News   Apr 23, 2024
 134     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 862     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 290     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

TTC to complete vital tunnel upgrades and asbestos removal on Line 1 between St George and St Andrew stations

May 13, 2021

Beginning on Mon., May 17, the TTC will once again take advantage of continued low ridership and close the portion of Line 1 between St George and St Andrew stations. The closure will last 10 days and will allow crews to carry out tunnel lining repairs, asbestos removal, power cable removal and repair and station cleaning.

This will be the final 10-day closure in this section of the downtown "U". The completion of this work will allow the TTC to eliminate between 75-100 planned weekend closures over the next few years, significantly reducing disruptions and customer inconvenience. Customers who travel along the impacted part of Line 1 were surveyed during the previous two closures and the vast majority are supportive of the TTC's approach.

"The City is committed to investing in the TTC and making vital upgrades to our existing transit system as quickly as possible. I want to thank the TTC and all its employees for working throughout the pandemic to get as much of this work done as possible while ridership is low," said Mayor John Tory. "Getting harmful asbestos removed, tunnel linings repaired, power cables repaired and stations cleaned now will make sure our system is ready to welcome back more riders as the pandemic comes to an end."

"The TTC is continuing to make significant progress on major state-of-good-repair projects while ridership remains low due to ongoing COVID-19 public health restrictions. These closures will allow us to rapidly accelerate necessary capital work in a condensed timeframe, saving riders years of future disruption," said TTC Chair Jaye Robinson.

"We've taken a different approach to some of our most critical state-of-good repair work and, as a result, we've made significant progress," said TTC CEO Rick Leary. "With the completion of this series of closures, we will have accomplished 18 months of work in three weeks and saved customers travelling in this area, a two-year-long inconvenience. I want to thank all our customers for their patience and everyone at the TTC who worked hard to make this work happen and improve the subway system for our great city."

During the closure, customers can expect shuttle bus service every 60 seconds or better during peak periods and very consistent service to continue throughout the day. Service levels have been designed based on current customer volumes. Designated pick-up and drop-off locations will be outside each station, at street level.

East-west service will be available, as usual, on College (506 Carlton), Dundas (505), Queen (501) and King (504) streets, for customers to connect from Yonge St.

Museum, Queen's Park, St Patrick and Osgoode stations will be closed during this work. Customers should note that all subway entrances/exits will also be closed, including TTC connections to hospitals. St George and St Andrew stations will remain open for fare sales and connection to surface routes and Line 2. Customers are encouraged to start their journey at any station on the Yonge side of Line 1 to avoid the closure area.

Customers who require Wheel-Trans service can speak with any TTC customer service staff member for assistance.

I actually like these 10 day closures.

I actually like these 10 day closures.
Given what the ridership is on this section of the line, no big deal with the 10 day closures. This also applies to other area as it will speed things up faster and done sooner than a day or 2 closure there and there over X timeframe.

This is the best time to do work that will have impact on a small number of riders than wait until ridership gets close to 2020 levels.

Went to use the 504 for Broadview on the 11th and surprised to see buses and mostly were not even 50% full. Wasn't adware of this change since been some time I have been out that way

Last edited:
Went to use the 504 for Broadview on the 11th and surprised to see buses and mostly were not even 50% full. Wasn't adware of this change since been some time I have been out that way
It started on 9 May - trackwork and watermain work on Broadview.
504D King bus replacement will serve stops between Berkeley Street and Broadview Station, via King Street East and Broadview Avenue.

It started on 9 May - trackwork and watermain work on Broadview.
504D King bus replacement will serve stops between Berkeley Street and Broadview Station, via King Street East and Broadview Avenue.
The funny part that there is no end date other than a start date from the signs I saw saying starting May 9.

Upcoming TTC Subway Closures

May 13, 2021

This weekend, Sat. May 15 and Sun. May 16, there will be no subway service on the portion of Line 1 between Sheppard-Yonge and St Clair stations due to track maintenance.

Replacement shuttle buses will run, stopping at each station along the route. TTC staff will be on hand to direct customers to shuttle boarding and offloading locations, which will vary from station to station. In addition to the shuttles, the 97 Yonge bus and the University side of Line 1 will be available as alternatives during the closure.

All stations will remain open for fare sales and connection to surface routes and Line 4.

At York Mills Station, the Old York Mills Rd. entrance/exit will be closed. At Lawrence Station, the automatic entrances/exits at Ranleigh Ave. and Bedford Park Ave. will also be closed. Other entrances and exits will be available for customers at each subway station.

Customers who require Wheel-Trans service can speak with any TTC customer service staff member for assistance.

