News   Apr 24, 2024
 984     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 630     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

But unfunded and can be easily push back when the tap is dried for that year.

Not correct.

Line 2 ATC is above the line (meaning in the funded capital budget)

You can see over 900M committed over the next 10 years; and the Line 1 project will be subtantially wrapped by the end of 2022; the rest is for Line 2

1619948184914.png

This tender call just appeared on Merx.

The Engineering, Construction and Expansion section of the Construction department of the TTC, requires the services of a design consultant, to assist the TTC in the design and engineering of a second access point (gate) at the Leslie Barns Maintenance and Storage Facility and a second, two-track route to the TTC revenue streetcar network. The term of the Contract shall be for a period of four (4) years from the date of Notification of Award.

The Engineering, Construction and Expansion section of the Construction department of the TTC, requires the services of a design consultant, to assist the TTC in the design and engineering of a second access point (gate) at the Leslie Barns Maintenance and Storage Facility and a second, two-track route to the TTC revenue streetcar network. The term of the Contract shall be for a period of four (4) years from the date of Notification of Award.
Is access via Knox back on the table? I can't imagine this is for Commissioners given that they pushed out the plan to install all the necessary bridges.

Is access via Knox back on the table? I can't imagine this is for Commissioners given that they pushed out the plan to install all the necessary bridges.
I assume either Knox or maybe Coxwell would be the more immediate choices. I agree that, though Commissioners might eventually get tracks, that's decades away.

That's interesting - a route along Commissioners seems better from a Waterfront Transit perspective, but yeah I suspect they'd go with Knox or Woodfield.
I take it the TTC has realised that a single point of failure (car accident, track/overhead damage, police incident etc) along the route to their largest streetcar barn is... too much of a risk!

I assume either Knox or maybe Coxwell would be the more immediate choices. I agree that, though Commissioners might eventually get tracks, that's decades away.

Knox on its own is unlikely.

The road is currently one-way, and has parking; obviously that can be changed, but the tender says they want 2 tracks (so unidirectional north and south, plus east-west on Lakeshore).

To me that leaves only 2 obvious choices (unless one is starting on Commissioners).

1) Coxwell, this is easiest as its 4 lanes, no new punch throughs required, publc land ownership on all 4 corners w/Lakeshore, and you have a turnaround loop at Queen. Though it is longer than the option below.

2) Knox + Woodfield. This allows a single unidirectional track on each street which makes it much easier to manage with less change to existing traffic operations. But both roads would have to be punched through to Lakeshore. Both would require traffic lights at Lakeshore. Woodfield would require a light at Eastern; both would require lights at Queen; and one road would have to swap directions.

All of which suggests to me that #1 is more likely.

A less likely option, would be a shortened Commissioners run that could go to Carlaw, but offers no obvious advantages over Coxwell, would likely be more expensive, and there is no turn loop available near Carlaw/Queen.

Last edited:
Reactions: DSC
Knox on its own is unlikely.

The road is currently one-way, and has parking; obviously that can be changed, but the tender says they want 2 tracks (so unidirectional north and south, plus east-west on Lakeshore).

To me that leaves only 2 obvious choices (unless one is starting on Commissioners).

1) Coxwell, this is easiest as its 4 lanes, no new punch throughs required, publc land ownership on all 4 corners w/Lakeshore, and you have a turnaround loop at Queen. Though it is longer than the option below.

2) Knox + Woodfield. This allows a single unidirectional track on each street which makes it much easier to manage with less change to existing traffic operations. But both roads would have to be punched through to Lakeshore. Both would require traffic lights at Lakeshore. Woodfield would require a light at Eastern; both would require lights at Queen; and one road would have to swap directions.

All of which suggests to me that #1 is more likely.

A less likely option, would be a shortened Commissioners run could go to Carlaw, but offers no obvious advantages over Coxwell, would likely be more expensive, and there is no turn loop available near Carlaw/Queen.
The Coxwell route was examined at the time and rejected early from further consideration. There are a couple of slides I found from Steve Munro's blog (https://stevemunro.ca/2013/04/13/the-saga-of-leslie-barns/) that seem to show how they narrowed their choices:
1620131466844.png

1620131588779.png

Additionally, both Knox and Woodfield were objected to by Canada Post due to their facility adjacent to both roads on Eastern. Woodfield. Information on that can be found in Steve Munro's article here: https://stevemunro.ca/2011/07/07/the-route-to-ashbridge-carhouse/

My own suspicions about Knox are drawn from the fact that it was the second choice. I believe they were considering routing cars through Russell so they would avoid the one way section on Knox. As a backup connection to Leslie it might encounter reduced opposition from Canada Post allowing it to be built.

I'd doubt Coxwell because it is long and that makes it expensive. Since this is a redundant connection to the network, it's already going to be tough to get funding.

The Coxwell route was examined at the time and rejected early from further consideration. There are a couple of slides I found from Steve Munro's blog (https://stevemunro.ca/2013/04/13/the-saga-of-leslie-barns/) that seem to show how they narrowed their choices:
View attachment 317169
View attachment 317170
Additionally, both Knox and Woodfield were objected to by Canada Post due to their facility adjacent to both roads on Eastern. Woodfield. Information on that can be found in Steve Munro's article here: https://stevemunro.ca/2011/07/07/the-route-to-ashbridge-carhouse/

My own suspicions about Knox are drawn from the fact that it was the second choice. I believe they were considering routing cars through Russell so they would avoid the one way section on Knox. As a backup connection to Leslie it might encounter reduced opposition from Canada Post allowing it to be built.

I'd doubt Coxwell because it is long and that makes it expensive. Since this is a redundant connection to the network, it's already going to be tough to get funding.

Good find.

If routing the north of eastern portion through Russell yard; that would eat some storage capacity for streetcars that's badly needed. Looks like space for about 8 Flexities.

I could see that choice though; however, Canada Post would have to acquiesce.

If using Connaught Avenue (solely), it would require making the road bi-directional, and presumably cutting the parking.

Though one could plausibly compromised and do NB through Russell and SB via Connaught.

Reactions: max
Good find.

If routing the north of eastern portion through Russell yard; that would eat some storage capacity for streetcars that's badly needed. Looks like space for about 8 Flexities.

I could see that choice though; however, Canada Post would have to acquiesce.

If using Connaught Avenue (solely), it would require making the road bi-directional, and presumably cutting the parking.

Though one could plausibly compromised and do NB through Russell and SB via Connaught.
They were initially going to lose 14 spaces but cut it to 10:
1620134594876.png

Since it's a backup access I'd just keep using it for storage (albiet the last place you put cars and the first one you take 'em from) and develop a plan to move them out of the way quickly when the route needs to be activated as the alternate route to the network. Alternatively make sure yard operations keeps them clear during the morning service buildup as that's when you'd most likely need it, and need it quickly.

I'd agree that using Connaught for southbound is probably worth considering. I'd think they'd need to add a signal (though they probably would anyway for northbound access) for cars to move from the ladder track to the centre of the road at the west end of the yard. This would be a unique lane change for the network because of all the nearby special work.

Back