing train or 2 on line as I watch 5 eastbound trains before my arrive or the driver taking his sweat time.

TTC needs to remove no sitting signs as people will sit there regardless of them and ridership climbing. A young women sat down in one of these seat 2 seats from me and them went over to the other side 3 seat bench and then lay out and try to sleep who had no mask on at all. Unlike most people I said a few things as what she was doing. This was for only a few stops before she got off.

TTC needs to remove no sitting signs as people will sit there regardless of them and ridership climbing. A young women sat down in one of these seat 2 seats from me and them went over to the other side 3 seat bench and then lay out and try to sleep who had no mask on at all. Unlike most people I said a few things as what she was doing. This was for only a few stops before she got off.
Was your trip essential?

With the mentally ill not masking, good reason to stay at home.

Because this seems like the most general place for this - if the federal government is paying for 40% of Ontario, Yonge North, Scarborough & Eglinton West (~$10bn), a big sum of money for Hamilton LRT (~$1.5bn) AND some money for new streetcars ($??), surely this is the biggest transit announcement by any Canadian government. A *big bang* if you will. Certainly to be applauded, and I don't know when we'll see something similar happen again!

It's up there with some of the biggest single transit announcements I can think of - i.e. the UK government contribution in 2010 to the (now £17.8bn in total) Crossrail project was only £4.96bn (around $8.5 CAD)... Only stuff like HSR mega projects are more than 10bn+, really

Back