Sunday

This Sun. May 16 only, subway service on the portion of Line 2 between Kipling and Islington stations will begin by noon for signal maintenance. Shuttle buses will run frequently.

As Islington Station is not yet accessible, customers travelling westbound on Line 2 who require an accessible connection should exit the train at Royal York Station and see any TTC customer service employee for assistance.

While the TTC does most subway maintenance at the conclusion of service each night, it continues to require weekend and early weeknight closures to complete critical infrastructure and state-of-good-repair work as well as ATC signal upgrades.

The TTC is committed to keeping customers informed about work and events that impact service and about alternate routes. For the most up-to-date information, follow @TTCNotices on Twitter or sign up for eAlerts.

I don't recall seeing this posted before, if I overlooked that, my bad......

The TTC has a fare policy survey up.

It asks several questions.

Notably it prompts to see interest in:

Fare capping (all rides free after 'x' in a day/week/month.)
Specifically the time period of capping (day/week/month)
Abolishing Age-based discounts
Adding more generous low-income discounts.
Adding time of day discounts
Rewards Programs
Abolishing the fare border at Steeles w/York Region
And charging a premium fare for the subway.

Link here: TTC/YRT 5-Year Fare Policy Questionnaire - Phase 2 Survey

My input:

Fare Capping yes, keep it monthly, that's what all area systems use and its what people know.
Ditch the seniors discount, as its the wealthiest demographic. Keep the teen discount (teens don't typically have their own income and usually can't drive)
No to add more low-income discounts; because most low-income earners don't apply due to complexity and stigma.
Yes instead to capping adult fares at 40 trips per month, which would cut the cost of monthly transit to $130 per month at current fares, only $10 more that the low-uptake low-income pass.
No time to time of day discounts, it adds needless complexity and it discriminates against those who can't choose to travel in off-peak times.
No to rewards programs, put the money into better service/lower fares.
No to abolishing the fare boundary at Steeles in isolation; a comprehensive regional pricing strategy (with lower penalties for crossing regional borders is required)
No to premium fares for the subway for discriminating against the poor, and adding needless complexity.

Here's an interesting map:

Map-Infographic-WIthout-Title.png

Source: https://movingwaldo.com/daily-living/toronto-apartment-near-subway/

I find it interesting that Glencairn station has among the cheapest rents, despite being very close to an affluent neighbourhood.

^How accurate is that? $2,600 for a two bedroom at Yonge and King seems way too low. I thought it would be well over $3,000. My two bedroom in Thornhill was going for $2,400 before the pandemic. My friend's two bedroom at Promenade Mall is going for $3,000 right now. Granted, we have much larger units than downtown, but we're also far outside the core.

Also, I'd love to know the size of the catchment area they're using for each station and which housing typologies are included.

Last edited:
^How accurate is that? $2,600 for a two bedroom at Yonge and King seems way too low. I thought it would be well over $3,000. My two bedroom in Thornhill was going for $2,400 before the pandemic. My friend's two bedroom at Promenade Mall is going for $3,000 right now. Granted, we have much larger units than downtown, but we're also far outside the core.

Also, I'd love to know the size of the catchment area they're using for each station and which housing typologies are included.
It's based using apartments and condos. The catchment area size is within one mile of a station.

Last edited:
Boy has that any day now opening the tunnel to the fare area at Kipling come and gone with a calendar to throw darts at for the right date now.

Crews were grinding the floor tiles on Sat and working on the railing.

The other big surprise is the Kiss & Ride elevator is having maintenance work on it only 5 months after it went into service. A good example why there needs to be 2. To make matter worse, Mississauga doesn't have notices up advising riders that the Kiss and Ride elevator is out of service at their bus terminal. Is it one hand doesn't know what the other is doing or we don't give a shit?

Repaving has been taking place for a few areas for the site.

May 15
51181700551_4e8773a083_b.jpg

51181700641_4dda2d3aa0_b.jpg

51182788930_d70bf3c9fd_b.jpg

51182788970_33c0520690_b.jpg

51181918708_a8d3f4e941_b.jpg

51182789160_1ee42a9eb8_b.jpg

May 15
Both elevators at Keele Station should be in service by the summer as both the interior and exterior work is finish. No idea on the elevators themselves or the electrical for them.
51181917923_d37c20d931_b.jpg

51181700041_ebf99e7bbf_b.jpg

51182489559_aa9f41423f_b.jpg

51181918083_c4a3e21768_b.jpg

51181015327_4df06c3fb3_b.jpg

51182489774_bcfa67e66d_b.jpg

51181700346_c23f42f263_b.jpg

51181015587_06ebe6832e_b.jpg

51181918388_5307fc3009_b.jpg

51182788795_fabc8ed516_b.jpg

Back