News   Apr 26, 2024
 511     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 208     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 678     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

I think at least part of the reason he’s there is because it’s a collaboration between the city and federal government. And in these times, when the federal government is the one opening the purse...probably a great idea to show some gratitude.

You may never know when you’ll need their help again.

I have no issue with him being at these kind of events, after all he's the mayor of the city so he's indirectly responsible for overseeing projects like this.

My problem is when you have Provincial/Federal Ministers, who like to attend photo-ops every other day for the smallest of projects (ie: opening a Tim Horton's in a GO Train station) that have no impact on their portfolio. I can guarantee you if Stephen Del Duca was still Minister of Transportation, he would've been the first one to show up for this. Heck, he would make a photo-op out of a regular TTC rail replacement construction project.

Have you guys heard of the vending machine selling PPE at the Oakville GO station? Probably not. But if someone like Del Duca was around, you would be damn sure a photo-op would've been held at the crack of dawn to celebrate the "milestone achievement".

Hey it was a Saturday morning...........so he didn't have to defer any '9 to 5' duties.

And its not like there's much to do on Saturday mornings, unless you're like me and go to the farmer's market.............

I have no issue with him being at these kind of events, after all he's the mayor of the city so he's indirectly responsible for overseeing projects like this.

My problem is when you have Provincial/Federal Ministers, who like to attend photo-ops every other day for the smallest of projects (ie: opening a Tim Horton's in a GO Train station) that have no impact on their portfolio. I can guarantee you if Stephen Del Duca was still Minister of Transportation, he would've been the first one to show up for this. Heck, he would make a photo-op out of a regular TTC rail replacement construction project.

Have you guys heard of the vending machine selling PPE at the Oakville GO station? Probably not. But if someone like Del Duca was around, you would be damn sure a photo-op would've been held at the crack of dawn to celebrate the "milestone achievement".

Which is why it's baffling that the Liberal party picked such a shameless, self-aggrandizing phony as their leader...

Which is why it's baffling that the Liberal party picked such a shameless, self-aggrandizing phony as their leader...

Better choice than what the Conservatives offered, that's why. There are other parties, but with "first-past-the-post", the winner is usually doesn't get 50%+1. That why we need proportional representation.

I noticed yesterday that the TTC are finally digging up the band of concrete on the outside of the streetcar tracks on Leslie south of Lake Shore. This started to break up not long after it was laid and they seemed to be ignoring it (though clearly a deficiency). They have, as they told me they would, replaced the concrete with asphalt. Let's hope it works better as the broken concrete was really quite dangerous and was like driving over 'rumble strips".

I noticed yesterday that the TTC are finally digging up the band of concrete on the outside of the streetcar tracks on Leslie south of Lake Shore. This started to break up not long after it was laid and they seemed to be ignoring it (though clearly a deficiency). They have, as they told me they would, replaced the concrete with asphalt. Let's hope it works better as the broken concrete was really quite dangerous and was like driving over 'rumble strips".

"Rumble strips" actually would get motor vehicles OFF the tracks. Using cobblestones instead of smoother concrete or asphalt is a good way to get motor vehicles out of the way of the streetcars.

TTC-2894-and-2300-UCRS-charter-at-Spadina-and-Bloor-01-26-1963-Bill-Thomson-IMG-530es-despec-cc-shrp-1280x949.jpg

From link.

The replacing of cobblestones was of benefit for motor vehicles, giving more space on the roads for cars.

Overall Agenda for the next TTC Meeting, on April 24 is here:

1600457853687.png

It kind of boggles my mind that Presto has been such a gong show. Couldn't we have more or less taken another system that's out there off the rack and implemented it? Find the best in class and copy their system? And why doesn't all of Canada use the same transit card? Think of the economies of scale and convenience of travel if you could use the same card for visits in Vancouver or Montreal.

It kind of boggles my mind that Presto has been such a gong show. Couldn't we have more or less taken another system that's out there off the rack and implemented it? Find the best in class and copy their system? And why doesn't all of Canada use the same transit card? Think of the economies of scale and convenience of travel if you could use the same card for visits in Vancouver or Montreal.
Yes, but PRESTO was forced on the TTC by the Provincial government (partly to facilitate fare integration) . Go and read the many articles on it on Steve Munro's blog. Look at the City Auditors 2019 Report on it too.

Back