News   Apr 26, 2024
 680     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 240     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 718     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

I love the way the Azur's use their screens to provide connecting route info. I hardly see the TR's LED maps as the fault of the Bombardier design however, I'm sure that they're quite capable of installing LCD screens instead if the buyer specs (and is willing to pay) for them. Pretty sure those LED boards we all dislike are the result of decisions taken by the TTC long, long ago...

The TTC could have installed LED or LCD screens on the CLRV, but stuck with the rollsigns. Buses which had a lower lifespan than streetcars had the electronic signs.

Last edited:
I love the way the Azur's use their screens to provide connecting route info. I hardly see the TR's LED maps as the fault of the Bombardier design however, I'm sure that they're quite capable of installing LCD screens instead if the buyer specs (and is willing to pay) for them. Pretty sure those LED boards we all dislike are the result of decisions taken by the TTC long, long ago...
Giambrone was very proud of them. I was not.

The LED Screens are woefully under utilized. They need to be set up in a way to provide real time alerts but I suspect that is not a real possibility at this time.

Looks good! Hopefully they will come out with something like this or more in updated styling in line with European and Asian countries
Thank you!
Sort of reminds me of the Tobu 70000 Series trains in Tokyo, which you can see in the pic below.
View attachment 267190

Personally I like the more streamlined European and Asian style trains however I will say I love your use of the offset front door. Its something you see all over East Asia and I've always liked it and I am sure operators do as well due to the much expanded cab space it offers. For example you can see here the operators cab of a Toei 10-300 Series train from Tokyo. I think Operators would like the additional space.
View attachment 267191
The offset door is actually something the TTC was considering, so I decided to incorporate that.

I actually had this sketched out in 2018, but kinda put it away for a while. Originally I had the door in the centre. Wasn’t until the TTC released their RFI, that I regained the interest.

Works for the Eglinton East bus lanes have started at Kingston Road and Morningside. So far it's a red painted lane with a sign noting the lane is used for buses and cyclists mounted of on one of the street lights.

Last edited:
Would still like to see how they are going to pull of the Dufferin Street bus only lanes.
Bus lanes are not happening south of queen. Eglinton-Queen is uncertain. They’ll need to do more in-depth study. The rest should be possible. For certain, this will remove all the parking and stopping. But i feel like this is such a route that’s been really suffering. And I don’t even ride the bus, but the problems it faces lies with reliability. So I think it’s needed badly.

When did TTC paint the southbound track on Bathurst St red at Fleet??? It painted like bus HOV lanes. Long over due and should paint the turning tracks as well.

Was on a 510 today with no yellow banner that have been on the streetcars for sometime. Saw a number today with the banner and this the first I haven't seen one with out one on in sometime. Did someone cut it and TTC removed it or is TTC starting to remove them??

No sitting signs are being being abused to the point people are take them off and place them on other seats or sit in those seat with they bags on the other. Makes no different what type of vehicle or the age of the person from young to old.

As for Dufferin bus lanes, you should be able to hear the screaming that you are taking parking spots away from from Eglinton To Peel. A number of these people have no backyard to park the car in the first place or a free place they could park in the first place. Then the old story that a family has more than one car in it or the person who has rented a room in their place.

Last edited:
Sept 06
50318171531_c131c02486_b.jpg

Here's the press release for the restored skylight and artwork at Glencairn:

Official photo from today's presser:

1599925452950.png

The tender for the 2021 new streetcar track on Wellington is, finally, posted.

bnr-constserv2.jpg

Notice of Intended Procurement
ecblank.gif
Solicitation
number:
Commodity:Construction Services, Asphalt paving
Description:Reconstruction of TTC Track Allowance and Landscaping work.
Request for Tender for Reconstruction of TTC Track Allowance and Landscaping work on Wellington Street from west of Yonge Street to Church Street and on Church Street from Front Street to King Street.
Issue date:September 11, 2020
ecblank.gif
Closing date:September 28, 2020
at 12:00 Noon

Here's the press release for the restored skylight and artwork at Glencairn:

Official photo from today's presser:

View attachment 269130
Maybe I'm hard on Tory, but is there nothing better for him to do than attend a skylight replacement ribbon cutting?

Maybe I'm hard on Tory, but is there nothing better for him to do than attend a skylight replacement ribbon cutting?

Ribbon cutting, flag raising, key-to-the-city, etc. are all part of the job for Mayor. Especially since Queen Elizabeth is not available.

queen-elizabeth-ii-cuts-a-ribbon-at-the-wholesale-fruit-centre-by-picture-id886712102

From link.

Mayors (and premiers, prime ministers or even UTers) need to prioritise things and it seems reasonable to me to devote some time to celebratory events. If Tory was not (apparently) keeping up on other things one might criticise ribbon cutting as being a poor use of his time but he seems to work 7/7 and is generally doing a pretty good job and keeping important files under review. Having him spent 30 minutes or so celebrating something in these trying times sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Back